Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
*TMo*

Compensatory Picks

36 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We rescinded his option year so he was on an expiring contract.

I understand that, but what doesn’t make sense is he was indeed released. The contract wouldn’t have expired until 4 p.m. ET on March 13th. But since he was released, it never expired.

Had y’all rescinded the option and then let the contract expire on 3/13 then of course it should count towards the compensatory formula.

1 hour ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

He should count, no? We didn’t exercise the team option so it should act like an expiring contract. No different than a player becoming a FA. There were no years left on his contract unless we exercised the option, which we didn’t.

But what I’m saying is since he was cut, the contract never expired, but was instead terminated. I’m under the impression that the contract had to expire for the player in question to be eligible towards the compensatory formula.

If he signs with another team then y’all didn’t “lose him” to free agency which is the purpose of compensatory picks, he was released as would any other player cut during the season, right?

1 hour ago, Iron Saint said:

I understand that, but what doesn’t make sense is he was indeed released. The contract wouldn’t have expired until 4 p.m. ET on March 13th. But since he was released, it never expired.

Had y’all rescinded the option and then let the contract expire on 3/13 then of course it should count towards the compensatory formula.

But what I’m saying is since he was cut, the contract never expired, but was instead terminated. I’m under the impression that the contract had to expire for the player in question to be eligible towards the compensatory formula.

If he signs with another team then y’all didn’t “lose him” to free agency which is the purpose of compensatory picks, he was released as would any other player cut during the season, right?

No.

35 minutes ago, jfalconsp said:

No.

I understand that part, his option was not exercised. But even though the option was not exercised, he would’ve still been under contract with y’all until 4 p.m. ET on March 13th had he not been released.

He is currently a free agent right now which means he was cut and players cut don’t count towards the compensatory formula. That’s my understanding of it.

This article is from last year, but I’ll quote the section that pertains to the discussion...

Keep in mind: Players need to have been signed as unrestricted free agents before May 8 to qualify for the compensatory-pick formula. Players that were released by their previous team are not eligible for the formula, so they're not included in the key additions here.”

For example for us, Mark Ingram in an impending UFA at 4 p.m. ET on March 13th. If he’d sign a quality deal elsewhere at the start of free agency and we didn’t sign any incoming free agents to a large enough deal to offset it, we’d likely get a compensatory pick for the 2020 Draft.

However if we’d release him right now, even if we wouldn’t sign any free agents, we wouldn’t get anything period.

6 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

I understand that part, his option was not exercised. But even though the option was not exercised, he would’ve still been under contract with y’all until 4 p.m. ET on March 13th had he not been released.

He is currently a free agent right now which means he was cut and players cut don’t count towards the compensatory formula. That’s my understanding of it.

This article is from last year, but I’ll quote the section that pertains to the discussion...

Keep in mind: Players need to have been signed as unrestricted free agents before May 8 to qualify for the compensatory-pick formula. Players that were released by their previous team are not eligible for the formula, so they're not included in the key additions here.”

For example for us, Mark Ingram in an impending UFA at 4 p.m. ET on March 13th. If he’d sign a quality deal elsewhere at the start of free agency and we didn’t sign any incoming free agents to a large enough deal to offset it, we’d likely get a compensatory pick for the 2020 Draft.

However if we’d release him right now, even if we wouldn’t sign any free agents, we wouldn’t get anything period.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/13/some-teams-are-using-option-years-to-enhance-compensatory-draft-picks/amp/

papachaz and Iron Saint like this

8 minutes ago, jfalconsp said:

Okay, now that makes sense if it’s a loophole being exploited. I appreciate you sharing that link, that’s something I actually was unaware was happening and makes a lot of sense considering the Patriots have been racking up on compensatory picks for years.

But did his contract lapse or was he just outright released? Everywhere I’m seeing is saying he was released, even on his own statement he posted to his Twitter. Unless they’re just all speaking generally?

I know teams typically cut their more seasoned players before free agency and the new League year starts out of courtesy to try and let them get a jump on latching on with a new team, so that’s what I figured this was if y’all FO was certain they wanted to go in the direction of Tavecchio.

I’m not sure how big of a deal y’all FO could be expecting him to sign though. Seems like almost any quality FA y’all would sign would offset his signing elsewhere and lose the comp pick.

3 hours ago, Mescalito said:

Twas a Jules Winnfield quote.  Figured you would know that considering your name and avatar...

Nopper, never heard of either one of them! 

16 hours ago, Iron Saint said:

Okay, now that makes sense if it’s a loophole being exploited. I appreciate you sharing that link, that’s something I actually was unaware was happening and makes a lot of sense considering the Patriots have been racking up on compensatory picks for years.

But did his contract lapse or was he just outright released? Everywhere I’m seeing is saying he was released, even on his own statement he posted to his Twitter. Unless they’re just all speaking generally?

I know teams typically cut their more seasoned players before free agency and the new League year starts out of courtesy to try and let them get a jump on latching on with a new team, so that’s what I figured this was if y’all FO was certain they wanted to go in the direction of Tavecchio.

I’m not sure how big of a deal y’all FO could be expecting him to sign though. Seems like almost any quality FA y’all would sign would offset his signing elsewhere and lose the comp pick.

you quoted the tweet from the Falcons, it clearly says they decided NOT to exercise his option year. That's NOT saying we're releasing him, just that they're not going to renew the contract. Even in the article itself, the word released is not used.....a good example to use for us would be Alford, we 'released' him. He should have come to NO to play, because everyone (even y'all NOW) knows they don't call PI or defensive holding except on RARE occasions there.... :wiggle:;):D

HASHBROWN3 likes this

12 hours ago, papachaz said:

you quoted the tweet from the Falcons, it clearly says they decided NOT to exercise his option year. That's NOT saying we're releasing him, just that they're not going to renew the contract. Even in the article itself, the word released is not used.....a good example to use for us would be Alford, we 'released' him. He should have come to NO to play, because everyone (even y'all NOW) knows they don't call PI or defensive holding except on RARE occasions there.... :wiggle:;):D

Indeed it doesn’t, but nearly everywhere else is saying he was released including the post he made.

ESPN: Falcons cut kicker Bryant, team's all-time scoring leader

NFL.com: Atlanta releasing Bryant continues a trend of general manager Thomas Dimitroff shedding salary early in the offseason. (2nd to last paragraph)

CBS Sports: Falcons' Matt Bryant cut free by Atlanta

Even his Spotrac page has the transaction listed as a release.

I don’t know, all this is confusing. :bang:

And man, I wouldn’t have minded snagging Alford if we didn’t already have one of those on our roster. We just call ours “Ken Crawley” instead of Robert Alford. :lol: