Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
*TMo*

Compensatory Picks

36 posts in this topic

Do we know for sure what our compensatory picks will be? If not, do we know when that will be released?

Not sure when they are officially announced, but this was posted this in May of 2018...

Atlanta Falcons

Projected compensatory picks: Round 4; Round 5.

Key free-agent losses: DT Dontari Poe (Panthers), WR Taylor Gabriel (Bears), DE Adrian Clayborn(Patriots).

Key free-agent additions: C Brandon Fusco(Vikings).

The skinny: The loss of Clayborn will be cancelled out by the addition of Fusco, which means Poe and Gabriel should bring the Falcons a fourth- and fifth-round pick, respectively.

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000933360/article/projecting-compensatory-picks-for-2019-nfl-draft?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Dcollege-football;team%3Dphi;team%3Dcin;team%3Dcar;team%3Dind;team%3Datl;team%3Darz;team%3Dbal;team%3Dwas;team%3Ddal;team%3Dmin;team%3Ddet;conf%3Dnfc;conf%3Dafc;dvsn%3Dnce;dvsn%3Dacn;dvsn%3Dncs;dvsn%3Dacs;dvsn%3Dncw;dvsn%3Dncn;plyr%3Djaron_brown;plyr%3Dsheldon_richardson;plyr%3Djeremy_hill&p.ct=CFB+24/7&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23ffffff&p.bgc1m=%23000000&sr=amp

Edited by Since1990

So, how do compensatory picks work?

The number of compensatory picks allotted each year is limited to the number of teams in the league (32), per the Collective Bargaining Agreement. However, compensatory picks are not divvied up equally among the teams and no team can receive more than 4 compensatory picks in a single year. To qualify for compensatory picks, teams must end up with more or better compensatory free agents lost than gained in a particular year.

Teams are awarded compensatory draft picks between rounds 3 and 7 based upon a formula, which is not released by the league, that takes into account a player's average salary per year (APY), snap count and postseason awards. While there is a general expected level of compensation for a player based on the amount he has signed for, his playing time (or lack thereof) in the upcoming season could alter the expectation.

The compensatory picks for the 2019 draft won't be determined by the NFL Management Council's formula until after the 2018 season is over, but in this post I'll attempt to project who will be receiving compensatory picks next year and the round in which those picks could fall.

Keep in mind: Players need to have been signed as unrestricted free agents before May 8 to qualify for the compensatory-pick formula. Players that were released by their previous team are not eligible for the formula, so they're not included in the key additions here.

*TMo* likes this

This is one of those years that I would love to see us use a 4th, 5th, and maybe even a 7th to jump back into the 3rd round. I'll take picks in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th. over what we are currently getting. That being said, if we stay put, I trust DQ to find at least one gem in those 4 picks during rounds 4 and 5.

*TMo* likes this

7 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

May have been posted but we could potentially get another pick...

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/2/6/18213967/falcons-cut-legendary-kicker-matt-bryant-giorgio-tavecchio

P.S.  If they knew this before cutting Money, I may be inclined to think TD is more slick than I thought.

Won’t affect 2019 draft...it will be used in formula for 2020 draft

2 hours ago, Since1990 said:

So, how do compensatory picks work?

The number of compensatory picks allotted each year is limited to the number of teams in the league (32), per the Collective Bargaining Agreement. However, compensatory picks are not divvied up equally among the teams and no team can receive more than 4 compensatory picks in a single year. To qualify for compensatory picks, teams must end up with more or better compensatory free agents lost than gained in a particular year.

Teams are awarded compensatory draft picks between rounds 3 and 7 based upon a formula, which is not released by the league, that takes into account a player's average salary per year (APY), snap count and postseason awards. While there is a general expected level of compensation for a player based on the amount he has signed for, his playing time (or lack thereof) in the upcoming season could alter the expectation.

The compensatory picks for the 2019 draft won't be determined by the NFL Management Council's formula until after the 2018 season is over, but in this post I'll attempt to project who will be receiving compensatory picks next year and the round in which those picks could fall.

Keep in mind: Players need to have been signed as unrestricted free agents before May 8 to qualify for the compensatory-pick formula. Players that were released by their previous team are not eligible for the formula, so they're not included in the key additions here.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am) but comp picks can't be traded?

24 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am) but comp picks can't be traded?

Correct.

44 minutes ago, primetime said:

Your Incorrect is Correct - Rules were changed (confusing right)

Wha?  When did they change it?  I missed that.

4 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Won’t affect 2019 draft...it will be used in formula for 2020 draft

Correct, but Bryant won’t count as a “free agent lost” in the formula anyway since he was released. The only ones that count are ones on expiring contracts.

3 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

Correct, but Bryant won’t count as a “free agent lost” in the formula anyway since he was released. The only ones that count are ones on expiring contracts.

We rescinded his option year so he was on an expiring contract.

atljbo and Iron Saint like this

27 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

He should count, no? We didn’t exercise the team option so it should act like an expiring contract. No different than a player becoming a FA. There were no years left on his contract unless we exercised the option, which we didn’t.

By cap compensatory formulas, if Bryant signs for something similar he will cancel out a contract we sign someone to that would most likely be similar to the Fusco contract last year

Iron Saint likes this

1 hour ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Deep even! :rolleyes:

Twas a Jules Winnfield quote.  Figured you would know that considering your name and avatar...