mashburn*Fibonacci

I really thought we would have O line players cut by now.

52 posts in this topic

With seeing how we made big cuts early. And the fact how quinn called the O line out with saying they were crap. You really think there would be cuts.  (Minus center and LT). 

Maybe they have restructured? Or falcons are unsure how to fix the line at moment and need to wait for FA or the draft? 

Schrader says us 4. And then 7+ next year and 7+ the year after.  

Fusco saves us 3.5 and than 5 next year.  

To me that's enough to get a good OT and then draft an OG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

The super bowl isn’t even a week over yet. 

As I said, with others being cut fast you think the line would be gone first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never saw us cutting Fusco ... at 3.5 mil you are not getting a starter  in FA.... **** Ben Garland got 3 mil as a backup last year .. We Def bringing Fusco back to compete.

 

Schraeder is interesting .. Was he injured ?  Did he have a ****** year ? Or is he just pas his prime

 

Only the team has a better idea about that ... If I'm keeping him I would def try to get him to take a 1.5 - 2 mil pay cut similar to Levitre last year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I never saw us cutting Fusco ... at 3.5 mil you are not getting a starter  in FA.... **** Ben Garland got 3 mil as a backup last year .. We Def bringing Fusco back to compete.

 

Schraeder is interesting .. Was he injured ?  Did he have a ****** year ? Or is he just pas his prime

 

Only the team has a better idea about that ... If I'm keeping him I would def try to get him to take a 1.5 - 2 mil pay cut similar to Levitre last year.  

Agree that Fusco isn't going anywhere

atljbo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, falconfreek123 said:

Dont you think these coaches have lives and families. Do you think 24 hours they wanna feed the fans

Really dude.  Read the post again. Specially the part with how we cut others and quinn called Out the line.  

I'm not expecting any of them to adhere to me. Just thought it was odd. And i said it very clearly.  But you lack reading.  

Edited by mashburn*Fibonacci

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only player on the o-line that would make a substantial difference to cut is Schraeder, and that's likely best as a post June 1st move... so there is no pressing need at all to bother cutting him yet, and it's probably much smarter to make sure we do get his replacement in place first.

Like someone else said, Fusco isn't costing much & was serviceable at least before he got hurt. If nothing else, you draft or sign someone to compete with him & at worst, Fusco is a backup this year. At $3.5M, that's pretty much backup OG money anyhow, so really no need to cut him until next year. And who knows, maybe if Schraeder truly is as bad as he seemed this year, that had a negative impact on Fusco too since he played next to him. For all we know, Fusco could look just fine between Mack & a more competent RT.

Wes is still cheap & learning. While he's definitely upgradeable as a starter, he's solid depth. Again, really no reason to cut him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, atljbo said:

I never saw us cutting Fusco ... at 3.5 mil you are not getting a starter  in FA.... **** Ben Garland got 3 mil as a backup last year .. We Def bringing Fusco back to compete.

 

Schraeder is interesting .. Was he injured ?  Did he have a ****** year ? Or is he just pas his prime

 

Only the team has a better idea about that ... If I'm keeping him I would def try to get him to take a 1.5 - 2 mil pay cut similar to Levitre last year.  

Exactly what I would do as a GM. Fusco has to stay as depth/insurance/buffer for rookie and Shraeder on the other hand, I wouldn't worry about cutting as long as sombraillo and a rookie/FA is locked up

Smiler11 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

The starters from the O line aren't getting cut till after FA and the draft or else we're going to telegraph our moves and end up with 0 depth there even when we sign a couple guys.  

I agree with this. The team can't cut guys unless they have some firm idea who the alternative starters are. I think if you look at the other releases, you'll have a pretty good idea who the presumed starters are. When you don't have the "next guy up" signed yet, its harder to cut guys loose.

UnrealfalcoN likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

I think they'll take a wait and see approach with Schraeder and Fusco. Once FA and the Draft are done we might see some moves.

The early cuts to Alford, Reed and Bryant were more out of respect than anything.

Exactly. We clearly were trying to do those guys who had been here for a while a solid by giving them now, so they have extra time to find a new team & deal with moving their families to a new city.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

With seeing how we made big cuts early. And the fact how quinn called the O line out with saying they were crap. You really think there would be cuts.  (Minus center and LT). 

Maybe they have restructured? Or falcons are unsure how to fix the line at moment and need to wait for FA or the draft? 

Schrader says us 4. And then 7+ next year and 7+ the year after.  

Fusco saves us 3.5 and than 5 next year.  

To me that's enough to get a good OT and then draft an OG

The early cuts were made for two reasons:

1.  We already have their replacements on the roster.

2.  Out of respect for their abilities, Bryant and Alford were cut early to give them and their families the best chances of finding the best possible jobs out there.  

I really don't see a problem with keeping our lousy OL's on the roster for now.  Judging from Quinn's comments, the garbage will get thrown out in due time.

mashburn*Fibonacci likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, k-train said:

The only player on the o-line that would make a substantial difference to cut is Schraeder, and that's likely best as a post June 1st move... so there is no pressing need at all to bother cutting him yet, and it's probably much smarter to make sure we do get his replacement in place first.

Like someone else said, Fusco isn't costing much & was serviceable at least before he got hurt. If nothing else, you draft or sign someone to compete with him & at worst, Fusco is a backup this year. At $3.5M, that's pretty much backup OG money anyhow, so really no need to cut him until next year. And who knows, maybe if Schraeder truly is as bad as he seemed this year, that had a negative impact on Fusco too since he played next to him. For all we know, Fusco could look just fine between Mack & a more competent RT.

Wes is still cheap & learning. While he's definitely upgradeable as a starter, he's solid depth. Again, really no reason to cut him.

Wes has been around for a while now.  I think his learning curve has reached a plateau.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

As I said, with others being cut fast you think the line would be gone first. 

I’m still not seeing the point of your thread 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, falconfreek123 said:

Yes I lack reading, fibonacci

 

5 hours ago, falconfreek123 said:

Al I'm saying is have patience

+1 for being honest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, etherdome said:

Wes has been around for a while now.  I think his learning curve has reached a plateau.  

Probably so, but I think in general over the past few years we're been seeing O-linemen take a little longer than usual to get acclimated to the NFL.

Not saying I think Wes will ever be anything more than he is right now, but even if he's not that's at least enough to be a serviceable backup for a few more years IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now