Falcons releasing Matt Bryant

Tavecchio went 2-for-2 on XPs,  3-for-3 on field goals including the longest one in something like 40 years for a kicker in his first appearance for an NFL team*.   I think he'll be alright. 

If Matt was making something like 800k a year I would say give him one more year, but we need every cap dollar available...and his age is showing, like it or not. 

*Yeah I know he played for the Raiders.  Read it again if it confused you.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, octoslash said:

Tavecchio went 2-for-2 on XPs,  3-for-3 on field goals including the longest one in something like 40 years for a kicker in his first appearance for an NFL team.   I think he'll be alright. 

If Matt was making something like 800k a year I would say give him one more year, but we need every cap dollar available...and his age is showing, like it or not. 

*5-5

Italian Ice was 2-2 from 50+ yards and 2-2 from 40+. Dude didn't miss one kick and can blossom to be a very reliable kicker. His soccer background is a major plus.

1 minute ago, octoslash said:

Tavecchio went 2-for-2 on XPs,  3-for-3 on field goals including the longest one in something like 40 years for a kicker in his first appearance for an NFL team*.   I think he'll be alright. 

*Yeah I know he played for the Raiders.  Read it again if it confused you.

You think one good game means he should supplant a guy who has had multiple great years and has proven himself in clutch time. Blair Walsh was a good kicker in Minnesota. Haven't heard from him after what he did against Seattle. Clutch kickers do not grow on trees. Either they have it or they don't.

Just now, stizz said:

You think one good game means he should supplant a guy who has had multiple great years and has proven himself in clutch time. Blair Walsh was a good kicker in Minnesota. Haven't heard from him after what he did against Seattle. Clutch kickers do not grow on trees. Either they have it or they don't.

And I'm afraid Matt is losing it.  Not the clutch...just the leg. 

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Good move. Dude is an injury risk. Take the $2.8M in relief and let Giorgio handle the job. Don't be afraid to see him show up in NO, TB or CHI. The wheels will drop off soon. Good timing Dimi. Keep up the good work. Beasley up next. Trade him, re-work him on a low ball deal, or cut him.

be better to designate as a June 1st cut and use that money to sign our draft players.

1 hour ago, Monolith2001 said:

Bryant being released was a surprise but not crazy.  I knew that Italian Ice impressed and was hoping Money would just retire a Falcon.  What's bizarre is twitter is going in on Beasley hard on this news.  I hope he does not read twitter.  I know he gets crap all the time for his play but there is some straight up hate being posted.

That softie Beasley will probably retweet some of the insults. 

12 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

It's completely understandable actually. How would you feel if your spouse was fired from the job after posting up great results because she/he is getting older and you end up losing millions of dollars as a result? 

I get that. But, considering we have paid him literally millions and millions of dollars, I don’t see the point of calling out the organization. We were good to him & he was good to us. Sometimes you just have to move on, and he will he signed elsewhere for even more money. 

10 minutes ago, stizz said:

If you wanted to save money on ST, Bosher was the one to cut. Something isn't adding up here. 

He's 43,  had a leg injury last year and has a big contract, if that doesn't add up to being cut, you haven't been an NLF fan long.

Just now, stizz said:

Then keep both on the 53 until he proves he doesn't have it. The Falcons have money and could/should cut Bosher.

There's something deeper going on. 

They do not have the money to keep two kickers.