LaurentRobinsonDaGawd

Do you see us keeping Schraeder and Fusco?

42 posts in this topic

I think both may get a chance to compete. Fusco has a  contract that allows him to compete to be a starter for stick around as a primary back up on the line.

Schrader on the other hand will have to out right win a starting spot. Being that he is best as a June 1 cut I don’t see why he would not compete in camp unless we took in offense of tackle in round one. If you do you have to play him and that is probably the end for Ryan. 

RS was downright awful last year, but he fell off a cliff out of nowhere. He has been really good in years past so I just wonder if the coaches think he can rebound or if he had an injury. Losing your starting job leads me to believe that either he wasn’t 100% for the coaches have given up on him though.

36 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

I would cut Schraeder and keep building cap. Fusco not a huge cap hit keep him for depth.

Sounds about right....if they cutting folk for underperforming....he should be a casualty....and with the savings

His phone should be ringing right about now

Xfactor and Falconsin2012 like this

21 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

Why cut them? They're decent backups. Get starters to go in front of them.

Fusco maybe but you don't want to pay Schraeder starting RT money to be a "decent backup."

Possibly on Fusco as veteran depth even if he doesn't start; we just paid Garland $3M to be a backup entering last year after all. Can't really justify keeping Schraeder without him keeping his job and if he doesn't? Post-June 1st without a re-structure. Easily.

Fusco yes. RS? No, unless he restructures. Fusco is at least an average guy to hold onto. RS could stick around if he takes a pay cut and moves inside. I would wait until we have others to take those 2 spots before I say who gets cut, but RS is likely a June 1st guy.

At the end of the day, I think we end up drafting a starting LG in round 1, and that will probably be the only changes made to the 5 starting OL. 

IMO, I think we may draft some competition in later rounds, but the starting OL in week one will be as follows:

LT: Matthews

LG: 1st round pick

C: Mack

RG: Fusco

RT: Schraeder

I think a sleeper in this situation is RT Gono. I think if Schraeder doesn't bounce back, the team could be hoping for him to seize the moment and snatch the starting RT spot. 

I would personally like a high priced FA, and 1st and 2nd round picks replacing LG, RG, and RT. I have been a fan long enough to realize that high of a turnover will not likely happen. Also, the FA/2nd and 3rd round pool is not impressive at all this year(except for Risner), and we may be better off saving the money, or allocating it to the defense. 

Edited by LaurentRobinsonDaGawd

Doubt they cut guys with starting NFL experience until they figure out what the next step is. They might not be the best players, but they are serviceable NFL players. Don't think they want to put too many eggs in one basket after watching poor Sam Baker disintegrate physically with nothing behind him.

Move some money around contractually. Keep competent players on the roster to compete/backup.

Pacific_Falcon likes this

If Schraeder hadn't been benched, I could see him staying. But I don't know now. Sambrailo wasn't bad and his strength coming out was playing a ZBS scheme. He held up fairly well all things considered. Now, if Schraeder was hurt or there was more to the story than just decline, the coaches should know and we'll see. 

It's hard finding even competent OL. I'd rather Schraeder and Sambrailo fighting at RT than not. Look at the Panthers with Kalil. They let Remmers walk and I bet they wish they hadn't. 

I could see Brandon Fusco being back this year. He may still serve as a stopgap until we get this line rebuilt.

Ryan Schraeder could possibly restructure and start a reclamation process. Else, he could be released on June first. How do you just forget how to play right tackle? 

While they are both replaceable I'm not sure you can easily replace both at once, especially with Levitre leaving via FA.

So until you have a replacement, you keep them.