mashburn*Fibonacci

I really thought we would have O line players cut by now.

52 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, falconfreek123 said:

Al I'm saying is have patience

6 hours ago, falconfreek123 said:

Yes I lack reading, fibonacci

It's all cool.  Yeah i'm fine with waiting and always trust, even if they don't cut someone. I was just assuming succe they were bothered about the line and not the CB/k, i was feeling they tell the line bye bye first.  

5 hours ago, k-train said:

The only player on the o-line that would make a substantial difference to cut is Schraeder, and that's likely best as a post June 1st move... so there is no pressing need at all to bother cutting him yet, and it's probably much smarter to make sure we do get his replacement in place first.

Like someone else said, Fusco isn't costing much & was serviceable at least before he got hurt. If nothing else, you draft or sign someone to compete with him & at worst, Fusco is a backup this year. At $3.5M, that's pretty much backup OG money anyhow, so really no need to cut him until next year. And who knows, maybe if Schraeder truly is as bad as he seemed this year, that had a negative impact on Fusco too since he played next to him. For all we know, Fusco could look just fine between Mack & a more competent RT.

Wes is still cheap & learning. While he's definitely upgradeable as a starter, he's solid depth. Again, really no reason to cut him.

You are right.  

Like some have mentioned you don’t want to telegraph your moves before having a reliable option on the team.

The team is trying to get Grady locked up, so they can prepare for whatever move they decide to make in FA. In order to do that they had to clear some cap space. Before the cuts we were only sitting at 1.1M which was carried over from last year. The new salary cap doesn’t go into effective until the new league year, March 13th. The players who are currently on the team who are expected to be free agents contract is on the books until that day as well.

and to add.... 2 of the 3 players were defensive players who Quinn (being a defensive minded coach and seeing first hand) was able to quickly assess and make a move. Whereas Koetter (new) is probably still trying to evaluate the offensive side of the ball.

Vandy likes this

The cuts we have made were because their replacements were already on the current roster.  It’s how I know Sanu is safe.  Ridley was drafted to replace Sanu so we would have cut him if we were going to.

RS will be post June 1st to give us greater CAP relief

Vandy likes this

It's possible...just possible...that the front office and coaching staff are handling things in a calm, orderly, structured procedural manner, and the o-line will be addressed when they decide to address it. 

Crazy, I know. 

Ergo Proxy, Drew4719, Vandy and 2 others like this

I don’t see any cuts there until we have replacements. RS and Fusco could battle through camp. No reason not to as both are better served as post 6/1 cuts anyways.

unless they sign a FA RT or draft one in round 1, I don’t see RS cut without a chance to compete. He has one really down year, but was a top RT not long ago.

Fusco isn’t very expensive and could win a guard job. After losing both starters this year, he may be nice depth at worst. 

of course this is barring any signings before then

The 1st day of Free agency the O-line will be

Matthews

Schweitzer     Harlow(futures)

Mack

Fusco

Schraeder

THAT's IT  6 players the entire O-line corpe

the rest Sambrailo, Levitre, Garland, Beadles,  Gono are all FAs

Brunskill and Durant were on PS but not re-signed

gkgrimes likes this

17 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

With seeing how we made big cuts early. And the fact how quinn called the O line out with saying they were crap. You really think there would be cuts.  (Minus center and LT). 

Maybe they have restructured? Or falcons are unsure how to fix the line at moment and need to wait for FA or the draft? 

Schrader says us 4. And then 7+ next year and 7+ the year after.  

Fusco saves us 3.5 and than 5 next year.  

To me that's enough to get a good OT and then draft an OG

Alford was cut because we strategically drafted oliver a year ago to replace him. Bryant was cut because we have Gio behind him.

You don’t usually cut players without their replacement already on team. nobody is on this team (yet) ready to replace Schraeder or Fusco ...

Falcons exercising a common sense approach ...

4 hours ago, delaigle said:

Matthews

Mack

Fusco

Schraeder

You generally keep 9 or 10 right? So I don’t think needing to find 3-4 guys is too out of the ordinary. Hope we bring back Gono and Ty and then go from there into FA and draft.

mashburn*Fibonacci likes this

22 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

With seeing how we made big cuts early. And the fact how quinn called the O line out with saying they were crap. You really think there would be cuts.  (Minus center and LT). 

Maybe they have restructured? Or falcons are unsure how to fix the line at moment and need to wait for FA or the draft? 

Schrader says us 4. And then 7+ next year and 7+ the year after.  

Fusco saves us 3.5 and than 5 next year.  

To me that's enough to get a good OT and then draft an OG

Just because we need to upgrade doesn't mean we should run the Starters of last season off..??? That don't make any sense at all... Keep what we've got for fill in and backups..  WE probably will be doing good to get two new starters for next season.. So we need to keep them for backups and fill ins. 

