Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons_Frenzy

Scott Wright's updated mock draft 2-7-19

11 posts in this topic

I saw his highlights and he plays pretty well, but just curious, does he not seem like a similar size to grady in terms of not a big DT, but more of a quick pass rusher.  I mean I have heard people say we need a big space eater like we had in Poe, but Oliver looks nothing like that.  He weighs about the same as GJ but I think he a little taller, so wouldn't that make him thinner in a sense?  I think he would do well with this line as a pass rusher, but Im just curious if anyone can explain how his smaller frame would differ from someone like when we had Poe who was bigger framed?  BTW i am not in any way stating he can't be a run stuffer and a pass rusher, I'm just responding to the comments in the past about how we needed a big body next to GJ and Oliver is under 300 lbs.  

I think its about time we go for height rather than smaller quicker guys.  We already have Jarrett, baring he does sign, but get some 6'4 guys on the line.  Dallas Cowboys had a fantastic D-line and most of it is because of their pure length on the line.  Wilkins and Lawrence should be 2 guys the Falcons should be looking into

Stryka and dawgsjw like this

2 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

I saw his highlights and he plays pretty well, but just curious, does he not seem like a similar size to grady in terms of not a big DT, but more of a quick pass rusher.  I mean I have heard people say we need a big space eater like we had in Poe, but Oliver looks nothing like that.  He weighs about the same as GJ but I think he a little taller, so wouldn't that make him thinner in a sense?  I think he would do well with this line as a pass rusher, but Im just curious if anyone can explain how his smaller frame would differ from someone like when we had Poe who was bigger framed?  BTW i am not in any way stating he can't be a run stuffer and a pass rusher, I'm just responding to the comments in the past about how we needed a big body next to GJ and Oliver is under 300 lbs.  

First, he has the measurements of a quick pass rusher, but his biggest strength is being stout/penetrating in the run game. Then, it depends on what we have in Senat, because if Senat is actually good, we already have that big body, so our back-up 1-Tech/NT doesn't have to be our 1st round/#14 pick in the draft. At that point, we can try to add another potential Grady (smaller frame, but very powerful, stout, and quick) to the DL for situations where we're going for penetration more than space-eating. In the end, if Oliver works out similar to Grady, we'll have a great rotation and a lot of versatility. That said; I'm definitely not opposed to looking at Wilkins/Lawrence/Simmons, I just think Oliver's height/weight doesn't matter that much, what matters is that he's good and makes plays when he's in the game. 

vitaman likes this

10 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

I think its about time we go for height rather than smaller quicker guys.  We already have Jarrett, baring he does sign, but get some 6'4 guys on the line.  Dallas Cowboys had a fantastic D-line and most of it is because of their pure length on the line.  Wilkins and Lawrence should be 2 guys the Falcons should be looking into

No to Wilkins or Lawrence 

Yes to Simmons or Oliver

Francis York Morgan likes this

Don’t hate the pick, just can’t decide if I would take him over Sweat, Simmons or Ford. The good thing is Q supposedly has an keen eye for DL talent so I trust him to make the right choice.

22 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

You play him at DE on first and second down.  He'd be our best run stuffing DE.  Then you put him at DT on 3rd.  Now hes a pass rushing DT.

That's how you improve 2 positions with one player.

Get a 330 lb DT in free agency.  He's only needed on 1st downs or 3rd and short anyways.

Stryka likes this