Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SoCalFalconFan

Free Agent Target - Trey Flowers, DE

49 posts in this topic

Is anyone else feeling Trey Flowers would fit nicely in the Falcons system? The guy plays every position on the Patriots D line. He only averages 7 sacks a season, but he's a high motor guy, he's a leader, and he's a consistent menace across the board in every facet of his game. And, he may not command top FA dollar as some of the elite pass rushers will. 

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Always be concerned about anyone the Patriots are willing to let go

I'll grant you that some careful vetting needs to be done, but there are examples out there that oppose your theory... LeGarrett Blount is still an excellent Thunder option in a ground attack. Jimmy Garoppollo is very good. Nate Solder is still solid. I can't think of any others, but Flowers would play well in our scheme, in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

For the record, I wasn't suggesting to get rid of Beasley, here. Although, I think any objective observer would take Flowers over Beasley right now. The overall disruption Trey Flowers brings, his effectiveness against the run, his versatility. But Beasley still has good upside. It just boils down to whether the Falcons can continue to have patience with him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NFL.com just released the top FA’s for 2019.  Grady Jarrett is #4 and Trey Flowers is #5. He getting paid despite not being a pure pass rusher

 

Top 25 NFL free agents of 2019: Defenders dominate rankings

0ap3000000935603.jpg
Around The NFL Editor
  facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  whatsapp_icon.svg  

 

The most interesting expected free agent this offseason isn't on the list below. Nick Foles has a mutual option in his contract that makes it exceedingly likely he will be set free by the Eagles, especially after they declared Monday that Carson Wentz is their quarterback and will remain their quarterback.

Foles would top a group of available quarterbacks, including Teddy Bridgewater, that is likely to grow as teams begin to prune their salary cap before the March spending spree. That's something to keep in mind when looking at my way-too-early list of the top 25 free agents in 2019. A lot of names will be added to the market because of cuts, and plenty of high-profile players (like Jadeveon Clowney) are unlikely to ever make it to free agency, because their current teams will use the franchise tag to keep them or strike a long-term deal.

That makes this initial list fun to consider, albeit a work in progress. It's a free-agent crop that is heavy on pass rushers and safeties while light on offensive linemen, wide receivers and cornerbacks. Chris Wesseling and I will publish our complete Top 101 Free Agents list in February. In the meantime, feel free to irrationally believe your team is going to sign all the players below and solve all of their problems.

 

1
LAW282118.png%3Acover()&w=120&h=120
DeMarcus Lawrence
DAL.png
DE
Cowboys
 
 

Don't worry about his sack number dropping to 10.5. Lawrence backed up his breakout 2017 (14.5 sacks) with another season as a top-five pass rusher, solidifying his place as one of the league's best players.

 

 

2
BEL474300.png%3Acover()&w=120&h=120
Le'Veon Bell
PIT.png
RB
Steelers
 
 
This ranking isn't a prediction of how much guaranteed money Bell will earn. It's a reflection of his status as one of the transcendent players this century at his position -- and the fact that he's still just 26 years old.

 

 

3
CLO535848.png%3Acover()&w=120&h=120
Jadeveon Clowney
HOU.png
OLB
Texans
 
 
Using the franchise tag to retain Clowney makes too much sense for Houston, even if Clowney won't be thrilled about it.

 

 

4
JAR254349.png%3Acover()&w=120&h=120
Grady Jarrett
ATL.png
DT
Falcons
 
 

A 25-year-old game-wrecker from the interior who has improved every year. There's little chance the Falcons will let Jarrett get away.

 

 

5
FLO572739.png%3Acover()&w=120&h=120
Trey Flowers
NE.png
DE
Patriots
 
 

While Flowers isn't a prototypical pure pass rusher from the outside, he can do everything well from a variety of positions, the perfect Swiss Army Knife for a modern defense. And he's already been the most disruptive presence on a Super Bowl championship team.

