mashburn*Fibonacci

Bob sutton hired as senior assistant

62 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, JerseyNo11 said:

That has more to do with Andy Reid than Sutton. 

Clock management yes, Andy Ried issues yes.  But when you are in charge of the defense and you offense is scoring 33+ again and you are losing games, SOMETHING STINKS.

I like this hire as a defensive sounding board.

But for some of these things, we also just need the dude with the pocket protector and all of the computer simulations.  There's a ton of information about the percentages when it's say 4th and 4 from the 50 yard line, 3 minutes on the clock, and you're down by 4.  

We don't need classic coaches trying to figure those out.  We just need them all tabulated, with percentages ahead of time.  We don't want coaches playing black jack and hitting on 19 because they feel like there might be an ace coming.  Just play the numbers leaning toward aggressive.

8 minutes ago, FalconJim said:

I think this is a good hire --- but are we gettin' too many cooks in the kitchen? 

I always worry that. However. you have people in their place. Not dubbing quinn down, but he is doing defense. koetter offense. etc etc. Yes they will discuss together on game plans, but I do not see Quinn telling koetter how to do his job. 

I honestly look at this as we have a lot of really good managers. and not as we have several HC. They are all working different departments. 

When I worked in constructuion we had on one job site 5 foremans. and it went to **** fast. but it was because they were all doing the same department. when we should have had them as a pipe filter, concrete, etc etc. and not like they were all doing the same thing. 

SeahawkFan80 and FalconJim like this

2 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

But for some of these things, we also just need the dude with the pocket protector and all of the computer simulations.  There's a ton of information about the percentages when it's say 4th and 4 from the 50 yard line, 3 minutes on the clock, and you're down by 4.  

We don't need classic coaches trying to figure those out.  We just need them all tabulated, with percentages ahead of time.  We don't want coaches playing black jack and hitting on 19 because they feel like there might be an ace coming.  Just play the numbers leaning toward aggressive.

I do not see them trying to hit "19". specially not Sutton. I get your point, but I do not see it out of this group. Koetter, maybe. but not quinn or sutton. 

1 hour ago, vel said:

This is why I was never worried about DQ. He sees his flaws and fixes them with a vengeance if he has the opportunity. He doesn't just sit on his hands. He lost some coaching talent after that SB run and thought he replaced it. He didn't but there is no question right now the Falcons have some of the most experienced coaches in the league and that should pay heavy dividends during the season. And it should also help weather getting coaches poached if that happens again. 

Yeah, I am very excited about next year. We will never know for sure, but I bet some of our defensive struggles came from Quinn spending more with the offense. I think this year he trusts Koetter, Knapp, and Murlarkey to run the offense so he can focus on defense. We saw the same thing on our Super Bowl run when he trusted Kyle to run the offense and he took over the defense. My biggest issue with MM was that he wasn't good about adjusting his defense to fit his players strengths. Just listening to all the ex-players gush about Quinn's knowledge of defense gets me excited. I feel like we could finally have a top 10 defense for once.

1 hour ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

'95 Cleveland Browns 

Belichick, Ozzie Newsome, Michael Lombardi, TD, Scott Pioli, Jim Schwartz, Eric Mangini, Nick Saban ;)

Packers one year had like Mike Holmgren, Sherman Lewis, Fritz Shurmur, Todd Bowles, Marty Mornhinweg, Andy Reid, Steve Mariucci

JDaveG likes this

1 hour ago, Lowndesfalc said:

I like it. There is a ton of NFL experience on this staff. I wouldn’t mind seeing Terry Robiskie on staff as well. 

RB coach for the Jaguars

Lowndesfalc likes this

31 minutes ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

I do not see them trying to hit "19". specially not Sutton. I get your point, but I do not see it out of this group. Koetter, maybe. but not quinn or sutton. 

Agree.  My concern with them, being defensive coaches, is not going for a 4th and 2 in midfield situations, when stats clearly show it to be a good call.

I guess the more accurate blackjack analogy is I don't want them staying on 13 worried that a face card might come.

