Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falconsin2012

PFT: Koetter/Mularkey Combo

60 posts in this topic

Great video.  They love the aggressive passing attack of Koetter combined with Mularkey’s rushing attack.  Should be a vast improvement over Sark, per Simms.

Also good to know if we dominate next year and Koetter leaves for another HC opportunity, our next OC is already in FB.  They see a quick rebound for the Falcons in 2019.  

Is it September yet?

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/dirk-koetter-mike-mularkey-will-help-falcons-rebound-2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was painful to hear but he wasn't wrong when he said that our offense really struggled in the competitive part of the game. I actually had no idea we were 6th in the league. That's why I always say that you can quote me stats all day, but I'm going to use my brain and my eyes to tell me if a player or a team is performing well. Stats can be very misleading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I don’t want it to September, next year will depend on what they do in FA in March and draft in April. Same OL issues against playoff teams will probably mean less points and loses. 

True.  Falcons had a very easy schedule this year.  Only had 5 games vs playoff teams and the offense struggled.  They managed just:

12 points vs Eagles

37 points vs NO

19 points vs Dallas

17 points vs NO

16 points vs Baltimore

This is why Sark was pink slipped.  Offense wasn’t as good as the stats indicate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

True.  Falcons has a very easy schedule this year.  Only had 5 games vs playoff teams and the offense struggled.  They managed just:

12 points vs Eagles

37 points vs NO

19 points vs Dallas

17 points vs NO

16 points vs Baltimore

This is why Sark was pink slipped.  Offense wasn’t as good as the stats indicate

Well every offense will have games like that but it’s been consistently that way from 2017.  Sark was part of the problem, so was OL. I will wait and see what they do to fix. I am hearing all the right things from TD and DQ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Well every offense will have games like that but it’s been consistently that way from 2017.  Sark was part of the problem, so was OL. I will wait and see what they do to fix. I am hearing all the right things from TD and DQ. 

Not every offense. Shanny was shredding good defenses when he was here 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Not every offense. Shanny was shredding good defenses when he was here 

2016 was historic offense. It would have been hard even for Shanny to repeat it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

Not every defense.

And not every year.

2015 looked alot like what we saw the last 2 years

No way. Shanny shredded everyone the first 5 weeks of 2015. How does everyone forget that? Sark never looked good 

Edited by NeonDeion
The Daywalker likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

No way. Shanny shredded everyone the first 5 weeks of 2015. How does everyone forget that? Sark never looked good 

We were pathetically inconsistent in the Sark years. We destroyed Rams top defense  in 2017 playoffs, then looked pathetic against Philly where we couldn’t convert a 3rd down all game. Maybe 2-11 or something terrible.

Then this year the inconsistency continued. I knew he was toast.

Falconsin2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

No way. Shanny shredded everyone the first 5 weeks of 2015. How does everyone forget that? Sark never looked good 

So what about the other...you know 11 weeks in 2015??

And to say that sark "never looked good" is strait stupidity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Great video.  They love the aggressive passing attack of Koetter combined with Mularkey’s rushing attack.  Should be a vast improvement over Sark, per Simms.

Also good to know if we dominate next year and Koetter leaves for another HC opportunity, our next OC is already in FB.  They see a quick rebound for the Falcons in 2019.  

Is it September yet?

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/dirk-koetter-mike-mularkey-will-help-falcons-rebound-2019

Koetter agreed to a 3 year deal didn't he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our OL stunk.  When it mattered most, we could not run the ball, nor protect the QB.  

Yes, we had a lot of injuries on the defensive side of the ball but let's be honest, we lost games because of our OL.  And, not just this past season, but for several seasons.  

Fix the OL now, or forget going to the SB with Matt Ryan and Julio Jones.   

rounz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Sark and Shanny both had two seasons as Falcon OCs. Sark had 9 games with 30+ points and Shanny had 13. A difference of 4 games. I think that difference of 4 games was due to drops in Sark's first year and injuries in his second year.

I don’t love the Sark to Shanny comparison.  It took time to transition to WCO and get the right personnel.  Sark had the players.  

Consider Shannahan’s final 18 games in Atlanta.  His teams scored over 30 points in 13 of those games, including playoffs & Super Bowl.

In 3 out of the 4 games the Falcons didn’t score 30 points it was against the 1st, 2nd & 3rd best defensive teams in the NFL.  And in those games they averaged 25 ppg

Malachore, JDaveG, gazoo and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gazoo said:

We were pathetically inconsistent in the Sark years. We destroyed Rams top defense  in 2017 playoffs, then looked pathetic against Philly where we couldn’t convert a 3rd down all game. Maybe 2-11 or something terrible.

Then this year the inconsistency continued. I knew he was toast.

