ya_boi_j

Vic trade scenario

22 posts in this topic

I don’t even know why they wasted their time writing this only to write it off as improbable but oh well

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Article/Bears-trade-Vic-Beasley-ideal-scenario-128880767/Amp/

The offseason is the perfect time to think outside of the box a little bit.

Bleacher Report's Brad Gagnon did just that when he wrote up some offseason trade scenarios for every team in the NFL. One of the more surprising scenarios he laid out was one for the Chicago Bears in which they would acquire former first-round pick Vic Beasley from the Atlanta Falcons. 

"It's possible a change of scenery would be best for Beasley as he enters a contract year at the age of 27, and his $12.8 million walk-year cap hit wouldn't cripple a Bears team that has limited salary-cap space," Gagnon wrote. "Sure would be interesting to see him in a lower-pressure role with Mack and several other high-impact front-seven defenders leading the way in Chicago. The short-term gamble makes sense for the win-now Bears."

Taken one pick behind Bears wideout Kevin White in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft, Beasley has had an up-and-down NFL career. He started all 16 games as a rookie and ended that season with 26 tackles, four sacks, three pass deflections, one interception and two forced fumbles. He burst out on his second year for the Falcons, recording 39 tackles, 15.5 sacks, two pass deflections and six forced fumbles en route to being named a Pro Bowl.

Beasley played in 14 games in 2017 and recorded 29 tackles, five sacks, two pass deflections and one forced fumble. He capped off this past season with 20 tackles, five sacks and three pass deflections. Atlanta previously picked up his fifth-year option so he is set to earn $12.8 million this upcoming season. Gagnon does not seem to think that money would be too much for the Bears, but their cap space would suggest otherwise. 

Spotrac.com has the Bears at just $9,373,935 in cap space. That number will likely increase with a few adjustments to the roster, but Chicago still has decisions to make on nickelback Bryce Callahan and strong safety Adrian Amos in free agency. The only teams listed with less cap space are the New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles and Jacksonville Jaguars. 

Gagnon suggests it would take just a third-round pick to acquire Beasley. Since the Bears do not have a first- or second-round pick it also seems unlikely they would give up the chance to make a selection on Day 2. What also makes this trade improbable is the Bears already have a young pass-rusher opposite of Mack who they like in Leonard Floyd. The former first-round pick came into his own in the second half of the season for Chicago. He is versatile enough to drop in coverage and showed an ability to apply consistent pressure as the season went on in 2018.

Every team in the NFL would love another pass-rusher, but there is nothing about Gagnon's proposed deal that would make sense for Chicago.

There was a report during the season that the Falcons turned down offers for Beasley at the trade deadline. I don’t have a link, someone showed me on here. Seems like the team wants him. 

Schwarzwald likes this

5 minutes ago, TheFalcoholic said:

There was a report during the season that the Falcons turned down offers for Beasley at the trade deadline. I don’t have a link, someone showed me on here. Seems like the team wants him. 

or they just value him more than was being offered, and at that exact moment...

The fact that they fielded offers at all, says they'd be willing, and now that they season's over, offers will be different

Schwarzwald and JDaveG like this

55 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Kevin White?????

Wasn't he supposed to be the next Julio???????????

He was supposed to be good but I never heard anyone say that. Julio and AJ were both considered future All-Pros. That’s pretty rare hype 

Flying Falcon likes this

2 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

He was supposed to be good but I never heard anyone say that. Julio and AJ were both considered future All-Pros. That’s pretty rare hype 

I remember a few draft analysts compaired him to Julio when he was coming out due to his size, strength, and speed.

NFL Network's draft expert Daniel Jeremiah was one of them.

3 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Kevin White?????

Wasn't he supposed to be the next Julio???????????

Nooooooooo. That’s Sammy Watkins 

I think he has some trade value, but the bears don't make much sense. Someone like the Raiders who are in need of pass rushers and have a ton of cap space would make more sense. 

Still think we end up keeping him.

If he could be packaged into a draft day trade I'd be curious. Trade-down or trade-up + Beasely would leverage his value a bit I would think. Me personally I'd prefer a trade-down in the attempt of picking up at least two additional 2nd day prospects to go along with the two we already have. That would makes sense plus reinforce our willingness to get better as a team by any means even sacrificing future usage of certain football stars...

12 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

I'd keep him before trading him for a 3rd. I'd like to see him with Irvin for a full year tbh.

It all depends upon the money. If the Falcons give Beasley that 5th-year option 12.8 million dollars, they are all out of their collective minds.

The article goes full circle giving us the possibility, then listing the reasons it didn’t make sense.  

I think a top 40-60 range pick makes more sense & a possible swapping of picks that would improve our slot into the top 13 in that round or the next if possible.  

Ultimately, we keep him unless he thinks he’ll be worth more on the market.  We’ll be pressing he & his agent really hard in the coming weeks in order to get a true measure of their interest.  

Schwarzwald likes this

11 hours ago, tywreezy33 said:

He will be restructured most likely a 3 year deal.. I doubt a player with his talent leaves this team.

Ultimately I’m on this line of thinking to.

My only caveat is if his agent goes ham and wants bank then I’m entertaining whatever the trade market is for him.