 

 

6
THO124271.png%3Acover()&w=120&h=120
Earl Thomas
SEA.png
S
Seahawks
 
 

Thomas would be even higher on this list if not for two of his previous three seasons being marred by injury. He has maintained his high level of play as a potential future Hall of Famer and isn't yet 30 years old.
SoCalFalconFan and Ergo Proxy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

I'll grant you that some careful vetting needs to be done, but there are examples out there that oppose your theory... LeGarrett Blount is still an excellent Thunder option in a ground attack. Jimmy Garoppollo is very good. Nate Solder is still solid. I can't think of any others, but Flowers would play well in our scheme, in my opinion. 

Jimmy Garoppollo is unknown right now. Blount was always a thundering option. I like Trey Flowers but how much of it is playing with one of the all time best defensive mind in NFL. I am sure BB would have used any of our DE better in NE. No 

Falconsin2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

Jimmy Garoppollo is unknown right now. Blount was always a thundering option. I like Trey Flowers but how much of it is playing with one of the all time best defensive mind in NFL. I am sure BB would have used any of our DE better in NE. No 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ClayAd00.htm

:tiphat::munch:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Jimmy Garoppollo is unknown right now. Blount was always a thundering option. I like Trey Flowers but how much of it is playing with one of the all time best defensive mind in NFL. I am sure BB would have used any of our DE better in NE. No 

Well..ummm, I’d agree at first blush, but Clayborn says hi from Foxborough 

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

But on the Falcons he wasn't a SB champion.:shrug:

:lol:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

:sadfan:

Committ seppuku at once for reminding me of that day nearly two years ago

ratesforless likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Well..ummm, I’d agree at first blush, but Clayborn says hi from Foxborough 

Exactly, Clayborn had more pass rushing disruption (sacks, hits and pressures)% than any other falcons DE. Trey Flowers was 8.3% and Clayborne at 8.2%. In 257 pass rush snaps, Clayborne outplayed every other falcons player with 8 hits. Heck he produced more pass rush  in limited snaps than Takk and Vic.

Ergo Proxy and Stryka like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

So...if Flowers is utilized more than AC and was more productive than AC...in the AC roll...if we used him in a fashion we utilized AC before, then... getting Flowers would be like getting a better AC???

I'm down.:tiphat:

Can't deny logic:

 

Clay had his best season in terms of his pass rush productivity under BB on per snap basis. Sure his sack numbers may be down but he had more disruption with QB hits and hurries. 

Interesting that BB used him less in RUn defense(only 10% of snaps against run) compared to Falcons (25% Run defense) in 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Clay had his best season in terms of his pass rush productivity under BB on per snap basis. Sure his sack numbers may be down but he had more disruption with QB hits and hurries. 

Interesting that BB used him less in RUn defense(only 10% of snaps against run) compared to Falcons (25% Run defense) in 2017.

Eh, small sample size and different roster configurations. Shelby and Crawford took turns being hurt, and with Upshaw's poor 2017 we had to use AC more...Vic was at LB in base and Reed wasn't a full time player himself. Flowers is a better player than AC, period. More QB hits in less games than VB, too. If we used Means inside at DT for pass rush, we could use Trey.

Of course, if we fix OL more in FA than DL and take Ed Oliver at 14 that could be even better if Oliver could play multiple DL positions himself in theory. :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Eh, small sample size and different roster configurations. Shelby and Crawford took turns being hurt, and with Upshaw's poor 2017 we had to use AC more...Vic was at LB in base and Reed wasn't a full time player himself. Flowers is a better player than AC, period. More QB hits in less games than VB, too. If we used Means inside at DT for pass rush, we could use Trey.

Of course, if we fix OL more in FA than DL and take Ed Oliver at 14 that could be even better if Oliver could play multiple DL positions himself in theory. :shrug:

It’s not small sample size. That’s pretty much how Clay was used and produced all the way back to his Tampa days. BB uses players to their strengths and how they fit in to the over all defense.  Flowers is good in NE, will he be as good with Falcons?Probably not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hjerry said:

Always be concerned about anyone the Patriots are willing to let go

Ty Law

Lawyer Milloy

Richard Seymour

Asante Samuel

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hjerry said:

Always be concerned about anyone the Patriots are willing to let go

IDK, most times they allow people walk who have earned their pay day. I'd be more concerned about their offensive linemen than their defensive players up front

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0