Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tandy

Matt Ryan - Under Siege and performing well 2018

42 posts in this topic

I looked through the first few pages, but didn't see this posted.  

Here is the link to an article on the Falcoholics web site:  Matt Ryan 2018

Matt Ryan’s 2018 was one of his greatest years, and it was spent under siege

Ryan got hit a lot. Was it out of line with career norms?

By Dave Choate  Feb 10, 2019, 8:00am EST

1064358454.jpg.0.jpgPhoto by Chris Graythen/Getty Images

I set out, with this article, to see how Matt Ryan’s 2018 performance stacked up against the rest of his career when you consider the number of sacks and hits he took. I was expecting to see that Ryan, like most quarterbacks, fares best when he’s not getting knocked around by defenses, and that 2018 would prove to be the best year of his career when he was genuinely under siege. A true outlier, in other words.

I sort of found that, but I also found that Ryan’s career doesn’t quite follow the neat and tidy narrative.

The initial takeaway from this chart is going to be an odd one, one that sort of upends everything the Falcons keep telling us about how important it is to protect Matt Ryan. But that is, quite naturally, not the story we should actually take away from this, so go ahead and review it and let’s come on back. Please note that these numbers are, as far as I am aware, only available back to 2009.

2018: 42 sacks (13th), 102 QB hits (6th)

2017: 24 sacks (27th), 87 QB hits (15th)

2016: 37 sacks (11th), 106 QB hits (6th)

2015: 32 sacks (23rd), 89 QB hits (17th)

2014: 31 sacks (19th), 89 QB hits (13th)

2013: 44 sacks (10th), 100 QB hits (5th)

2012: 28 sacks (25th), 83 QB hits (8th)

2011: 26 sacks (27th), 84 QB hits (7th)

2010: 23 sacks (30th), 69 QB hits (21st)

2009: 27 sacks (25th), 67 QB hits (21st)

In light of this, Matt Ryan has had his three best seasons when the Falcons have allowed somewhere in the top ten most quarterback hits in a given season, and a pair of lesser seasons (a still very good 2011 and um 2013) when facing the same. Ryan has been impressively durable all these years taking a huge number of hits and, especially over the last several years, getting sacked quite often. But does that mean he doesn’t need quality protection to thrive?

Sort of. The 2016 team was hellbent on making big plays happen, which meant more time in the pocket for Ryan and a greater strain on a very capable offensive line. Ryan took more hits and sacks that year—the highest total in his entire career—because the offense wanted him to hang in there until a killer play materialized. They didn’t always, but they did often enough that the Falcons enjoyed the best offensive season in franchise history, one with a terrific rushing attack to balance things out. The story was similar in 2012, when the offensive line was stone solid and Ryan was trying to push the ball downfield, though he did not have the advantage of a compelling ground game this year.

Otherwise, things went as you’d expect. Ryan was quite good in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2017 (even if the stats didn’t show it) when he was pretty well-protected, and in those early years the Falcons weren’t quite so gung-ho about going downfield and largely had a bruising rushing attack to help out. The real outlier on this list, then, still is 2018, when Ryan’s line was crumbling around him, he took the second-highest number of hits and sacks of his career, and he still put together a campaign that would credibly have been MVP-worthy if not for the team’s poor record and the season Patrick Mahomes put together.

The upshot of this is that Ryan is still very good, very durable, and very capable of making plays under duress, which sets the Falcons’ offense up quite well for years to come. But the Falcons would not have been able to pull off their 2016 success without an offensive line that gave them the time to unwind some elaborate machinations and get receiving options into positions for big plays, and with Dirk Koetter coming back on board, it would be a mistake to suggest that Ryan’s relative success in 2018 would be repeatable with poor blocking in front of him again.

In all seriousness, thanks for sharing hadn't seen it.  Will be interesting to see what DK 2.0 looks like with the Falcons.  If we can improve the line, this offense should be great.

Tandy and Ergo Proxy like this

8 minutes ago, kschreck said:

Clearly the title is misleading, I was told by very reliable sources that MR2 can't perform at a high level without a clean pocket.

And that "everything has to be perfect"

Tandy, Ergo Proxy and kschreck like this

3 minutes ago, metatron360 said:

Can't make those around him look better, needs better players to be "average"

Yeah, when asked who does Ryan make look better than they actually are, I always say, the OLine.

Atl Falcon and Tandy like this

58 minutes ago, Tandy said:

I looked through the first few pages, but didn't see this posted.  

Here is the link to an article on the Falcoholics web site:  Matt Ryan 2018

Matt Ryan’s 2018 was one of his greatest years, and it was spent under siege

Ryan got hit a lot. Was it out of line with career norms?

