Goober Pyle

Potential additions to keep an eye on as Falcons approach free agency

40 posts in this topic

Between Crawford and Senat we don't need any more middling DT's, we need a bonafide #2 (Not saying Senat can't be that, just that he's not proven to be yet). Give me James and either Hunt or Fowler (If he wants a short-term prove-it contract) then draft a DT and an OG in the first two rounds, we'll be in a pretty good position.

Oh yeah and definitely Re-sign Irvin. 

NeonDeion likes this

Donovan Smith(RT) and Zadarius Smith(DE) as the high dollar FA

Draft Cody Ford at 14(move to RG)

Sign a space eater DT after June 1 cuz im sure 1 will be released

DMT11 and mikeg272 like this

No, they don't have to willy-nilly throw money around but by god they'd better be willing to fork over some cash to fix the offensive line.  Matt Ryan is not getting any younger. 

I would draft for defensive line and go free agency for o-line.  From what I hear there are plenty of quality d linemen  this year to be drafted.  

But this team needs proven veteran offensive linemen because it's getting old watching Matt Ryan somehow put up top-5 stats while running for his life every week.   For gods sake he's starting to remind me of Archie Manning. 

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

4 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

yes, for a 3rd and 5th.  so half year with the rams

yeah you said he was on a 1 year deal in a sense that he was a free agent signed to a one year deal. Thought I was trippin

VTCrunkler likes this

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Bucs cut Vinny Curry. Any takers? That's your Brooks Reed/Derrick Shelby right there.

I was really high on him coming out of college & wanted us to draft him.

Then I wanted us to trade for him after the Eagles switched coaching staffs and clearly weren't sure what to do with him & were actively listening to offers.

Then I wanted us to sign him after his contract expired and he became a free agent, but the Bucs got him instead.

As for going after him now... I'm not really sure.

Chip Kelly kinda ruined him. Seriously.

He came out of Marshall as a 266lb 4-3 DE with 23 sacks over his last two seasons in college. Heading into the 2012 draft, he was regarded as arguably the most athletic natural pass rusher in the class. Andy Reid & co. drafted him, but the D completely fell apart in Curry's rookie year, with the DC getting fired a few weeks in to the season. Reid & the rest of his staff were fired once the season ended.

Then came Chip Kelly w/ Billy Davis as his DC, and they switched to a 3-4. Rather than moving Curry to OLB to possibly fit the scheme change, they had him gain a ton of weigh to play 3-4 DE, and essentially caused him to lose a bunch of speed & therefore his pass rushing ability, too. He pretty much got relegated to backup duties, and while he has flashed a bit at times, the transformation is too far gone at this point for him to ever become the kind of player he seemed to be coming out of college.

That said, if he's still got gas i the tank (and he might since he's had pretty low milage throughout his career) he could be a nice rotational DE for us. He's pretty solid against the run & can play all over the line in a 4-3 if need be. He's not gonna get a bunch of sacks, but he can get pressure. Like you said, could be a Reed/Shelby replacement... just wonder if we'd be better served looking for someone younger w/ upside for that role... especially if we end up bringing Bruce Irvin back, too.

30 minutes ago, k-train said:

I was really high on him coming out of college & wanted us to draft him.

Then I wanted us to trade for him after the Eagles switched coaching staffs and clearly weren't sure what to do with him & were actively listening to offers.

Then I wanted us to sign him after his contract expired and he became a free agent, but the Bucs got him instead.

As for going after him now... I'm not really sure.

Chip Kelly kinda ruined him. Seriously.

He came out of Marshall as a 266lb 4-3 DE with 23 sacks over his last two seasons in college. Heading into the 2012 draft, he was regarded as arguably the most athletic natural pass rusher in the class. Andy Reid & co. drafted him, but the D completely fell apart in Curry's rookie year, with the DC getting fired a few weeks in to the season. Reid & the rest of his staff were fired once the season ended.

Then came Chip Kelly w/ Billy Davis as his DC, and they switched to a 3-4. Rather than moving Curry to OLB to possibly fit the scheme change, they had him gain a ton of weigh to play 3-4 DE, and essentially caused him to lose a bunch of speed & therefore his pass rushing ability, too. He pretty much got relegated to backup duties, and while he has flashed a bit at times, the transformation is too far gone at this point for him to ever become the kind of player he seemed to be coming out of college.

