Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jayu70

2019 Off season plan and beyond.

11 posts in this topic

Not too early to start looking ahead to the offseason:

1. Free Agent thoughts (return %): Dedmon (60%, he likes it here, likes his teammates, Hawks have his early bird rights and capspace to sign him, i think he prefers to start and play meaningful minutes, don't think he'll join a contender for bit minutes), Lin (20% - he maybe looking for a starting role), Vince (90% - Vince can pretty much do whatever he wants, he doesn't seem to be ring chasing, loves teaching his young teammates, and he's close to TNT/NBATV headquarters), Anderson (0% - no available playing time for him here)

2. The team needs and goal is to win the draft lottery and select Zion and get the Mavs pick to be #6 and for Bazemore to not pick up his $19 million option. :D 

Seriously though: Needs - a young backup point guard behind Trae, a young starting Center to pair with Collins (rim protector w/ some offense), a SF with DPS skills (Dribble, Pass, Shoot), Resign Prince and Bembry to team friendly 3 year deals. (RFAs in 2020).

Goals for the 2019/20 season - The playoffs, very possible with how bad the East is and because I think the current young guys on the team seem ahead of schedule this year.

3. Willing to trade:

Capspace - we have quite a bit and I don't think we'll get any high end FAs. So capspace for FUTURE 1sts.

Tauren Prince - (if not signed to early extension) depends on who we draft, depends on what we may get in return, combine him with a future 1st pick (Cavs 1st or OKC 1st) to move up in the draft or trade for a player (Sabonis from Indy for example).

Alex Len - I'd trade him for the right deal, but I have no idea what the return would be. He's making $4 mil.

Kent Bazemore ($19.2 mil)- still a good player but overpaid, he would be an expiring contract now, not interested in using an asset to move him.

Miles Plumlee ($12.4 mil)- expiring contract to any team that'll take him without us giving up anything of value. He's valuable to a team looking for a 1 year deal to stretch or just an expiring in 2020.

Edited by jayu70

22 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Pretty sure Vince said he was retiring after the season

In AUG, it was reported that he's 90% sure he'd retire after the 2018-2019 season.

Then in JAN, he said he's unsure about retirement and will re-evaluate after the season.

I believe he will retire after this season, but you never know. If he still has love for the game and wants to go through the grind, he may do it...it's not like he looks like a total bust out there.

To the larger topic at hand, I will respond shortly.

3 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

Pretty sure Vince said he was retiring after the season

Not quite.

Just imagine Zion as our wing defender!!  RJ will probably be there for us more realistically if we can’t grab that number 1 pick.  Our core of JC, Trae, and Kevin are nice so now we just need complimentary pieces.  Spellman has been good at times and I’m not sure if TP will be apart of future plans.  Dedmon just keeps proving why he should be the starting 5.  I’m excited to see what we can do in FA but my main interest will be what future stars we can add to the mix from this draft.

JerseyNo11 likes this

I think we should try to sign one of these three free agents if they make it to the market:

• Klay Thompson - move Huerter to SF
  • Tobias Harris - trade Prince or let him come off the bench
  • Nikola Vucevic - let Dedmon walk

My preference would be Vooch. He's a freakin beast. 28 years old, 7'0", 260lbs, 20.5ppg, 12.0rpg, 3.9apg, 51.9 FG%, 37.8 3PT%, 77.8 FT%. Sign him, draft the best available SF and a back up point guard and we will be ready to make some noise.

Starters

• Trae
  • Huerter
  • Draft Pick
  • Collins
  • Vooch

Bench

• Draft Pick
  • Baze
  • Prince
  • Spellman
  • Len
  • Bembry
  • Plumlee

7 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Just imagine Zion as our wing defender!!  RJ will probably be there for us more realistically if we can’t grab that number 1 pick.  Our core of JC, Trae, and Kevin are nice so now we just need complimentary pieces.  Spellman has been good at times and I’m not sure if TP will be apart of future plans.  Dedmon just keeps proving why he should be the starting 5.  I’m excited to see what we can do in FA but my main interest will be what future stars we can add to the mix from this draft.

Yeah, Zion would be a dream come true if we had a chance to pick him. Generational talent and would instantly turn this team into a championship contender in short order. He's such a versatile player like LeBron and Giannis that it doesn't matter much who you switch him on. He's either too big or too fast.

9 hours ago, JerseyNo11 said:

I think TP is gone. The top 2 targets in the 2019 draft (RJ Barrett and Zion) can play his position, and I think we're gonna get either one of them. 

Even if it takes both of our picks (our own and the Mavs), I would be all for a trade for Zion. I think he could be that special and with how we are currently constructed, Zion could take us to the next level. 

JerseyNo11 and blkbigdog35 like this

2 minutes ago, JerseyNo11 said:

Yeah, Zion would be a dream come true if we had a chance to pick him. Generational talent and would instantly turn this team into a championship contender in short order. He's such a versatile player like LeBron and Giannis that it doesn't matter much who you switch him on. He's either too big or too fast.

I watched him and RJ play yesterday against Virginia.  Zion is a freak of nature!  RJ is no slouch either.  Would be happy with either!

And all of a sudden Cam Reddish is starting to show lately that he is still a top prospect in this class. 

I hope we get one of the top dogs in Zion and RJ, but if we don’t get to move up I’d still take Cam at 5 if he is there