Falcons releasing Matt Bryant

3 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Way to ignore the first part of that. He's 43, he had a leg injury last year and a big contract. Age, injury, contract- That combo is going to apply to dozens of vets who get released over the few months.

It's actually a sign of respect to cut him as early as possible, to give him the most chance to catch on with another team.

How do the Falcons have 40 mil? OTC shows them at 14 mil, they get to carry over 1 mil, Alford is another 8 mil, that's 23 mil, not 40 mil.

OTC isn't updated man.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Black Francis said:

Bummer. I get it though. Cut him one year early rather than one year late but I don’t know. Clutch kickers are hard to come by. 

Cap hit of 2.5 million this year isn't that high. Should have kept him on one more year. If Travacchio bombs this year we are gonna be scraping the trash-heap of kickers next year. I'd pay 2.5 million of our cap to avoid that situation.

5 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Dude, this happened literally hours ago. I'm sure they will move on eventually, but if I broke you the news that I'm firing you and not paying you 3 million dollars I'm sure it would take you at least a couple of days to get over it.

Yeah, maybe so. I would still be thankful for what they did and not retweet people who say this organization is treating me like “dog ****”. 

1 minute ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Well I'm no doctor, so I don't know the probabilities of that specific injury happening again or not. I will be hoping they must have been significant for the team to make this move.

I'm not a doctor either, but he's 43 and no spring chicken. He'll kick winners elsewhere for sure, but this team figured to get younger at the position. Can't blame them.

Just now, TheFalcoholic said:

Yeah, maybe so. I would still be thankful for what they did and not retweet people who say this organization is treating me like “dog ****”. 

Easy to say, but personally I have no idea how I would react ot missing out on a huge pay-day and being kicked out of the team I've been busting my *** to contribute to for the last 10 years just a year after doing everything in my power to overcome injury and posting pro-bowl type numbers in the process. Must be a pretty hard pill to swallow, especially for wifey. 

2 minutes ago, stizz said:

Look man that's what my numbers have us at.

And, your numbers are just wrong. There are two major websites that do cap numbers- Over the Cap and Sportrac. Neither one of them have it anywhere close to 40 mil. Sportrac has us at 24 mil after the Bryant and Alford cuts, OTC at 14 mil because they don't adjust their figures until the cuts are actually made.

2018 free agents aren't cap savings in 2019, doesn't work that way.

1 minute ago, falconidae said:

And, your numbers are just wrong. There are two major websites that do cap numbers- Over the Cap and Sportrac. Neither one of them have it anywhere close to 40 mil. Sportrac has us at 24 mil after the Bryant and Alford cuts, OTC at 14 mil because they don't adjust their figures until the cuts are actually made.

2018 free agents aren't cap savings in 2019, doesn't work that way.

Well I'm telling you what my numbers are and we're near 40 with the Schraeder cut. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Easy to say, but personally I have no idea how I would react ot missing out on a huge pay-day and being kicked out of the team I've been busting my *** to contribute to for the last 10 years just a year after doing everything in my power to overcome injury and posting pro-bowl type numbers in the process. Must be a pretty hard pill to swallow, especially for wifey. 

It's tough to uproot yourself and your 40 kids to a new city and school, sell your house, buy a new house, and have to deal with the FA stuff again flying all over the country looking for work.

I understand why Melissa is mad and I was in favor of keeping MB3 around but retweeting Swift is always a poor decision.

1 minute ago, AtlantaFanatic said:

It's tough to uproot yourself and your 40 kids to a new city and school, sell your house, buy a new house, and have to deal with the FA stuff again flying all over the country looking for work.

I understand why Melissa is mad and I was in favor of keeping MB3 around but retweeting Swift is always a poor decision.

Agreed. I'm a bachelor and just decided to move from the midwest to a much warmer city south and even that was a bit of a decision. I couldn't imagine they'd settle for a colder place but would probably want to sign with a contender. His options are a bit limited to maybe Seattle or Dallas. I wouldn't want to move a big family to Chicago at all. 

5 minutes ago, stizz said:

You just said we should hold on to Schareder in another thread for 8 million and then said "whoops, I didn't see him get benched." Should probably sit this one out, bro. 

Nah I can admit when I'm wrong unlike you. FA and Schraeder don't get to 40. Send a link to your numbers.

To get 40 you'd have to cut Reed, Fusco, and Riley.

14 minutes ago, stizz said:

Well I'm telling you what my numbers are and we're near 40 with the Schraeder cut. 

What you're saying is IF they make these cuts, they'll have this much money. What everybody else is saying is the money we actually have on hand.

So, no they don't  have 40 mil in cap room, they could potentially have that much, but you weren't saying they COULD have that much, you were saying they DID have that much.