Cole World

Five offseason moves to improve every NFC South and NFC West team

33 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I’m not sure how I missed this part from the article: the Falcons can afford to offer Beasley 62 million over 4 years.  

Yeah, that’s not happening

Don't skip over this part:

Quote

....and nothing else fully guaranteed until next March, when the Falcons would either decline their option on the remainder of Beasley's deal or pick up $34 million in guarantees over the subsequent two seasons.

4yrs $62MM is just the gross amount, but only $8MM is guaranteed year one. The rest is dependent upon performance in 2019. If he doesn't perform, the contract is voided and Vic is cut free and clear. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vel said:

Don't skip over this part:

4yrs $62MM is just the gross amount, but only $8MM is guaranteed year one. The rest is dependent upon performance in 2019. If he doesn't perform, the contract is voided and Vic is cut free and clear. 

On a 60 mill contract, I can’t see them agreeing to less than 20-25 guaranteed.  Or am I missing what you’re saying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

On a 60 mill contract, I can’t see them agreeing to less than 20-25 guaranteed.  Or am I missing what you’re saying?

Timing of guarantees. Overall, yes it would be $42MM guaranteed. BUT! Not until March 2020 is the remaining $34MM guaranteed. It's a team option essentially, just like the fifth year option. It's not guaranteed until March 13th. So Vic's salary this year may "say" $12.8MM on the books right now, it's not real until the league year starts. That's how that 4yr $62MM contract would be structured. If Vic goes and has another All Pro season in 2019, they'll exercise the option and Vic will have earned his money. If he doesn't, they cut him and owe him nothing beyond the $8MM he made in 2019 in that scenario. 

FalconsIn2012 and kiwifalcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

All our big contracts are going to eat huge chunks out of our CAP. With Ryan's $30m per, Grady at $18m and Julio at a proposed $19m you've got almost one-third of your total team CAP allocated to 3 players, not even adding in a possible $12m for Beasley. I would not want to be Dimitroff trying to keep everybody you want to keep with what's going to be left.


You're right --- I wouldn't want that task, either!  It'll be a magic trick if we're able to do it --- 



 

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, FalconJim said:


You're right --- I wouldn't want that task, either!  It'll be a magic trick if we're able to do it --- 



 

No magic tricks at all it’s done all over the NFL.

We could go out on a spending spree if we liked it’s just at a point down the road you’d pay the piper.

I really don’t understand what all the angst is about the cap.People put 30 19 17 up there pretending to think there the cap hits every year going foward when in all essence they are not.

When have the Falcons been in cap do do in the last decade outside of 08 and 09 when they were still paying Vick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

No magic tricks at all it’s done all over the NFL.

We could go out on a spending spree if we liked it’s just at a point down the road you’d pay the piper.

I really don’t understand what all the angst is about the cap.People put 30 19 17 up there pretending to think there the cap hits every year going foward when in all essence they are not.

When have the Falcons been in cap do do in the last decade outside of 08 and 09 when they were still paying Vick?


We're not in "cap do do" because, like you say, "we don't go out on a spending spree".  Seems like Rich McKay and Thomas Dimitroff do a great job every year on fudging the numbers around and back-loading contracts, so we don't get in that kind of mess.  But there's no doubt in my mind, if we want to keep all the players we want/need this year, they may be burning the midnight oil for a while --- that is, unless the hammer drops on some other high profile players to give us more CAP!  And at the very least, there's some re-negotiating of contracts...  







 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vel said:

Timing of guarantees. Overall, yes it would be $42MM guaranteed. BUT! Not until March 2020 is the remaining $34MM guaranteed. It's a team option essentially, just like the fifth year option. It's not guaranteed until March 13th. So Vic's salary this year may "say" $12.8MM on the books right now, it's not real until the league year starts. That's how that 4yr $62MM contract would be structured. If Vic goes and has another All Pro season in 2019, they'll exercise the option and Vic will have earned his money. If he doesn't, they cut him and owe him nothing beyond the $8MM he made in 2019 in that scenario. 

Thanks for the education, Vel.  I don’t know much about guarantees  or the nuances on manipulating them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FalconJim said:


We're not in "cap do do" because, like you say, "we don't go out on a spending spree".  Seems like Rich McKay and Thomas Dimitroff do a great job every year on fudging the numbers around and back-loading contracts, so we don't get in that kind of mess.  But there's no doubt in my mind, if we want to keep all the players we want/need this year, they may be burning the midnight oil for a while --- that is, unless the hammer drops on some other high profile players to give us more CAP!  And at the very least, there's some re-negotiating of contracts...  







 

That’s correct and hence why I myself don’t sweat too much on the cap at all.I think one thing we are very prudent financially about how we spend our money and as you point out these guys are very good at it.

FalconJim likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now