mashburn*Fibonacci

Bob sutton hired as senior assistant

62 posts in this topic

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. – The Atlanta Falcons announced Monday that they have hired former Kansas City Chiefs defensive coordinator Bob Sutton to fill a key assistant role.

Sutton, a former head coach at Army, is expected to help with in-game strategy, clock management, time-out usage and replay review for the Falcons. With coach Dan Quinn assuming the defensive coordinator role for the Falcons, he has sought to hire someone who can handle some of the in-game and clock management responsibilities.

“Calling the defense, spending the extra time to get that right, and making sure our style and identity come across in the right way are exciting challenges,” Quinn said. “Adding someone with Bob’s knowledge and experience to assist with clock and game-management strategies will help us be the best version of the Falcons that we can be in 2019.”

That role was initially given to former Falcons assistant offensive line coach Kyle Flood, but he recently accepted a job to become the offensive line coach at Alabama.

Sutton’s coaching career began in 1972 when he was a graduate assistant at the University of Michigan. In the decades since, Sutton has been defensive coordinator at three different colleges, an offensive coordinator at Western Michigan and the head coach at Army.

Sutton broke into the NFL in 2000 as linebackers coach for the New York Jets. He was the Jets’ defensive coordinator from 2006-08 and was named the Jets’ assistant head coach for the 2012 season. In 2013, Sutton began his six-year run as Chiefs defensive coordinator. In that time, the Chiefs’ defense ranked third in scoring, allowing 20.3 points per game, and forced 165 turnovers.

Great Hire

Falcons hired Bob Sutton as a senior assistant.

Sutton was fired after six years in charge of the Chiefs' defense just a couple weeks ago. Coach Dan Quinn is expected to work as the defensive coordinator this season and call the plays, but Sutton should play a major role in game planning as well as helping with "in-game strategy, clock management, time-out usage, and replay review." Sutton oversaw a defense which was routinely near the top of the league in takeaways during his time in Kansas City.
Related: Chiefs

Sutton has had some really good defenses over the years.  Wouldn't mind having him help break down film, too. 

Not sure what happened last year, but from 2013-2016 KC's defense was 5th, 2nd, 3rd and 7th in points.  But they were 24th last year and that's what got him fired.   

mashburn*Fibonacci likes this

12 minutes ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

Koetter, mularkey, quinn, sutton. Man that's a hard hitting set up of coaches.  Not sure if I've ever seen a more powerful coach team 

'95 Cleveland Browns 

Belichick, Ozzie Newsome, Michael Lombardi, TD, Scott Pioli, Jim Schwartz, Eric Mangini, Nick Saban ;)

6 minutes ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

'95 Cleveland Browns 

Belichick, Ozzie Newsome, Michael Lombardi, TD, Scott Pioli, Jim Schwartz, Eric Mangini, Nick Saban ;)

Except that 95 Browns team finished 5-11 and was the year that they announced the move to Baltimore

This is why I was never worried about DQ. He sees his flaws and fixes them with a vengeance if he has the opportunity. He doesn't just sit on his hands. He lost some coaching talent after that SB run and thought he replaced it. He didn't but there is no question right now the Falcons have some of the most experienced coaches in the league and that should pay heavy dividends during the season. And it should also help weather getting coaches poached if that happens again. 

Nooooooooo, just dont let him near the defense.  I live out here in Kansas City, and cheer for the Chiefs when they are not playing the Falcons.  I can tell you this, that defense had its ups and downs, and blew toooo many leads.  As a Senior Assistant yes but thats it.

Since1990 likes this

2 minutes ago, Alaxar said:

Except that 95 Browns team finished 5-11 and was the year that they announced the move to Baltimore

That's the Browns for ya

1 minute ago, KCFalcon22 said:

Nooooooooo, just dont let him near the defense.  I live out here in Kansas City, and cheer for the Chiefs when they are not playing the Falcons.  I can tell you this, that defense had its ups and downs, and blew toooo many leads.  As a Senior Assistant yes but thats it.

That has more to do with Andy Reid than Sutton. 

19 minutes ago, Brewcrew said:

Sutton has had some really good defenses over the years.  Wouldn't mind having him help break down film, too. 

Not sure what happened last year, but from 2013-2016 KC's defense was 5th, 2nd, 3rd and 7th in points.  But they were 24th last year and that's what got him fired.   

Because they scored too much on offense.

kschreck likes this

7 minutes ago, Alaxar said:

I'll give that team a pass with the whole moving to Baltimore thing hovering over their heads like an F-5 funnel cloud that's seconds away from touching down in your front yard...

papachaz likes this

22 minutes ago, E. T. said:

We are stacked with knowledge, skill, and experience on this staff. There should be no excuses right?

Are you already setting the table to begin backbiting? I’m not trying to be flippant, but it’s probably time when we all must try to speak positively.  I fight my own propensity to be negative so I have to really work to get rid of that spirit of criticism & anger. Reading this morning I learned once again that I have to guard every one of my thoughts & especially my tongue which shows my heart.  LOL, I need to speak for myself I guess.

24 minutes ago, vel said:

This is why I was never worried about DQ. He sees his flaws and fixes them with a vengeance if he has the opportunity. He doesn't just sit on his hands. He lost some coaching talent after that SB run and thought he replaced it. He didn't but there is no question right now the Falcons have some of the most experienced coaches in the league and that should pay heavy dividends during the season. And it should also help weather getting coaches poached if that happens again. 

For sure. DQ isn't nearly as stubborn or passive as people make him out to be. I can't wait to see it all come together. This is a pretty incredible team of coaches DQ managed to assemble. 

JDaveG likes this