Dutty Ole Bird

Matthews appreciation thread

61 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Honestly, I’m good with Risner in Rd 2.  I don’t want Rd 1 OL

dont think Risner reach the 2nd round... I used to but i think there will be a run on O-Line like last year

Falconsin2012 likes this

20 minutes ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

I think tbh the bust risk is much higher with cody ford. I don't know if he can get away with his 1/4 crouch in the nfl.

He's just not a fit inp this scheme a d I think his stock is going to fall after the combine

Dutty Ole Bird likes this

14 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Honestly, I’m good with Risner in Rd 2.  I don’t want Rd 1 OL

Risner going to be good. I like Cajuste. If we can get him in round 2 would be nice. He can play both guard and RT. Lindstrom is my first choice though...he's perfect for what we do.

Vandy and Falconsin2012 like this

39 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

The best thing you can say about a guy like Mathews is nothing because if a guy and the other 5 guys upfront aren’t being mentioned means there doing there jobs.Which usually means good things for Ryan and the team.

People don't like boring OL. Would struggle to name a ton better with his upside to boot. 

Vandy and kiwifalcon like this

8 hours ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

This guy keeps getting hated on here, and posters bemoaning up passing up Lewan and Donald for him. He was better than lewan last year and ranked as #14 best OL in the league per PFF.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-25-offensive-linemen-of-the-2018-nfl-season

I'm just here to say he had TWO devastating holding penalties in the SB.  Both pushed us out of FG range, resulting in no points.  The last one was basically unforgivable.  So yeah he's a fine player but he'll never be elite.  And he got smoked at the pro bowl.  Carry on!

2 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

I'm just here to say he had TWO devastating holding penalties in the SB.  Both pushed us out of FG range, resulting in no points.  The last one was basically unforgivable.  So yeah he's a fine player but he'll never be elite.  And he got smoked at the pro bowl. Carry on!

LMAO!

RING OF HONOR, athell and Drew4719 like this

Just now, Vandy said:

LOL, Sure you can ROH....:ninja:....I’ve seen you deliver the hammer many times before.....

Im turning over a new leaf....at least until March :ninja:

athell and Vandy like this

5 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Im turning over a new leaf....at least until March :ninja:

Same, join me ROH!  Let us be the light lol

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I’m taking bets you won’t make it a week....

This is probably very true for both ROH and I lmao

Vandy and RING OF HONOR like this

4 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

The best thing you can say about a guy like Mathews is nothing because if a guy and the other 5 guys upfront aren’t being mentioned means there doing there jobs.Which usually means good things for Ryan and the team.

Ive been watching the NFL my whole life and gun to my head I probably couldnt name a starting 5 OL from any team other than the Falcons. Lol

Vandy and kiwifalcon like this

I think Jake is good, but there is no reason to bash others. If we screwed up, we just screwed up. Matthews is a pick similar to Beasley. When bad personnel management over the years bites you on the @ss. 

Flying Falcon likes this

7 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

I've always have had a 50/50 attitude toward Jake Matthews. On one hand I see him as being very consistent in how he does his job. At other times I see him as not living up to his draft status, namesake and his contract. He is a very good LT; and at the end of the day, the Falcons could have done a lot worse. I was certainly happy when we drafted him, and Jake is way better than Sam Baker ever was.

Oh Lord You had to say Sam Baker...... LOL! :rant:

16 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

I think Jake is good, but there is no reason to bash others. If we screwed up, we just screwed up. Matthews is a pick similar to Beasley. When bad personnel management over the years bites you on the @ss. 

Jake is in no way a pick similar to Beasley.  Jake has been a reliable and consistent pro bowl caliber player who has gotten better and better every year.  Vic had 1 flashy year and then disappeared.  Comparing Vic to Jake is an insult to Jake if we are being real.

54 minutes ago, athell said:

Jake is in no way a pick similar to Beasley.  Jake has been a reliable and consistent pro bowl caliber player who has gotten better and better every year.  Vic had 1 flashy year and then disappeared.  Comparing Vic to Jake is an insult to Jake if we are being real.

Same type of picks. D@mn!!! We needed a LT, so Matthews was the pick. We needed a pass rusher, so Beasley was the pick. Those are the reasons we couldn't get players like Gurley and Donald. Next time, finish reading the post.

Flying Falcon likes this

So many ways we can go, but I wouldn’t be mad to go Ford/Williams in round 1 and then Lindstrom/Risner/Bradbury in round 2.

