Falcons Fan MVP

How good do you think Itto Smith will be?

41 posts in this topic

Ito has good vision and runs nasty. I like him. Hard to know how good he'll get though. I think his floor is decent 2'nd/3'rd RB, ceiling is Freeman (Without the injuries, hopefully).

I really like Ito. He also showed to be a good blocker, extraordinary ability to make first guy miss,  and hopefully Keotter will get him more involved in passing game which is where I think he can be most dangerous.

This won't be popular but I don't see him as a starter, maybe a decent number 2 but last season he benefited from being a relative unknown so there likely was little tape or game-planning teams did for him.  I kinda think that if he were put into a prominent role again he'd struggle and fade by the end of the season.  That's also the reason I think Teco found a lot of success in previous years, because he has talent but also because teams prepped for Free.  Last season Teco had to shoulder the load, there was plenty of tape on him by that point, and he faded towards the end of the season.  Ito did well because he has talent but also because teams prepped for Teco. 

We need Free.  He's a true stud running back and he makes this team better.... so long as he's not pass-blocking that is...

1989Fan and egoprime II like this

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:48 PM, Knight of God said:

Average with flashes 

22 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

When we drafted Ito I watched his college tape and my first thought was wow he runs like Freeman. Tough runner with good vision and decent jump cuts. Not quite the ankle breaker Free is but slightly better top end speed. Can run inside or outside and recently said he's looking forward to running some of the inside zone stuff in Kutty's system.

I still think Maurice Hurst would have been a better pick in the fourth round.

Maybe Ito will look better to me, after we get some better linemen...

Knight of God and Vandy like this

How quick our fans sleep on Freeman. Dude is a top back in the league when healthy...and he will be healthy again this year. Y’all throw a player to the wolves over a couple injuries and act like he can’t play. Free is the hardest runner we had since Turner, and he is a good dude. Wish him the best, and glad he is a Falcon. 

Sad thing is if he was on another team or a FA his detractors would want the Falcons to ‘bring him home’ :rolleyes:

as for Ito, it sure would be sweet if he could be the pleasant surprise Free was. To be able to split carries and have that level of talent on the field all the time would be money.

Vandy likes this

10 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

How quick our fans sleep on Freeman. Dude is a top back in the league when healthy...and he will be healthy again this year. Y’all throw a player to the wolves over a couple injuries and act like he can’t play. Free is the hardest runner we had since Turner, and he is a good dude. Wish him the best, and glad he is a Falcon. 

Sad thing is if he was on another team or a FA his detractors would want the Falcons to ‘bring him home’ :rolleyes:

as for Ito, it sure would be sweet if he could be the pleasant surprise Free was. To be able to split carries and have that level of talent on the field all the time would be money.

Injuries 

egoprime II likes this

Ito Smith wikl be our Darren Sproles 3rd down back and we will draft a running back to compliment Freeman a bruiser like maybe Benny Snell.

Vandy likes this

9 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Injuries 

It happens. If he gets hurt again next season then we likely move on. Good thing teams didn’t quickly move on from Thomas Davis, Matthew stafford, Luke Keauchly, etc for injuries. 

Everyone acts like they know he will never be the same because he had a knee and concussions. Also, doesn’t change the fact that most around here want him gone for injuries, but if he was a FA they would want to sign him.

when healthy, he is a **** good RB.

Vandy likes this

Freeman is probably done as a NFL RB in reality. Hopefully, he comes into 2019 truly fully healed and at 100% physically and mentally... HOWEVER, the thing most fans are ignoring is the concussion history coupled with Freeman's head down style.  They go hand-in-hand.  IMO, Freeman is just one more concussion from likely being done in the NFL and to believe he will somehow magically escape that concussion is simply ignoring the reality of the situation.  Falcons are stuck with his contract for 2019 and thus hoping that for this season he can somehow return and be productive again for most of the season. But I bet that aren't betting on it. I will not be surprised at all to see the Falcons draft a RB somewhere in the top 4 rounds of the draft.

Keuchly had much worse concussion problems.

you very well could be right, but you also aren’t an expert by any means. The team thinks he will be fine. The biggest issue with concussions reoccurring is not letting them heal long enough before getting hit in the head again. Hopefully having a long time to fully heal helps the problem.

i hope he is fully healed and doesn’t have reoccurring concussions for both him and the Falcons. Fingers crossed.

HASHBROWN3 and Vandy like this

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

It happens. If he gets hurt again next season then we likely move on. Good thing teams didn’t quickly move on from Thomas Davis, Matthew stafford, Luke Keauchly, etc for injuries. 

Everyone acts like they know he will never be the same because he had a knee and concussions. Also, doesn’t change the fact that most around here want him gone for injuries, but if he was a FA they would want to sign him.

when healthy, he is a **** good RB.

When healthy. It’s been a while.

WhenFalconsWin likes this

I’ll rehash some points I made in a similar thread...

I think Ito Smith showed us he certainly does possess DF skills & I’m growing tired of the few here who diminish other RB’s in Atlanta for the sake of Freeman.

I’m a fan of DF but I’m not going to pretend the dude didn’t just waste 2 years of RB production.  Nor will I join in on the continued protectionism of him either.  

He’s overdue since he & his agent used the SB to scream “pay me”.  From that point forward we’ve seen injuries with little production unfortunately.

There’s  a pattern here.  It used to be protect Free at all costs over TECO to the point that those doing it were exposing their own weird agendas.  Now the same is developing with Ito.  

Sorry but I’m for giving credit to productive RB’s no matter what number they have on their backs.  

Enough of everyone playing martyr over Free. We see some of the same jackals here arrogantly demanding that Vic Beasley is a piece of poop making $12m/yr & then switch threads only to prop up Freeman whose been paid handsomely for 2 yrs of nothing???  

I will be all in pulling for DF on every single touch he’ll get this year!  I wish success to all of our RB’s who have the privilege of executing plays in this offense. But our best chances are when DF is doing his thing at 100% once again.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:36 AM, The Great American said:

I see him more as a complimentary back similiar to Jaquizz Rogers.  

Much more speed than Quizz though...I liked Quizz, but he runs like he is in mud

The Great American likes this

Ito's range of outcomes should be between Quizz's 2012 (750+ scrimmage yards, 2 TDs) and a mid level Devonta (1,200 scrimmage yards, 6 TDs). I have a feeling Koetter will use Ito as his Quizz clone, catching passes and converting 3rd downs. I know there is word that Quizz might be in the mix as well, but I trust the younger, healthier guy.

How good will Itto be?

Maybe the question is,, will he Choke in the playoffs.  aka pull a Gurley.

Uh huh,          > ,,!,  yerself   grandma made those cookies for me,  said little Johnny.