Flying Falcon

Time For Vic Beasley to Go

429 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

Not so sure having three guys who all could very easily be worse players than Vic sucking up his snaps would be better. I like Irvin but his addition alone doesn't make Vic expendable. 

You kidding right?

  • Bruce Irvin - averages 6.5 sacks per year. Had 6.5 last year. Knows system
  • Steven Means - played well in his eight games in ATL. Can anchor the run
  • Montez Sweat - 22.5 sacks in his last two years. In the SEC
  • Jaylon Ferguson - all time NCAA sack leader

We can sign all four of them for less than the $12.8M option we're offering Beasley. Come on bro.

Ergo Proxy and Stryka like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

You kidding right?

  • Bruce Irvin - averages 6.5 sacks per year. Had 6.5 last year. Knows system
  • Steven Means - played well in his eight games in ATL. Can anchor the run
  • Montez Sweat - 22.5 sacks in his last two years. In the SEC
  • Jaylon Ferguson - all time NCAA sack leader

We can sign all four of them for less than the $12.8M option we're offering Beasley. Come on bro.

Two rookies and Means? It's just straight blind bias if you say he played well but Vic sucks. Means did something once or twice all year, Vic's been our sack leader/#2 consistently, not mentioning the big year. 

Like I said I like Irvin but you can have him and Vic, it's not one or the other.

JDaveG and Falconsfan567 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

Two rookies and Means? It's just straight blind bias if you say he played well but Vic sucks. Means did something once or twice all year, Vic's been our sack leader/#2 consistently, not mentioning the big year. 

Like I said I like Irvin but you can have him and Vic, it's not one or the other.

If you're telling me you'd rather have Beasley instead of Irvin, Means, Sweat and Ferguson, there ain't much I can do to help you bro.

Stryka and Ergo Proxy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

If you're telling me you'd rather have Beasley instead of Irvin, Means, Sweat and Ferguson, there ain't much I can do to help you bro.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying your solution isn't guaranteed to be better, so why cut Vic now? Especially because your 4 options wouldn't cost the kind of money where we'd need to cut Vic in the first place. We could have all 5, because Means costs nothing and the other two would be on rookie deals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lornoth said:

I'm not saying that, I'm saying your solution isn't guaranteed to be better, so why cut Vic now? Especially because your 4 options wouldn't cost the kind of money where we'd need to cut Vic in the first place. We could have all 5, because Means costs nothing and the other two would be on rookie deals. 

If we pay $12.8M for Beasley we won't be able to add the others. If Beasley’s agent goes for a low ball Dimi deal he needs to be fired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

If we pay $12.8M for Beasley we won't be able to add the others. If Beasley’s agent goes for a low ball Dimi deal he needs to be fired.

Why not? We already had Vic, Irvin, and Means last year. Adding two new rookies isn't going to kill our budget. Even if Irvin gets more money it won't be that much of a difference. If we replace Shelby and Reed with 2 rookies while paying Irvin more we'll probably actually be putting less money into the position. 

HASHBROWN3 and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lornoth said:

Why not? We already had Vic, Irvin, and Means last year. Adding two new rookies isn't going to kill our budget. Even if Irvin gets more money it won't be that much of a difference. If we replace Shelby and Reed with 2 rookies while paying Irvin more we'll probably actually be putting less money into the position. 

You're talking about the 2018 roster. This is 2019. Go look at the players under contract and the available cap space.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

You're talking about the 2018. This is 2019. Go look at the players under contract and the available cap space.

There is no world in which we need to cut anybody in order to sign rookies. Irvin isn't going to be getting top tier dollars either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

There is no world in which we need to cut anybody in order to sign rookies. Irvin isn't going to be getting top tier dollars either. 

There is a world where we need to cut overpaid slackers to free up enough cap space to patch Dimi holes though. We're living in it. 

vel and Ergo Proxy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

If you're telling me you'd rather have Beasley instead of Irvin, Means, Sweat and Ferguson, there ain't much I can do to help you bro.

I’d actually rather have Beasley with Irvin, Means and Ferguson. 

I’d rather do that and take a pass on Sweat. Other areas i’d prefer spending that 1st round pick on. 

JDaveG and Ergo Proxy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We can sign all four of them for less than the $12.8M option we're offering Beasley. Come on bro.

Everything I have read has indicated they are reworking Beasley for a lower number than that 5th year option so the basis for your argument is flawed from the start.  He won't be making 12.8m this year.  At least not with us.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Gonna be tough with the current roster holes and available cap space.

I agree. They’ll probably let him walk, unless he gives in a lot. VB’s poor play last year made his situation a lot more complicated for both falcons and himself.

kiwifalcon and Ergo Proxy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, athell said:

Everything I have read has indicated they are reworking Beasley for a lower number than that 5th year option so the basis for your argument is flawed from the start.  He won't be making 12.8m this year.  At least not with us.

A lower cap hit would be nice but Beasley's people have to accept that.

If we're back loading it with no early out it might not make sense for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I agree. They’ll probably let him walk, unless he gives in a lot. VB’s poor play last year made his situation a lot more complicated for both falcons and himself.