10 hours ago, delaigle said:

Matthews

Mack

Fusco

Schraeder

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/matt-gono-25389/

17 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

You generally keep 9 or 10 right? So I don’t think needing to find 3-4 guys is too out of the ordinary. Hope we bring back Gono and Ty and then go from there into FA and draft.

but at least 3 of your "3-4 finds" NEED to be starters ie RG, RT, LG

11 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Sorry for my mistake on Gono but that doesn't change the fact that's it's a little early to be cutting O-linemen  when the ranks are this thin

adding Gono makes 7 under contract--they keep at least 9 so they already have to find 2--cutting means having to find more AND the ones they find NEED to be starting caliber

Ergo Proxy likes this

38 minutes ago, delaigle said:

but at least 3 of your "3-4 finds" NEED to be starters ie RG, RT, LG

To upgrade I agree. All of our 2018 starters sans Levitre are still on the roster though.

even if our entire OL was still under contract the staff would make the same amount of moves because they want to upgrade 2-3 spots, so having 7 or 10 under contract really doesn’t matter.

that said, I am in agreement we won’t cut anyone until we bring in their replacements. 

I can only assume as others have mentioned is that Schraeder will be a June 1st cut where we get the most savings, and Fusco is probably staying if only to be a backup/competition guy for camp. 

We're already without Levitre, and I'm sure we're looking to replace him first. With the cuts we made so far, their replacements were already on the roster, or at least known who we're replacing them with. 

We have a lot of needs as of now with Grady needing his deal worked out, and Julio restructure, plus needing to replace Levitre. Once we get through that, we can then move towards the next line of cuts and upgrades. Makes no sense to cut guys until we know something else is in place.

I think we should evaluate what we have now to build up our depth. Definitely need to find quality starters though.

On 2/9/2019 at 4:00 PM, Vandy said:

Alford was cut because we strategically drafted oliver a year ago to replace him. Bryant was cut because we have Gio behind him.

You don’t usually cut players without their replacement already on team. nobody is on this team (yet) ready to replace Schraeder or Fusco ...

Falcons exercising a common sense approach ...

Last time we let a player go without his replacement on the roster was when we let Grimes walk, and we had Owens, Franks, Samuel, Robinson and McClain left.  We drafted Tru (trading up to get him) and Alford to replace him and strengthen that position, leaving gigantic holes on the roster, specifically at o-line, where we tried to plug in Konz and Holmes, and on d-line, where we basically tried to replace Abe with Osi and hoped guys like Maponga and Goodman improved.  And that's not to mention the weakest position on the entire team -- linebacker.  Bartu, Gaither, Nicholas, Dent, Weatherspoon and Worrilow.  With Weatherspoon perpetually hurt and coming off his only injury-free season that I can recall (2012).  For the d-line, we drafted Goodman and Maponga late, and did not draft a single o-lineman or linebacker.  

Let me suggest that re-signing Grimes and getting some line and LB help that season might have helped us improve on the 4-12 showing we put up.  Which is to say, yes, I prefer common sense to that nonsense.

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Last time we let a player go without his replacement on the roster was when we let Grimes walk, and we had Owens, Franks, Samuel, Robinson and McClain left.  We drafted Tru (trading up to get him) and Alford to replace him and strengthen that position, leaving gigantic holes on the roster, specifically at o-line, where we tried to plug in Konz and Holmes, and on d-line, where we basically tried to replace Abe with Osi and hoped guys like Maponga and Goodman improved.  And that's not to mention the weakest position on the entire team -- linebacker.  Bartu, Gaither, Nicholas, Dent, Weatherspoon and Worrilow.  With Weatherspoon perpetually hurt and coming off his only injury-free season that I can recall (2012).  For the d-line, we drafted Goodman and Maponga late, and did not draft a single o-lineman or linebacker.  

Let me suggest that re-signing Grimes and getting some line and LB help that season might have helped us improve on the 4-12 showing we put up.  Which is to say, yes, I prefer common sense to that nonsense.

Spot on. Don’t need to cut any OL until after free agency/draft. Then be strategic about it.

Beasley is the most interesting case to me. I believe they have to reach an agreement early March? That’s gonna dictate mucho in how we go from here addressing the other position groups. 

JDaveG likes this

56 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Spot on. Don’t need to cut any OL until after free agency/draft. 

Beasley is the most interesting case to me. I believe they have to reach an agreement early March? That’s gonna dictate mucho in how we go from here addressing the other position groups. 

I assume they’re working on a long term deal, but I haven’t ruled out them paying him this season and then re-assessing. I think Quinn still thinks he can return to form. 

Just a hunch, but if he was a cut, he’d have been one of the first to go I’d think. 

Vandy likes this

2 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

People overestimate the availability of quality offensive linemen and underestimate the difficulties OLs have when you shake the pieces up all at once. 

This is the biggest problem here.  Everyone wants to upgrade here.  Guess who else? 31 other teams with many needing or wanting upgrades at multiple positions. 

The mindset that you just cut under performing players to make from for someone new is just asinine.  1. You not guaranteed a scheme fit/ upgrade if you cut a guy.  2. Good replacements cost $$$.  We need help at 3 positions, we likely cant fix them all this off-season even though many are trying to with unrealistic mocks and free agency predictions.

We are going to invest in the trenches but people need to understand over night repair jobs are seldom in the NFL.