Falcons Fan MVP

How good do you think Itto Smith will be?

41 posts in this topic

How good do you guys think Itto Smith will be in 2019/And in the coming years? Do you think Itto Smith will be as good or better than Freeman and/or Coleman?  Do you expect him to possibly replace Freeman in the next couple of years? Or do you think he's more of just a complimentary back? 

I think he’ll replace Freeman & perform at a high level . I just hope we let him walk after we run the miles up . I think he’ll be good because he flashed a lot last year & for the most part we always seem to have good to solid RBs with the exception of SJax regardless of how we get them . 

Jam/Turner/Freeman/Dunn lead the pack . 

Snelling/Norwood/Quizz/Antone/Teco/ Duckett .. all solid . 

I could see Ito placing himself smack dab in the middle & that’d be great value . He showed alotta promise this year. 

SN: Only listed the RBs I seen play here . 

HASHBROWN3 likes this

I think hes a virtual Freeman clone with possibly more top end speed but a tad less acceleration, with better balance. Hes a bit over 200 lbs as well. Great hands, but needs to develop his route tree.

If he wants it And works for it he will be a classic falcon RB.

Flyin' In DC likes this

2 hours ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

I think he’ll replace Freeman & perform at a high level . I just hope we let him walk after we run the miles up . I think he’ll be good because he flashed a lot last year & for the most part we always seem to have good to solid RBs with the exception of SJax regardless of how we get them . 

Jam/Turner/Freeman/Dunn lead the pack . 

Snelling/Norwood/Quizz/Antone/Teco/ Duckett .. all solid . 

I could see Ito placing himself smack dab in the middle & that’d be great value . He showed alotta promise this year. 

SN: Only listed the RBs I seen play here . 

I like Ito, but he is not on Freeman's level. Ito hasn't shown that he is a between the tackles kind of runner. Ito is a catch and run back; a lesser version of Teco. We're going to need a bigger and faster RB to replace Freeman, and Ito is not that guy IMO.

8 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

I like Ito, but he is not on Freeman's level. Ito hasn't shown that he is a between the tackles kind of runner. Ito is a catch and run back; a lesser version of Teco. We're going to need a bigger and faster RB to replace Freeman, and Ito is not that guy IMO.

Nothing like Teco. Better balance, a lot less speed and acceleration. I'm also not sure he will be on the same level as a pass receiver as Teco. Ito is a lot more slippery though.

44 minutes ago, TNFalcon1 said:

Nothing like Teco. Better balance, a lot less speed and acceleration. I'm also not sure he will be on the same level as a pass receiver as Teco. Ito is a lot more slippery though.

Ito is a slippery runner for sure; he may work out well if utilized in the screen game, but I'm not going to get my hopes up about it.

TNFalcon1 likes this

12 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

How good do you guys think Itto Smith will be in 2019/And in the coming years? Do you think Itto Smith will be as good or better than Freeman and/or Coleman?  Do you expect him to possibly replace Freeman in the next couple of years? Or do you think he's more of just a complimentary back? 

Ito is a serviceable, run of the mill back.  We can get a much better RB in the late rounds of the draft.  I'm ot sure how good , or healthy Freeman will be this year either.  He got dinged up pretty bad last year and he is not a very big back that can take that kind of punishment every year.

TheUsualStuff likes this

13 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

When we drafted Ito I watched his college tape and my first thought was wow he runs like Freeman. Tough runner with good vision and decent jump cuts. Not quite the ankle breaker Free is but slightly better top end speed. Can run inside or outside and recently said he's looking forward to running some of the inside zone stuff in Kutty's system.

Ito and Free are comparable in my mind.  Both are compact, jump-cutters with good vision.  Free's the more physical/sudden runner but I think Ito is more patient and better in pass protection.  Ito may have better hands and a little faster (but not as quick).  Will say I wish we could have gotten better line play.  I think all our backs would thrive but Teco would have benefited the most and I think we will miss that explosiveness he had (do not expect him back).  Such a great combo of him and Free.

24 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I like Ito but he aint no Free. Trust me.

I agree but you're kinda arguing with yourself imho

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

When we drafted Ito I watched his college tape and my first thought was wow he runs like Freeman. Tough runner with good vision and decent jump cuts. Not quite the ankle breaker Free is but slightly better top end speed. Can run inside or outside and recently said he's looking forward to running some of the inside zone stuff in Kutty's system.

JDaveG likes this

4 hours ago, GleasonForever! said:

That footage alone looks one helluva lot like Free.  Let’s not kid ourselves.

I am a fan of DF but I’m not going to pretend the dude didn’t just waste 2 years of RB production.  Nor will I join in on the existing protectionism of him either.  

He’s overdue since he & his agent used the SB to scream “pay me”.  From that point on we’ve only seen injuries with little production unfortunately.

I’ve seen a pattern here.  It used to be protect free at all costs over TECO.  Now the same is developing with Ito.  Sorry but I’m for giving credit to productive RB’s no matter what number they have on their backs.  

I will be all in pulling for DF on every single touch he’ll get this year!

37 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

He's can become a **** good number 2 in my opinion. I'm more worried about Freeman right now.

I think Freeman has 1-2 good years left.

Complimentary guy.... solid #2.

That's not a knock. Every team needs a good 2nd guy, and they have value. 

I don't think he'll ever be as good as in his prime Freeman.

Unfortunately I am worried that Freeman will never be as good as in his prime Freeman either. 

I think DQ and staff would be very wise to go into this year expecting a RB committee, and Ito can be a valuable piece of that. We better have 3 guys who can all play significant reps this year, and if Freeman can hold up and be a healthy #1 in reps and results then we count it as a pleasant surprise.

Ito himself..... solid #2 type guy.