Dutty Ole Bird

Matthews appreciation thread

61 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

I understand wanting Donald, I do, but just imagine how horrible our OLine would look if we hadn't drafted him. 

Every time I wish Donald was a Falcon, I just look at the LTs drafted since Matthews and cringe. Matt would have been destroyed. Repeatedly. 

38 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I'm still kind of pissed at him for one of the most devastating, team-killing penalties in Super Bowl history. 

A lot of players made mental mistakes. Mr2 took an unnecessary sack, devonta whiffed on a block, and the defense shat the bed.

MoFalconsFan56 and james b like this

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I didn’t want to give him the huge contract, but Crow is tasty

I would love to taste crow again with Jonah Williams. Reminds me of Matthews a bit. We would have bookends for the next 5 seasons.

Falconsin2012 likes this

I've always have had a 50/50 attitude toward Jake Matthews. On one hand I see him as being very consistent in how he does his job. At other times I see him as not living up to his draft status, namesake and his contract. He is a very good LT; and at the end of the day, the Falcons could have done a lot worse. I was certainly happy when we drafted him, and Jake is way better than Sam Baker ever was.

MoFalconsFan56 and E. T. like this

2 hours ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

This guy keeps getting hated on here, and posters bemoaning up passing up Lewan and Donald for him. He was better than lewan last year and ranked as #14 best OL in the league per PFF.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-25-offensive-linemen-of-the-2018-nfl-season

I honestly don't see a lot of hate on Matthews.... He's held up well, and is much better than his predecessor. For those that can't remember Sam Baker!

1 hour ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

A lot of players made mental mistakes. Mr2 took an unnecessary sack, devonta whiffed on a block, and the defense shat the bed.

It’s a bit unfair to say the defense shat the bed. They got exhausted because the offense kept them on the field the entire second half. I’ll say guys definitely needed to step up though. Looking at you, Mr. Beasley....

2 hours ago, Lornoth said:

I understand wanting Donald, I do, but just imagine how horrible our OLine would look if we hadn't drafted him. 

Matt would be in a wheelchair.

athell likes this

4 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

It’s a bit unfair to say the defense shat the bed. They got exhausted because the offense kept them on the field the entire second half. I’ll say guys definitely needed to step up though. Looking at you, Mr. Beasley....

They shat the bed man...couldn't even hold them to one fg even when coach called timeouts and they had time to rest on goal line plays.

37 minutes ago, E. T. said:

I honestly don't see a lot of hate on Matthews.... He's held up well, and is much better than his predecessor. For those that can't remember Sam Baker!

People forget the dark years when our OLine was held together by duct tape and chewing gum.  Jake is a perfectly fine franchise LT.  People just love to nitpick.

Vandy, E. T., Dutty Ole Bird and 1 other like this

Okay...and I agree...but this thread is about Matthews, so I stated my honest reaction to it.  No big deal.

Dutty Ole Bird likes this

I would love to taste crow again with Jonah Williams. Reminds me of Matthews a bit. We would have bookends for the next 5 seasons.

I’m not down with Jonah.  Would prefer FA for our RT.   Even Taylor out of the Dolphins would work.  But if we do go draft, take Cody.  He can be a pro bowl OT or All Pro OG.  Much less bust risk

1 hour ago, 4dabirds said:

I've always have had a 50/50 attitude toward Jake Matthews. On one hand I see him as being very consistent in how he does his job. At other times I see him as not living up to his draft status, namesake and his contract. He is a very good LT; and at the end of the day, the Falcons could have done a lot worse. I was certainly happy when we drafted him, and Jake is way better than Sam Baker ever was.

He's an elite lt right now. 

Dirtybird56 likes this

12 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I’m not down with Jonah.  Would prefer FA for our RT.   Even Taylor out of the Dolphins would work.  But if we do go draft, take Cody.  He can be a pro bowl OT or All Pro OG.  Much less bust risk

I think tbh the bust risk is much higher with cody ford. I don't know if he can get away with his 1/4 crouch in the nfl.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

10 minutes ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

I think tbh the bust risk is much higher with cody ford. I don't know if he can get away with his 1/4 crouch in the nfl.

Honestly, I’m good with Risner in Rd 2.  I don’t want Rd 1 OL

3 hours ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

This guy keeps getting hated on here, and posters bemoaning up passing up Lewan and Donald for him. He was better than lewan last year and ranked as #14 best OL in the league per PFF.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-25-offensive-linemen-of-the-2018-nfl-season

He has performed at the level I expected of him. If we could say that for all our picks we would have the best roster in the league.

Dutty Ole Bird likes this