I just think they need a numbers guy in there who has all these scenarios.  Belicheck does a better job of going by the numbers on these than others, and it tends to work.  Not every time, but on average over the course of time.

41 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

I liked your post because we do need a few number crunchers to play the percentages. With that said, you still need a football guy making the decisions as well. Maybe we can incorporate that into the formula with guys on the team already to help. Sometimes you need that ace though. Lol jk

11 minutes ago, kschreck said:

Will be a true test of DQs leadership.

I agree!  He's gonna have a few racehorses that will need to be bridled back from time to time ~ but I think he's the man to do it! 
But really, these guys are professionals and have been HCs before ---- I think they'll know their parameters, and what lines NOT to cross --- 

Edited by FalconJim
kschreck likes this

3 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Are you already setting the table to begin backbiting? I’m not trying to be flippant, but it’s probably time when we all must try to speak positively.  I fight my own propensity to be negative so I have to really work to get rid of that spirit of criticism & anger. Reading this morning I learned once again that I have to guard every one of my thoughts & especially my tongue which shows my heart.  LOL, I need to speak for myself I guess.

Agreed. But it's like this every offseason. We all reset and start to put faith in the system all over again. 

It's dutch door action.

3 minutes ago, E. T. said:

Agreed. But it's like this every offseason. We all reset and start to put faith in the system all over again. 

It's dutch door action.

I know.  I really do believe that our season was set back considerably with injuries which also exposed coaching deficiencies tbh.  

Pacific_Falcon and Lowndesfalc like this

3 hours ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

Good. So many head coaches on one team. Gives me hope for next season.

I hope it pans out.  Sometimes there can be too many cooks in the kitchen though. 

Flying Falcon likes this

51 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I know.  I really do believe that our season was set back considerably with injuries which also exposed coaching deficiencies tbh.  

Just gotta look at it for what it was.... a possible blessing in disguise.

HASHBROWN3 likes this

20 minutes ago, E. T. said:

Just gotta look at it for what it was.... a possible blessing in disguise.

Yes indeed.  Sometimes what looks like unfair adversity, ends up being just that in the short & long term.

E. T. likes this

4 hours ago, FalconJim said:

I think this is a good hire --- but are we gettin' too many cooks in the kitchen? 

No.  So long as everyone knows their role, there won't be any issues.

I'd rather have a kitchen stocked with Michelin star chefs who work as a team than one Michelin star chef who cannot stand anyone else getting the credit, and so he hires a bunch of also ran yes men who won't ever dare to try to improve anything.

JerseyNo11 and FalconJim like this

5 hours ago, KCFalcon22 said:

Nooooooooo, just dont let him near the defense.  I live out here in Kansas City, and cheer for the Chiefs when they are not playing the Falcons.  I can tell you this, that defense had its ups and downs, and blew toooo many leads.  As a Senior Assistant yes but thats it.

Thats all it is though. We've known for a while now that Quinn is going to be DC.

KCFalcon22 likes this

I'm still hung up on the fact that we need to hire a coach to call timeouts. That seems just so odd...but hey I'm sure he brings some experience as well, the more info/knowledge the better.

Flying Falcon likes this

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

No.  So long as everyone knows their role, there won't be any issues.

I'd rather have a kitchen stocked with Michelin star chefs who work as a team than one Michelin star chef who cannot stand anyone else getting the credit, and so he hires a bunch of also ran yes men who won't ever dare to try to improve anything.

Yeah, we certainly have plenty of "chefs"....LOL! 
But with these guys all being professionals, and former HCs, I'm pretty sure they'll know what their parameters are and what their specific role is on this team.  

3 hours ago, Gee-Q said:

Quinn just a figure head now... calling defensive plays only.  No other real power... I mean, ****, he's never used his veto power anyways

Good!!! I for one am glad Quinn is now the defensive coordinator! Teams hire these coordinators and they suck as head coaches. Quinn goes back to what he knows and let’s the offensive guys do their thing. Let’s be real we all watched Quinn in 2015 make some in game management calls that baffled us. We all hoped it would get better but it didn’t. Quinn took over defense in the last half of 16 and it became what we all hoped for when DQ was hired! 

octoslash likes this