Sidecar Falcon

NFL Running Backs Are Easily Replaced | PFF

213 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I'm not a fan of PFF but I think they nailed it in this piece.  RB success is so much more a product of the line, scheme, QB and passing game efficiency.  I think most people on TATF had said this one way or another, but this video states it pretty clearly. 

15 minutes ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

Yep, hated that we gave Free the giant contract, could have spent it on a dominant lineman on either side of the ball.

We wouldn't have spent it on the line anyway. When have we ever spent a giant contract on the line and it worked out? Sam Baker doesn't count

10 minutes ago, Vandy said:

You guys crack me up.....diss PFF in here on a daily basis, except when it agrees with your narratives. 

Now you see says the blind man

1 minute ago, Lornoth said:

Yeah we did fine without Freeman. 

Oh wait.

Of our issues last year, being without Free is very low on that list. I don't even think ray rice would have had much success behind our line

PokerSteve likes this

3 minutes ago, HotLantaFalcon said:

Of our issues last year, being without Free is very low on that list. I don't even think ray rice would have had much success behind our line

You're not alone in that belief but I disagree. Our OLine didn't make many big holes last year but Teco/Ito missed a lot of small ones.

falconsd56 and Vandy like this

Counting on Freeman to be our main back this next year is going to kill our offense. Dude is a walking MASH unit and won't last 3 games. When we let TECO walk and Freeman gets injured our run game will be pretty toast.

We should cut him

5 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

Yeah we did fine without Freeman. 

Oh wait.

We expected him to be healthy and we lost that gamble, sad part is even when he is healthy he is a huge liability in pass blocking.

Next year we won't have Teco and are still going to try and depend on him to be healthy which he won't.

2 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

We expected him to be healthy and we lost that gamble, sad part is even when he is healthy he is a huge liability in pass blocking.

Next year we won't have Teco and are still going to try and depend on him to be healthy which he won't.

People forget because of the SB but Free is actually a good pass blocker. Health is certainly concerning though. Unfortunately I don't think we have the ability to bring in a 1b kind of RB this year with all the other positions that need to be addressed, so we'll have to pray Free's okay.

Vandy and rings639 like this

Yes and no. Great lines can make a lot of backs look great. Great backs can also make up for sub par blocking. Football is team game and it can be difficult to discern who is more important. The best offenses have their elite players who can do everything. Then you have your role players who help fill in the gaps. You also need a great coordinator who can utilize all those pieces correctly.

My last point is if backs are so easy to replace then why did our offense struggle without Freeman and the Rams without Gurley. Imagine the Saints without Kamara. Great running backs stress the **** out of defenses and change how defenses play.

19 minutes ago, Jpg428gggg said:

Yes and no. Great lines can make a lot of backs look great. Great backs can also make up for sub par blocking. Football is team game and it can be difficult to discern who is more important. The best offenses have their elite players who can do everything. Then you have your role players who help fill in the gaps. You also need a great coordinator who can utilize all those pieces correctly.

My last point is if backs are so easy to replace then why did our offense struggle without Freeman and the Rams without Gurley. Imagine the Saints without Kamara. Great running backs stress the **** out of defenses and change how defenses play.

Falcons offensive problems weren’t solely on the shoulders of losing Freeman. There were more mitigating factors than that. 

As for Gurley, the Rams were still able to win without him. Anderson (an RB they picked up off the street) also put up big numbers during Gurley’s downtime. 

Freeman is making 8 mill a year.  Gurley, Bell and Saquon(when due) will be getting double that.  Not really overpaying for a 2 time pro bowler. 

PFF has guys going crazy over numbers.  Yal do know they employ humans right?  Humans who have to interpret game film and then uses metrics to gauge where to put guys. That means errors and perspective will change from man to man.

Vandy, athell, Lornoth and 1 other like this

49 minutes ago, HotLantaFalcon said:

What a crock....

47 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Counting on Freeman to be our main back this next year is going to kill our offense. Dude is a walking MASH unit and won't last 3 games. When we let TECO walk and Freeman gets injured our run game will be pretty toast.

We should cut him

What a Crock 2.0

16 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Falcons offensive problems weren’t solely on the shoulders of losing Freeman. There were more mitigating factors than that. 

As for Gurley, the Rams were still able to win without him. Anderson (an RB they picked up off the street) also put up big numbers during Gurley’s downtime. 

Not solely, but a major variable.

youngbloodz likes this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Not solely, but a major part.

I wouldn’t say it was major in comparison to playcalling, scheming, and player utilization. I felt these were the biggest issues with our offense last season. Everything else was peanuts compared to that. 

1 hour ago, Flying Falcon said:

We wouldn't have spent it on the line anyway. When have we ever spent a giant contract on the line and it worked out? Sam Baker doesn't count

Alex Mack, Jake Matthews' is working out pretty well. If anything, our bargain bin nonsense hasn't worked out.

20 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I wouldn’t say it was major in comparison to playcalling, scheming, and player utilization. I felt these were the biggest issues with our offense last season. Everything else was peanuts compared to that. 

They were all variables, but having no running game impacts playcalling, scheming, and player utilization. 

Falcons were near bottom of league in rushing until we hit end-of-year paper tiger part of schedule...even with that, we  finished 27th in rushing yards. Not having team’s elite RB impacted offense greatly. 

FalconFanSince1970 likes this