By Dave Choate  Feb 10, 2019, 8:00am EST

1064358454.jpg.0.jpgPhoto by Chris Graythen/Getty Images

I set out, with this article, to see how Matt Ryan’s 2018 performance stacked up against the rest of his career when you consider the number of sacks and hits he took. I was expecting to see that Ryan, like most quarterbacks, fares best when he’s not getting knocked around by defenses, and that 2018 would prove to be the best year of his career when he was genuinely under siege. A true outlier, in other words.

I sort of found that, but I also found that Ryan’s career doesn’t quite follow the neat and tidy narrative.

The initial takeaway from this chart is going to be an odd one, one that sort of upends everything the Falcons keep telling us about how important it is to protect Matt Ryan. But that is, quite naturally, not the story we should actually take away from this, so go ahead and review it and let’s come on back. Please note that these numbers are, as far as I am aware, only available back to 2009.

2018: 42 sacks (13th), 102 QB hits (6th)

2017: 24 sacks (27th), 87 QB hits (15th)

2016: 37 sacks (11th), 106 QB hits (6th)

2015: 32 sacks (23rd), 89 QB hits (17th)

2014: 31 sacks (19th), 89 QB hits (13th)

2013: 44 sacks (10th), 100 QB hits (5th)

2012: 28 sacks (25th), 83 QB hits (8th)

2011: 26 sacks (27th), 84 QB hits (7th)

2010: 23 sacks (30th), 69 QB hits (21st)

2009: 27 sacks (25th), 67 QB hits (21st)

In light of this, Matt Ryan has had his three best seasons when the Falcons have allowed somewhere in the top ten most quarterback hits in a given season, and a pair of lesser seasons (a still very good 2011 and um 2013) when facing the same. Ryan has been impressively durable all these years taking a huge number of hits and, especially over the last several years, getting sacked quite often. But does that mean he doesn’t need quality protection to thrive?

Sort of. The 2016 team was hellbent on making big plays happen, which meant more time in the pocket for Ryan and a greater strain on a very capable offensive line. Ryan took more hits and sacks that year—the highest total in his entire career—because the offense wanted him to hang in there until a killer play materialized. They didn’t always, but they did often enough that the Falcons enjoyed the best offensive season in franchise history, one with a terrific rushing attack to balance things out. The story was similar in 2012, when the offensive line was stone solid and Ryan was trying to push the ball downfield, though he did not have the advantage of a compelling ground game this year.

Otherwise, things went as you’d expect. Ryan was quite good in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2017 (even if the stats didn’t show it) when he was pretty well-protected, and in those early years the Falcons weren’t quite so gung-ho about going downfield and largely had a bruising rushing attack to help out. The real outlier on this list, then, still is 2018, when Ryan’s line was crumbling around him, he took the second-highest number of hits and sacks of his career, and he still put together a campaign that would credibly have been MVP-worthy if not for the team’s poor record and the season Patrick Mahomes put together.

The upshot of this is that Ryan is still very good, very durable, and very capable of making plays under duress, which sets the Falcons’ offense up quite well for years to come. But the Falcons would not have been able to pull off their 2016 success without an offensive line that gave them the time to unwind some elaborate machinations and get receiving options into positions for big plays, and with Dirk Koetter coming back on board, it would be a mistake to suggest that Ryan’s relative success in 2018 would be repeatable with poor blocking in front of him again.

So pretty much clean the line up and watch matt pick apart defenses.got it.

Tandy and NeonDeion like this

3 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Let’s face it, more reasons for MR haters to repeatedly punch themselves in the face for being so darn ignorant.  MR makes a living slapping those fools upside their thick skulls.  

It's a shame that they don't notice that they're getting slapped.

4 hours ago, Lowndesfalc said:

His durability is amazing to me. Only missed three games in 10 years is it? 8.75 years since he’s missed a game. He’s been a hammer. 

2 games in 11 years.

knock on wood

21462700_10212380540461480_3423147411719

Lowndesfalc and athell like this

4 hours ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

So pretty much clean the line up and watch matt pick apart defenses.got it.

Actually, kinda the opposite oddly enough hah.  Matt is gonna get his no matter what is going on around him, this just shows that where many QBs crumble in the face of pressure, Matt actually does some of his best work.

That's my dang QB!

1 minute ago, athell said:

Actually, kinda the opposite oddly enough hah.  Matt is gonna get his no matter what is going on around him, this just shows that where many QBs crumble in the face of pressure, Matt actually does some of his best work.