That said, if he's still got gas i the tank (and he might since he's had pretty low milage throughout his career) he could be a nice rotational DE for us. He's pretty solid against the run & can play all over the line in a 4-3 if need be. He's not gonna get a bunch of sacks, but he can get pressure. Like you said, could be a Reed/Shelby replacement... just wonder if we'd be better served looking for someone younger w/ upside for that role... especially if we end up bringing Bruce Irvin back, too.

I know he was mentioned a lot here. He's on the market. I think he's out of gas. 

20 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I know he was mentioned a lot here. He's on the market. I think he's out of gas. 

Yeah, I think you're probably right. That ship done sailed.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

4 hours ago, lju713 said:

Donovan Smith(RT) and Zadarius Smith(DE) as the high dollar FA

Draft Cody Ford at 14(move to RG)

Sign a space eater DT after June 1 cuz im sure 1 will be released

The Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud expects the Bucs to use the franchise tag on impending free agent LT Donovan Smith if the sides can't reach a long-term deal.

Tampa Bay has nobody in-house to take over for Smith on the left side, so keeping him seems to be GM Jason Licht's top priority this offseason. The Bucs don't have a ton of cap space, and the tag for offensive linemen is expected to be north of $14 million, but Tampa cleared space with the Vinny Curry release Tuesday and may also cut ties with DT Gerald McCoy to make more room. 25-year-old Smith has started all 64 games for the Bucs since being a second-round pick.

Feb 13, 2019, 10:25 AM
Schwarzwald likes this

I think we will need LOS help on both sides; in the draft and FA, in some form or another. As others have indicated.

Other than our in-house guys like Irvin & VB...what if McCoy is cut? We do have a base DE need but that could solidify us at DT before the draft.

It’s really hard to speak in absolutes. So, generally speaking it may be easier to get a really good OL pick in the first round but overdraft on one and miss on a fit on the DL as a result. If that’s how the Falcons reason given the shorter list of OL compared to DL projected top 20 right now; then we may just focus on OL the most in FA, with cap space under consideration and being more likely to get one of the DL we want than betting on maybe the one OL we like at 14.

However, Falcons could go mid-tier OL FA and thereby have more space remaining for another mid-tier FA move, and prefer BPA in round 1 as a result instead of being tied to LOS completely in round 1.

Another OL by round 3 at the latest to go with FA signings; perhaps trading up into round 2 for a 3rd pick in the top 64...or just go OL with our 2nd pick to begin with.

It will take them projecting the right sort of fit in the draft being available and that should dictate what we try to do in FA; plan A anyway but need backup plans. That’s where it’s hard to cut relatively cheap vets.

If necessary, sacrifice Schraeder post-6/1 for more space. Worst case cut VB if he isn’t extended.

Neither of those 2 guys should cause our offseason roster shaping to fall short by limiting our cap space. 

Basically:

Don’t let their current cap hits prevent our improvement by relying on them and preventing other moves; literally overvaluing/overpaying.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

8 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Wasn’t Fowler traded there mid season?

Mainly due to embarrassment of riches Jags had at DE. Campbell Ngakou were starters. Fowler was PT player. 

8 hours ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

My wish list:

1. Margus Hunt: freak of nature with unheard of strength. Would be a bargain bin find, but would be a nice rotational run dt. 

2. Brandon Graham: need that experienced vet to teach our younguns the ropes.

3. Daryl Williams: I don't like Juwan James. I think Daryl Williams is a lot better and it would hurt the panthers. 

This is a more realistic wishlist compared to others.

Osiruz likes this

3 hours ago, k-train said:

The Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud expects the Bucs to use the franchise tag on impending free agent LT Donovan Smith if the sides can't reach a long-term deal.

Tampa Bay has nobody in-house to take over for Smith on the left side, so keeping him seems to be GM Jason Licht's top priority this offseason. The Bucs don't have a ton of cap space, and the tag for offensive linemen is expected to be north of $14 million, but Tampa cleared space with the Vinny Curry release Tuesday and may also cut ties with DT Gerald McCoy to make more room. 25-year-old Smith has started all 64 games for the Bucs since being a second-round pick.

Feb 13, 2019, 10:25 AM

Well that pipe dream was flushed abruptly. I guess Trenton Brown,Daryl Williams,or Jawaun James will be available. Im sure the market is gonna price them out of our range. After signing Jarrett back we need to sign a OL with some of the cap space left over.