9 hours ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

A lot of players made mental mistakes. Mr2 took an unnecessary sack, devonta whiffed on a block, and the defense shat the bed.

and the refs missed the blatant face mask on Sanu on that play that should have been an offsetting penalty and replay the down

Dutty Ole Bird likes this

13 minutes ago, papachaz said:

and the refs missed the blatant face mask on Sanu on that play that should have been an offsetting penalty and replay the down

HOUSTON -- The story surrounding the end of Super Bowl LI is pretty obvious. The Patriotsstormed back against the Falcons in historic fashion, piling up points in the fourth quarterand erasing a 28-3 deficit to win the game 34-28 in overtime

But the Patriots' victory isn't without a little bit of (admittedly next-day nitpicking) controversy surrounding some calls (or non-calls) by the refs in the game. 

For starters, the Patriots should have been flagged for offensive pass interference on their second two-point conversion that tied the game up. Trailing 28-26, the Pats had Tom Brady throw what looks like a quick screen to Danny Amendola.

As noted by CBS Sports colleague Pete Prisco on Twitter, the Patriots got away with a violation of Rule 8, Section 5, Article 4, which makes it illegal for offensive players to block defensive players while a pass is in the air. 

You can clearly see two players blocking "in the vicinity of the player to whom the pass is thrown" when the ball is in the air:

danny-amendola-two-point-conversion.jpg
via NFL Game Rewind

The play in question in moving picture form:

And here's the rule in full -- please read all the way through before complaining in the comments, because the "note" at the bottom is important.

ARTICLE 4. OTHER PROHIBITED ACTS BY THE OFFENSE. Blocking more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage by an offensive player prior to a pass being thrown is offensive pass interference. See 8-3-1-Item 1 for exception for an ineligible offensive player. 

Note: It is also pass interference by the offense to block a defender beyond the line while the pass is in the air, if the block occurs in the vicinity of the player to whom the pass is thrown. See 8-3-1-Note for exception for ineligible players.

Also important: the Pats wouldn't have been penalized 10 yards for this because the Falcons were offsides. The penalties would have offset and New England would have been forced to redo the two-point conversion. 

But the result would have also been the Falcons getting a shot to catch their breath, design a play and potentially stop the Pats. They do that and they're up two with 57 seconds left and a shot to win without worrying about overtime.

It was a big play.

Also big was the chop block that should have been called in overtime against Patriots lineman Shaq Mason. On a play from the Falcons' 25-yard line, the screen pass to James White picked up 10 yards. 

Before the 2016 season, the NFL outlawed all chop blocks, meaning if there's a situation where one blocker is going high on a defender and one is going low, it's a 15-yard penalty.

This was clearly the case with Mason when he pulled and dove at the knees of rookie Deion Jones, who was having a breakout game on a very big stage.

shaq-mason-chop-block.jpg
via NFL Game Rewind

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution points out thatMason wasn't necessarily behaving in any nefarious manner, at least on purpose. He was attempting to throw a cut block, which is legal, but because Patriots center David Andrewsalso shoved Jones at the same time, then the high-low factor is created. 

If the play is called, the Patriots are moved back 15 yards and have first-and-25 from the Falcons' 40-yard line. 

The Patriots didn't win because of these two plays, and the referees actually did a fantastic job of managing this game and effectively officiating a difficult Super Bowl (they were fantastic on difficult catch plays involving both Julian Edelman and Julio Jones). 

But it appears they missed these two potential game-changing plays late with the Patriots rolling and the Falcons struggling

Flying Falcon likes this

15 minutes ago, papachaz said:

This was what I meant to send...lol 

An enormous holding penalty was called against the Atlanta Falcons on second down, pushing them out of field goal range on a crucial drive late in the fourth quarter. However, there was a clear face mask made on the same play as Mohamed Sanu was tackled out of bounds that wasn’t called.

flagnoflag.0.gif

If it had been called, it would have been offsetting penalties and the Falcons would have had another chance at a long second down. Instead, they faced a third-and-33 that led to an incompletion and had to punt on the next play. Atlanta had to punt the ball away, giving the ball back to the Patriots with a chance to drive for a game-tying score.

The officials miss penalties in every game, and they’ve missed calls against both teams in this game. This was a huge one that hurt Atlanta, though.

Dutty Ole Bird and Drew4719 like this

It’s extra frustrating because Vic Beasley gets held the way Matthews held Chris long on that play literally 100 times a season and it’s never called.

Falconsin2012 likes this