Champford

Brooks Reed Released

200 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

To be fair, everybody on defense was bad last year except for Jarrett. 

7 hours ago, ADAMSVILLE GYM said:

False.

Yeah that's false. Deion Jones impressed me the most in 2018 and he was out for most of the year. Kazee being the other guy as a ball hawker he was. The rest of the guys given how many games they started I can agree underperformed. Grady Jarrett is a great player, but he's not Aaron Donald or Justin Houston.... if doesn't get any help from the D-line, he will get double teamed big time. As someone already stated, with our D-line already being thin throughout 2018, losing Brooks Reed doesn't help at all. You must replace him AND add more pieces to the D-line on top of that. 

6 hours ago, athell said:

I don't hate Vic.  I like the dude and wish he would actually pan out.  But he stood out to me on the line as the worst dlinemen we had.  Missed tackles in the backfield, getting put in a blender, no move besides speed, Taysom hill making him look foolish, whiffed sacks, it goes on and on.

Raw stats don't tell the whole story, as always.  Vic outsnapped Brooks by 250.  He was also getting premier snaps.

Vic was worse than Brooks this season.  Vic was one of our most disappointing players this year.

I didn't even like Vic Beasley in 2017 either when he played multiple positions defensively and was hurt some. What made me very disappointed in Vic Beasley is when he did not show up at all in our playoff run to the Super Bowl. That was already a bad sign right there. I was expecting him to be that premiere pass rusher who was going to be all over folks in the postseason after leading the league in sacks in the regular season. Vic's best play all season was the fumble return for a TD against the Ravens, which was the only reason that game stayed close until the 4th quarter. 

Flying Falcon and athell like this

13 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

**** won’t do any good if it’s all spent in house. I know some guys are loved but the whole load shouldn’t be spent in house just to release those same guys in a couple of years

Now you're seeing the picture 

ya_boi_j likes this

14 hours ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Geez. Blank ain't playin.

no he isn't but good ,don't know if it was Super Bowl here and no Falcons in playoffs or his divorce or just getting up in age, but some times high turnover is a good thing. Lit a fire under Dimitroff and hopefully Pioli can get this draft right top to bottom,

BoomGoesTheDynamite likes this

9 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He is their best player...the 2nd most impactful person is Brady, and he is the NFL GOAT IMO.  Belichick should have been SB MVP quite honestly

Brady gets way too much credit for the dynasty

I really hope someone signs him, his high energy and motor throughout the last few seasons helped this team alot. He’s underrated af but here’s to you having a good career on another team. One of my favorite players

Edited by caponine
Hometownfan likes this

1 hour ago, caponine said:

As he should, Him and Bill

i think brady should not get the credit for bills design..i view brady as a byproduct of the system.  best o line, best o line coach, best head coach, best defensive coaches.  i dont know why people say he doesnt have weapons...hes had gronk, randy moss, etc.  and they have redefined the slot receiver- welker, edelman.  not to mention one of the best kickers in the game...the list goes on.  brady is good no doubt.  he would not be considered the best of all time without the supporting cast and coaches

12 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I think it’s a tough call because a cut means no compensation if we simply kept him in the option year price and let him walk next offseason.

We are making several cuts, yes, but does that really mean anything definitive yet with VB? IMO, no. Just from a value of losing compensation pick if he walks.

However, if we believe his price prevents a “win now” season at all costs for 2019 by hogging roughly $5-6M more on the cap than we’d like optimally?

I’m seeing obvious moves happening right now.

VB isn’t necessarily as obvious because of the other factors involved in the releases of Alford/Bryant/Reed. No risk they were going to be worth letting their contracts run out. We wanted their cap space back. Plus, 2 guys have replacements on roster and Means; while scheduled to be a FA of some sort, had already replaced Reed as well. Irvin is back most likely so is that VB’s writing on the wall?

If we cut VB outright, we have a massive DL overhaul. And not talking what cap space will yield. Then again, if he is projected to not be worth keeping in 2020 we sacrifice 2021 compensation by saying opt for elsewhere the next 2 years?

Enter Irvin for 2 and draft a replacement for Irvin and VB snaps this year or next at the latest? Read that as “a rotational edge rusher in pass rush situations only”? Meanwhile counting on Takk, interior DL overhaul?

$5-6MM in cap space is a very good player. That's Adrian Clayborn's cap hit. 

We need a massive DL overhaul. It's not been a good group. Why hold on to decent because the rest was trash? Even if he's kept, an overhaul is happening on the edges. I don't care about 2021 compensation. You're assuming he grows as a player unlike he's done to this point. I doubt Vic warrants more than a 5th round comp pick in 2021. If that's what I'm losing but saving $12.8MM, I'll make that trade every single day. 

Vic really isn't that hard of a situation. I think they drew the line in the sand with cutting Bryant and replacing him with Tavecchio. Irvin and Vic are the same player. Save the money and take the better player and the cap space. 

8 hours ago, JJC28 said:

whats bad is Reeds numbers are as good as 44 LMAO.

Yeah the 7 sacks he has in the past 4 years are totally comparable to Vic's 29.5.

Or even in Vic's past two "bad" years - 10 to Reed's 7 over 4.

Y'all are on some ****. 

PS: I'm advocating for trading Vic at this point but seriously Reed's numbers aren't anywhere close to "as good" as Vic's.

6 hours ago, mqg96 said:

Yeah that's false. Deion Jones impressed me the most in 2018 and he was out for most of the year. Kazee being the other guy as a ball hawker he was. The rest of the guys given how many games they started I can agree underperformed. Grady Jarrett is a great player, but he's not Aaron Donald or Justin Houston.... if doesn't get any help from the D-line, he will get double teamed big time. As someone already stated, with our D-line already being thin throughout 2018, losing Brooks Reed doesn't help at all. You must replace him AND add more pieces to the D-line on top of that. 

I wasn't really counting Jones because his season was robbed from him. Kazee, yes, had a lot of splash plays, but his coverage was very lackluster. Understandable as he was having to deal with crappy cb play and learn on the fly, but we missed Rico back there... I'm interested to see Kazee at nickel. 

13 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I think it’s a tough call because a cut means no compensation if we simply kept him in the option year price and let him walk next offseason.

Vic wouldn't be a cut though. If not retained at a lower number by the new league year, his option would be rescinded and he will be an UFA - putting him in the comp formula for next season, same as Matt Bryant.

Ergo Proxy likes this

4 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Yeah the 7 sacks he has in the past 4 years are totally comparable to Vic's 29.5.

Or even in Vic's past two "bad" years - 10 to Reed's 7 over 4.

Y'all are on some ****. 

PS: I'm advocating for trading Vic at this point but seriously Reed's numbers aren't anywhere close to "as good" as Vic's.

Thanks for saving me the effort of making the same point.

Ergo Proxy likes this

1 hour ago, caponine said:

As he should, Him and Bill

I think he and Bill have been there since the beginning, so I can't front on not giving them the credit.

14 hours ago, athell said:

His get off is elite.  He needs a counter move though and some tackling 101 classes :)

Love to see him take the next step. Tired of seeing him literally bounce off an Olineman. How hard can it be to develop the countermove?

A stud DT to pair with Grady would help a lot with Vic's sack totals too. 

Drew4719, Ergo Proxy and athell like this

2 hours ago, vel said:

$5-6MM in cap space is a very good player. That's Adrian Clayborn's cap hit. 

We need a massive DL overhaul. It's not been a good group. Why hold on to decent because the rest was trash? Even if he's kept, an overhaul is happening on the edges. I don't care about 2021 compensation. You're assuming he grows as a player unlike he's done to this point. I doubt Vic warrants more than a 5th round comp pick in 2021. If that's what I'm losing but saving $12.8MM, I'll make that trade every single day. 

Vic really isn't that hard of a situation. I think they drew the line in the sand with cutting Bryant and replacing him with Tavecchio. Irvin and Vic are the same player. Save the money and take the better player and the cap space. 

Agreed. I also think they don’t care about the potential compensation losses given how far away that is, but he probably gets $10M on the open market if he were cut right now.

Take losses AS LONG AS we properly use the $12.8M savings these next 2 years; such as securing Debo and Hooper.

I’m not sure we do more than a signing of Mack or Sanu’s caliber; but not both given the big contracts coming due to the aforementioned 2016 class. Neal gets a decent jump in year 5 on his option for 2020, right?

If we truly don’t see keeping VB it’s probably a team friendly deal or he is gone.

Again, must secure alternative plans or it becomes a draft day need.

Then again, interior DL only needs one guy next year. Replace McClain.

Outside needs:

Reed (Means?)

Shelby (5T or base DE ideally)

VB&/Or Irvin replacements (need edge rushers outside of Takk)

Edited by Ergo Proxy
vel likes this

1 hour ago, FentayeJones said:

Vic wouldn't be a cut though. If not retained at a lower number by the new league year, his option would be rescinded and he will be an UFA - putting him in the comp formula for next season, same as Matt Bryant.

So, that’s been clarified...if you extend the 5th but then rescind it; you still get credit for letting him walk and he is part of comp formula? Would help this decision a lot actually. Re-work him by the deadline on a budget extension. 2 years $14M but does he buy into the chance to have a huge 2 years here and make a mega payday like Mack?

See. ^THAT is what I’m wondering. If VB agreed to buy a little time on a better cap hit but we get him retained for 2 years and roughly half the hit we win. Not really gonna replace VB in one offseason and we need more than Irvin at his age.

43 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Love to see him take the next step. Tired of seeing him literally bounce off an Olineman. How hard can it be to develop the countermove?

A stud DT to pair with Grady would help a lot with Vic's sack totals too. 

Yea, if that initial speed burst gets contained, he is basically useless.  Needs to learn to convert that speed to power and set linemen up for counter moves.  He has the gifts...

falconidae likes this