Two straight years of poor play. Dimi didn't help by creating the holes we have to fill on DL and OL.

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Two straight years of poor play. Dimi didn't help by creating the holes we have to fill on DL and OL.

I didn’t think he was that bad in ‘17, they just ‘misused’ him to plug the gap Duke Riley created. But last year he was just plain bad.

Gonna be fascinating to see how the VB thingy goes, as it will dictate a lot of how we go about addressing the other holes. 

 

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

A lower cap hit would be nice but Beasley's people have to accept that.

If we're back loading it with no early out it might not make sense for us.

True.  It seems obvious to everyone but yeah if he thinks he is worth 12.8...imo...see ya!

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, athell said:

True.  It seems obvious to everyone but yeah if he thinks he is worth 12.8...imo...see ya!

It's not really what he thinks, it's what the market will bear. He should have a decent market.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I didn’t think he was that bad in ‘17, they just ‘misused’ him to plug the gap Duke Riley created. But last year he was just plain bad.

Gonna be fascinating to see how the VB thingy goes, as it will dictate a lot of how we go about addressing the other holes. 

 

There are still a lot of questions to be answered that will impact our ability to patch holes:

  • Do we keep Beasley at $12.8M? Low ball him? Trade him? Cut him?
  • How much will Grady demand? Do we pay him $18M+? Tag him? Let him walk?
  • Do we cut Shredder and Fusco to free up $9.8M? Do we restructure them?
  • Do we cut Bosher and free up $2.6M? Do we keep him and his sub par play?

Gonna be very fascinating to watch it all unfold. I expect a few head scratchers. The heat is on.

kiwifalcon, Ergo Proxy and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

There are still a lot of questions to be answered that will impact our ability to patch holes:

  • Do we keep Beasley at $12.8M? Low ball him? Trade him? Cut him?
  • How much will Grady demand? Do we pay him $18M+? Tag him? Let him walk?
  • Do we cut Shredder and Fusco to free up $9.8M? Do we restructure them?
  • Do we cut Bosher and free up $2.6M? Do we keep him and his sub par play?

Gonna be very fascinating to watch it all unfold. I expect a few head scratchers. The heat is on.

I agree.

Yeah, the elephant in the room is that Quinn's and perhaps even your bud Dimi's jobs are on the line. Plus Matt and julio windows will be beginning to close. Plus Freeman's health is uncertain, and truth-to-tell Arthur’s been looking pretty pale here lately :ninja:.

Much like when smitty's job  was in jeopardy, and Roddy/turner/Gonzo windows were closing , they may say **** the long-term, but try and go for quick immediate fixes. Which is a very slippery slope. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Good post.

Yeah, the elephant in the room is that Quinn's and perhaps even your bud Dimi's jobs are on the line. Plus Matt and julio windows are  beginning to close. Plus Freeman's health is uncertain. Much like when smitty's job  was in jeopardy, and Roddy/turner/Gonzo windows were closing , they may say **** the long-term, but try and go for quick immediate fixes. Which is a very slippery slope. 

yeap...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

It's not really what he thinks, it's what the market will bear. He should have a decent market.

ehhhh...I don't know about a 12.8m market.  He no doubt will have suitors, but at that price tag?  Probably not many.

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lornoth said:

Two rookies and Means? It's just straight blind bias if you say he played well but Vic sucks. Means did something once or twice all year, Vic's been our sack leader/#2 consistently, not mentioning the big year. 

Like I said I like Irvin but you can have him and Vic, it's not one or the other.

Beasley is only got 5 sacks 3 of his 4 years. That's not impressive. There were multiple rookies and career backups that did that just last year. On top of that he currently costs just under 13 mil. If we can get all four of those guys for the price we pay Beasley that would be an upgrade if they all only got 1.5 sacks next year. 

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vandy said:

Yeah, the elephant in the room is that Quinn's and perhaps even your bud Dimi's jobs are on the line. Plus Matt and julio windows will start beginning to close. Much like when smitty's was closing (Roddy/turner/Gonzo) , they may say **** the long-term, but try and go for quick immediate fixes. Which is a very slippery slope. 

Yeah the heat is on bro. I think there's a way to do it without slipping down the slope:

  • Starting with $27M, cut Beasley, Shredder, Fusco and Bosher to free up an additional $25M
  • Bend over for Grady but back load his deal to keep the year one hit in the $10-14M range
  • Re-work Julio with the same or lower 2019 cap hit. Trade him if he gets squirrely :sadwave:
  • Re-sign Irvin, Sombrero, Means, Poole, Hall and Beadles with a $12M 2019 hit
  • Sign young vets to fill three of these holes (RT, RG, LG, NT) with a 2019 cap hit of $18M
  • Fill the last major hole with a draft pick. Nail the rest of the draft by adding BPAs for depth

The dead money from the cuts would be less than many of Dimi's cap years. The holes would be filled. We'd be younger and deeper. With these moves, the return of the three injured players and new coaching staff I think we'll be ready to make a run.

Vandy, Drew4719, kiwifalcon and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now