I think the one thing that bothered me was we didn't seem to learn much from the loss to the Eagles in the playoffs in 2017.  We lost this year in the season opener in very similar fashion.  Defense held them to 18 points, offense couldn't get out of its own way.  That's 2 straight tries at a team and you can't improve on the last performance.

Okay, we scored 2 more points.........

At any rate, between that and the fact that most of our lower scoring games seemed to come from better teams, it's certainly valid reason to change course.  I still think Sarkisian is way better than most folks give him credit for, but I am not surprised they moved on, especially with a known quantity available.

gazoo, rounz, Falconsin2012 and 3 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I don’t love the Sark to Shanny comparison.  It took time to transition to WCO and get the right personnel.  Sark had the players.  

Consider Shannahan’s final 18 games in Atlanta.  His teams scored over 30 points in 13 of those games, including playoffs & Super Bowl.

In 3 out of the 4 games the Falcons didn’t score 30 points it was against the 1st, 2nd & 3rd best defensive teams in the NFL.  And in those games they averaged 25 ppg

I'm having trouble getting past Shanny's last game in Atlanta, when he scored a whopping 21 points. Zero in the last 23:36. When his ego got the best of him and he left our best shot at a Lombardi on the rug in HOU and bailed for SF. He better be glad I didn't get to drive him out to the State Line cause he might still be missing. :angry:

His offenses haven't done jack in SF. I'm not sure his 2016 offense in ATL would have either with an injured RB1, LG, RG and RT, and his receivers leading the league in drops. With that said, I was on the fence with Sark until his five game swoon in 2018. Despite the injuries I thought he should have been able to make adjustments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I think the one thing that bothered me was we didn't seem to learn much from the loss to the Eagles in the playoffs in 2017.  We lost this year in the season opener in very similar fashion.  Defense held them to 18 points, offense couldn't get out of its own way.  That's 2 straight tries at a team and you can't improve on the last performance.

Okay, we scored 2 more points.........

At any rate, between that and the fact that most of our lower scoring games seemed to come from better teams, it's certainly valid reason to change course.  I still think Sarkisian is way better than most folks give him credit for, but I am not surprised they moved on, especially with a known quantity available.

We didn't learn anything from the loss to PHI in 2016 when Shanny's vaunted offense was held to a paltry 15 points.

Sark should have gotten more credit but he wet the bed in five straight games last year and should have done better. State Line.

papachaz, Drew4719 and athell like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, FalconBlood23 said:

I am sick of our OC's leaving after just 1 or 2 years. Dirk and MM better ******* stay. 

That’s why it was genius to grab Mularkey as well.  We likely have our OC’s & DC currently in FB for the next 3 years.  Continuity amongst coordinators and healthy players gives us a chance to be SB contenders every year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We didn't learn anything from the loss to PHI in 2016 when Shanny's vaunted offense was held to a paltry 15 points.

Sark should have gotten more credit but he wet the bed in five straight games last year and should have done better.

I don't know what's happening 70 but I'm agreeing with a lot of what you are throwing down lately and I don't know what to do with that lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We didn't learn anything from the loss to PHI in 2016 when Shanny's vaunted offense was held to a paltry 15 points.

Sark should have gotten more credit but he wet the bed in five straight games last year and should have done better.

Thats one of the few games i didnt get to watch that year but i heard our defense couldnt stop the run to save their lives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

No way. Shanny shredded everyone the first 5 weeks of 2015. How does everyone forget that? Sark never looked good 

Shredded? I'm not sure averaging 26.8 ppg is shredding. Especially when four of the games were against weak defenses. What happened the rest of the year?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I don’t love the Sark to Shanny comparison.  It took time to transition to WCO and get the right personnel.  Sark had the players.  

Consider Shannahan’s final 18 games in Atlanta.  His teams scored over 30 points in 13 of those games, including playoffs & Super Bowl.

In 3 out of the 4 games the Falcons didn’t score 30 points it was against the 1st, 2nd & 3rd best defensive teams in the NFL.  And in those games they averaged 25 ppg

Sark made some tweaks to Shanny's offense which the players had to adjust to. Sark had to deal with drops in his first year and in his second year he didn't have the players. They were in the training room. Shanny had enough players in his first year here to get it done. The only real weakness was at center:

  • QB - Matt Ryan
  • WR - Julio Jones, Roddy White, Leonard Hankerson, Devin Hester, Justin Hardy, Nick Williams
  • RB - Devontae Freeman, Tevin Coleman, Terron Ward
  • TE - Jacob Tamme, Levine Toilolo, Tony Moeaki
  • FB - Patrick Dimarco
  • OL - Jake Matthews, Andy Levitre, Michael Person, Chris Chester, Ryan Schraeder
Falconsin2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0