That's my dang QB!

I swear - sitting at the games - you see a lot more than they show on tv when it comes to those hits after the throw - and sometimes, he's knocked around like a rag doll - and just gets back up.   It's crazy.

Anytime I see someone posting about him not having heart or that he's playing afraid - I just shake my head.   They are out of their minds.

athell, HASHBROWN3 and Ergo Proxy like this

Just now, Tandy said:

I swear - sitting at the games - you see a lot more than they show on tv when it comes to those hits after the throw - and sometimes, he's knocked around like a rag doll - and just gets back up.   It's crazy.

Yup.  There have been a few games where Matt got his legs twisted up under him and I popped up and was like "Well there goes his season" thinking he shredded every ligament in his leg but he pops up, swears at his linemen and keeps going lol

HASHBROWN3 and Tandy like this

46 minutes ago, robertap said:

It's a shame that they don't notice that they're getting slapped.

They’re viscous, hateful & deceitful people who have ulterior motives.  Some of which, if the truth were to be told, would lock up these forums.  Suffice it to say they’re wretched, miserable folks.  God Bless em.  

It doesn’t take much of a careful eye to see just how much MR has meant to our organization.  I’m not his spokesman.  But at the same time I won’t sit around & allow people to get away with their sick, demented agenda.  

I shouldn’t snap at them, but it’s their evil way to remain silent, in the shadows, ignoring all the incredible things he’s doing in his career. Yet, when he makes a mistake, they show up like jackals & buzzards to impugn him.  Cowards.  

The more Matt performs with great distinction, the angrier they become. Smack, smack smack...Matt continues to tenderize their thick skulls.  It’s like clockwork.  They began with very little credibility & have lost all sense of reality dating back many years ago.  Shameful.

1 hour ago, athell said:

That's my dang QB!

Dude is elite regardless of what ppl want to say he proves it year after year

1 hour ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

Dude is elite regardless of what ppl want to say he proves it year after year

People talk while only looking at stat lines and either don’t watch the games or even understand what they are seeing.

Our 2017 OL was okay until Levitre went down. 2018 line would’ve been a bit better had Andy and Brandon played all year but after those dudes, Free, and RS regression happened its amazing we had streaks of being unstoppable despite poor run game or pass blocking; sometimes both and eventually teams caught on.

Get us DK and a LOS first approach this offseason, we’ll be back.

The hits and sacks are just stats by themselves. You take shots in the longer developing stuff in 2016 but overall it was a good OL because we paved a high level ground game. 2017 was very controlled and out of sorts as an offense; especially those drops and like 1/4 of the drops becoming INTs.

Evaluating individual players should be outside of a sheet of paper with statistical grades. Ryan had arguably a better 2017 season but was let down by drops and our RZ strategies. great statistical rebound this year but a drop in efficiency compared to 2018, its Why his PFF grade was better in 17 than 18.

Funny how grades and stats work. That said, given his lack of support the success grade of the offense was better and he was a huge reason even if systems like PFF says he wasn’t as efficient as 17. How can you be having to throw more without a run game and the OL falling off of a cliff?

2 hours ago, athell said:

Yup.  There have been a few games where Matt got his legs twisted up under him and I popped up and was like "Well there goes his season" thinking he shredded every ligament in his leg but he pops up, swears at his linemen and keeps going lol

Yp1GNzD.gif

Tandy, HASHBROWN3 and athell like this

5 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

They’re viscous, hateful & deceitful people who have ulterior motives.  Some of which, if the truth were to be told, would lock up these forums.  Suffice it to say they’re wretched, miserable folks.  God Bless em.  

It doesn’t take much of a careful eye to see just how much MR has meant to our organization.  I’m not his spokesman.  But at the same time I won’t sit around & allow people to get away with their sick, demented agenda.  

I shouldn’t snap at them, but it’s their evil way to remain silent, in the shadows, ignoring all the incredible things he’s doing in his career. Yet, when he makes a mistake, they show up like jackals & buzzards to impugn him.  Cowards.  

The more Matt performs with great distinction, the angrier they become. Smack, smack smack...Matt continues to tenderize their thick skulls.  It’s like clockwork.  They began with very little credibility & have lost all sense of reality dating back many years ago.  Shameful.

Nine times out of 10 they just won't admit it. they let their pride get in the way.....

24 minutes ago, DirtyBird8711 said:

Nine times out of 10 they just won't admit it. they let their pride get in the way.....

So true.

Not surprising because they come to the boards with a purposeful & flawed agenda to begin with.  :shrug:

Ergo Proxy likes this