Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SoCalFalconFan

Free Agent Target - Trey Flowers, DE

49 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

Is anyone else feeling Trey Flowers would fit nicely in the Falcons system? The guy plays every position on the Patriots D line. He only averages 7 sacks a season, but he's a high motor guy, he's a leader, and he's a consistent menace across the board in every facet of his game. And, he may not command top FA dollar as some of the elite pass rushers will. 

Thoughts?

I really dont think feel we could realistically expect more than 7 sacks from anyone we bring in. I think it would be a good signing and perfectly replace Claiborne's production. 

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers

12 hours ago, hjerry said:

Always be concerned about anyone the Patriots are willing to let go

Why? They routinely allow good players to leave. Asante Samuel was a great signing for us after Philly got his prime via N.E. n.e. just plays the numbers game of n.f.l players average 4-5 good years.

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers

15 minutes ago, Cole World said:

You're right.

People get upset about Vic, but Clowney getting a 135 million contract having never reached double digit sacks is a head scratcher. He’s well above average,but still living off his college reputation.  29 sacks in 5 years

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

People get upset about Vic, but Clowney getting a 135 million contract having never reached double digit sacks is a head scratcher. He’s well above average,but still living off his college reputation.  29 sacks in 5 years

Yeah he must bring something else other than sacks to the table

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Nah, Clowney has been way more effective:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ClowJa00.htm

It's about what have you done for me lately. That said is he worth $22M per year? That's why Vic will get overpaid. Better get Ed Oliver/more of those young DL on rookie contracts; while leveraging OL in FA IMO.

Think about it. DL trying to market set their rates off the vast overpayments we've seen to AD and Mack. Jarrett still looks like a bargain considering his upside vs current price vs market rate. Vic? Nope. Not in our system unless he is more productive this year...if he gets a chance to play here without a re-work of the $12.8M hit...yeah it's not terrible in comparison but it's a lot for a guy not eating snaps as an all-around DE.

Falconsin2012 likes this

10 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Clark is good, but not 17 mill good

Quietly Clark has been a double digit sack guy.

That is what is going to get him paid. 

Falconsin2012 likes this

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Nah, Clowney has been way more effective:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ClowJa00.htm

It's about what have you done for me lately. That said is he worth $22M per year? That's why Vic will get overpaid. Better get Ed Oliver/more of those young DL on rookie contracts; while leveraging OL in FA IMO.

Think about it. DL trying to market set their rates off the vast overpayments we've seen to AD and Mack. Jarrett still looks like a bargain considering his upside vs current price vs market rate. Vic? Nope. Not in our system unless he is more productive this year...if he gets a chance to play here without a re-work of the $12.8M hit...yeah it's not terrible in comparison but it's a lot for a guy not eating snaps as an all-around DE.

You put Vic across from Watt and his numbers would be much better.  And Vic won’t get over 8-9 mill IMO

Stryka likes this

8 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

You put Vic across from Watt and his numbers would be much better

Watt missed many games in 2017 and Clowney ate. Dude has more TFL and QB hits than VB; not to mention tackle totals. Even Vic's best year isn't necessarily more impressive than Clowney's 2 best years at all really. One of those without Watt for most of the year. His 'worst' season Watt was out too apparently? (2016??)

I think in a 3-4 Vic would look better, too. Just don't know. It also seems JC gets snaps at LB as well. I don't follow him though.

Takk and Jarrett aren't necessarily scrubs themselves, but Vic has struggled getting home. Vic can be SO much better. Other guys like JC are close to their ceiling compared to VB's production. That's the issue with UFA vs team controlled years. And with guys that can be effective rushing the passer getting a piece of the increased guaranteed money and average salaries? I just don't see us keeping VB objectively. Now, if he wants to stay here and be paid as a rotational rusher?

Falconsin2012 likes this

No chance we are signing Tre Flowers.    First, I don't anticipate Patriots letting him walk - I know they have history of letting UFAs go but they don't let them all go.   Flowers looks like a keeper.      Secondly, Falcons aren't gonna tie up $30mm in Grady and Flowers together.  We will re-sign Grady and either an OG or OT in free agency and that will be mostly it other than role players.

Cole World and Ergo Proxy like this

12 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Exactly, Clayborn had more pass rushing disruption (sacks, hits and pressures)% than any other falcons DE. Trey Flowers was 8.3% and Clayborne at 8.2%. In 257 pass rush snaps, Clayborne outplayed every other falcons player with 8 hits. Heck he produced more pass rush  in limited snaps than Takk and Vic.

He should have never been let go.  He was a bargain.  Dude brought it every snap.  He made the QB uncomfortable.  Did I also mention he was 280bs and pretty stout on the edges.  Should have cut B. Reed last year and kept him.

Clayborn without the E.  lol. 

24 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

No chance we are signing Tre Flowers.    First, I don't anticipate Patriots letting him walk - I know they have history of letting UFAs go but they don't let them all go.   Flowers looks like a keeper.      Secondly, Falcons aren't gonna tie up $30mm in Grady and Flowers together.  We will re-sign Grady and either an OG or OT in free agency and that will be mostly it other than role players.

If Grady is at 15-16 million you think T. Flowers is gonna cost 13-15 million as well?  I dont think he is more than a 10 mill a year guy because he isnt a sack master, he is a great all around guy.  Fortunately or unfortunately, those guys dont get paid the same as 12-15 sack guys.

23 hours ago, Stryka said:

If Grady is at 15-16 million you think T. Flowers is gonna cost 13-15 million as well?  I dont think he is more than a 10 mill a year guy because he isnt a sack master, he is a great all around guy.  Fortunately or unfortunately, those guys dont get paid the same as 12-15 sack guys.

Eh, DEs get paid more than pure DTs like Jarret.

Flowers has 2 SB rings. If he isn’t franchised, you gotta think he wants to get paid.

Someone gonna offer $15M per with the cap space? Probably. Younger than VB and more productive than him and AC.

UFA is a bidding war.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

1 hour ago, Cole World said:

Quietly Clark has been a double digit sack guy.

That is what is going to get him paid. 

Clark is avg 10 + sacks over the last 3 years.   He isnt a flash in the pan.  Dude is a terror off the edges.

7 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Eh, DEs get paid more than pure DTs like Jarret.

Flowers has 2 SB rings. If he isn’t franchised, you gotta think he wants to get paid.

Someone gonna offer $15M per with the cap space? Probably. Younger than VB and more productive than he and AC.

UFA is a bidding war.

They used to until Fletcher Cox and Donald got paid.  Flowers is a good all around DE.  His market IMO is somewhere in the 8-12 range IMO.  The cap goes up and value goes up with that so he may be a 14 per year guy with the way they are going to throw money around for pass rushers.

12 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Clark is avg 10 + sacks over the last 3 years.   He isnt a flash in the pan.  Dude is a terror off the edges.

Yes, I am aware.

Stryka likes this

13 minutes ago, Stryka said:

They used to until Fletcher Cox and Donald got paid.  Flowers is a good all around DE.  His market IMO is somewhere in the 8-12 range IMO.  The cap goes up and value goes up with that so he may be a 14 per year guy with the way they are going to throw money around for pass rushers.

I mean technically they categorize AD as a DE, but Cox no doubt. GJ isn't even quite worth what he is to put it nicely.

Grady should be around $15M average and that's only because of the market. If his play doesn't trend upward we need an out anyway. Guaranteed money to football players is a huge risk these days; as QBs are more protected in contrast to LOS guys. Who knows how next CBA will changed these dynamics further. New world we live in.

38 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Stryka, I believe @g-dawg is right.

Go back and look at Olivier Vernon stats versus what he got paid on the market.

If the Pats let him go which I doubt, he will get paid at least 15M AY minimum.

24 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Not 18 million per year good IMO

I don’t think we’ll go after him, but Trey Flowers is one heck of a football player.  He always stands out to me every time I watch the Pats. He makes plays at crucial times consistently as well.  He’s very underrated imo.

Ergo Proxy and Cole World like this

44 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I mean technically they categorize AD as a DE, but Cox no doubt. GJ isn't even quite worth what he is to put it nicely.

Grady should be around $15M average and that's only because of the market. If his play doesn't trend upward we need an out anyway. Guaranteed money to football players is a huge risk these days; as QBs are more protected in contrast to LOS guys. Who knows how next CBA will changed these dynamics further. New world we live in.

True. Yea I mean personally I think Grady contract should have some kickers(incentives) for his play.  Thing is....we arent paying for 2-4 sack grady.  We are paying for 6-8 sack Grady who he was last year and looks to be only getting better.  We are also paying for top 5 PFF grades last year and top 10 last year.  We have to pay for potential.  He has shown he is only going up, until Grady takes a step back and has a 1 sack 15 tackle season, he is worth that 15.  I would love for it be be 12-15 but its looking like 15-17 mill from his camp.

Ergo Proxy likes this

16 hours ago, hjerry said:

Always be concerned about anyone the Patriots are willing to let go

especially when R the Great says 'great player, under rated'

I'd worry more about that than the Pats not wanting him anymore, :lol::lol:

17 hours ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

I remember the chandler Jones trade, would love to have trey flowers on this team.

Chandler is still crushing it, albeit all by his lonesome, in AZ.