atljbo

Falcons releasing Matt Bryant

307 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

Because DQ has proven that he isnt as good at  drafting/selecting players like the board tries to pretend he is. 

lol wut

1 minute ago, Falcanuck said:

Not even close. Justin Tucker is the undisputed best kicker in the NFL, perhaps in history. Zurlein as well. 

You realize Matt Bryant's stats are better than both of those guys right? It's not difficult to google that.

1 minute ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Yup, in the regular season. If you feel comfortable with him kicking a game winning FG in the playoffs for the first time in his career, more power to you. I don't. 

Exactly..95% of teams don't feel comfortable with there kicker in the clutch..we lost one of the biggest weapons in football

1 minute ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Yup, in the regular season. If you feel comfortable with him kicking a game winning FG in the playoffs for the first time in his career, more power to you. I don't. 

I will never feel comfortable with a kicker as much as I do with Money Matt.  He has been so clutch over the years.  Fact remains though, he carried a high cap hit, has started showing signs of aging, and we have a capable backup in Italian Ice.  It sucks, I'm with you...but the timing lines up here.  There is also a timeline that an aging Bryant misses a critical FG because we held onto him too long...

mqg96 likes this

Just now, Dr Long Shot said:

You realize Matt Bryant's stats are better than both of those guys right? It's not difficult to google that.

Tucker hasn't been a top kicker for 2 years!! Not even close

33 minutes ago, socalriseup said:

oh how im gonna laugh when the tevecchio experiment fails.

do not like this AT ALL

Why? We cut a kicker who can't kick over 50 yards. And at best he's here 2 more years.

Osiruz likes this

Just now, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

Do the research, he's around 24%

If you think DQ has "proven he isnt as good at  drafting/selecting players" I have nothing for you because you are blissfully unaware of or are ignoring common sense.

21 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

I don't like this move. I know this is a business. I know that. But this guy earned the right to retire a Falcon on his own terms. Just my (emotional) take. I'm still furious he couldn't have retired on the unbelievably high note of kicking the game-clinching SB 51 field goal. F*** you, Shanahan.

Also, I like Lefty. And he was good in a truly clutch moment in the Giants game. But a play-off game, 50-yarder, game on the line? I still want Bryant.

50 yards and Bryant gets hurt. You sure about that?

socalriseup likes this

why will i laugh at us? because we are giving up a guy who we can run out there and expect him to make almost any distance field goal under 60yds.

to rely on someone who made a few kicks last year and also kicks lefty so snaps can become an issue.

bryant should have retired a falcon.

the security we had at the position is gone now.

ZoneOne01 and stizz like this

4 minutes ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

Post the roster please :munch:

Smitty’s guys:

Matt Ryan, Devonta Freeman, Julio Jones, Levine Toilolo, Jake Matthews, Ryan Schreader on offense, then on D we got Robert Alford, Trufant and that’s it. We could count Ricardo Allen but he was on the practice squad before DQ showed up. 

DQ’s guys:

Tevin Coleman, Levitre, Mack, Chester, Sanu. And then the entire remaining defense and rotation were brought in by Quinn. 

Idk where you pulled the 73% number out of. 

Just now, athell said:

I will never feel comfortable with a kicker as much as I do with Money Matt.  He has been so clutch over the years.  Fact remains though, he carried a high cap hit, has started showing signs of aging, and we have a capable backup in Italian Ice.  It sucks, I'm with you...but the timing lines up here.  There is also a timeline that an aging Bryant misses a critical FG because we held onto him too long...

I understand the reasons, but I don't agree with them. Matt made 96% of his field goals last year and has made 18 50+ yard kicks in the last three years at a 81% clip.  I'm pretty sure that is tops in the league. Travecchio is completely unproven and if he bombs next year it will cost us wins.

ZoneOne01, athell and Sterling like this

4 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Bryant attempted 15+ less kicks last season and is a career 6% lower kicker than Tucker. Durability is also an issue and while leg strength hasn’t been an issue YET, I’d prefer a younger leg for longer kicks. 

17 minutes ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

Yup but what yall hate to admit is that 73% of that team was Smitty's players. The team moves backwards with the more DQ guys we add, but like I already said next year the excuse will be "they're rookie/2nd year players"

LOL, nope, over half the roster was different and the only starters on defense from 2014 in 2016 were Alford and Trufant, 6 of the offensive starters were different.

When more than half the team is different and 15 of 22 starters are different, that's DQ's team.

7 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

No but he will miss a game winning or tieing FG while Bryant will nail his. I don't like this move at all..we just lost the best kicker in football 

No we didn't

2 minutes ago, athell said:

If you think DQ has "proven he isnt as good at  drafting/selecting players" I have nothing for you because you are blissfully unaware of or are ignoring common sense.

Or it’s because he has an expectation that every draft pick must be a hit. Forget that 2nd round pick Deion Jones has played like a top 5 draft pick. Only remember Jalen Collins

FalconBlood23 and athell like this

Just now, Dr Long Shot said:

I understand the reasons, but I don't agree with them. Matt made 96% of his field goals last year and has made 18 50+ yard kicks in the last three years at a 81% clip.  I'm pretty sure that is tops in the league. Travecchio is completely unproven and if he bombs next year it will cost us wins.

He also missed two games, presumably due to age, and the games he was in on he had to heat his back to stay loose.  Father time remains undefeated and it's not like we are scrapping him for Aguayo.  Georgio is not completely unproven.  He stepped in last year for us and went 5 for 5.  Again, I say that there is also a timeline that an aging Matt Bryant bombs and cost us wins due to missed field goals.  There is no guarantee Matt would continue to be Matt.  

With all the holes along the lines, and with extensions looming for Grady, Debo, Neal, etc. we need the cap space.  At the end of the day the NFL is a business and this is a business decision.

2 minutes ago, falconidae said:

LOL, nope, over half the roster was different and the only starters on defense from 2014 in 2016 were Alford and Trufant, 6 of the offensive starters were different.

When more than half the team is different and 15 of 22 starters are different, that's DQ's team.

Ok then post the roster lets see who was on that team

4 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

50 yards and Bryant gets hurt. You sure about that?

Yes, I am. I want the veteran with experience in that biggest of moments for a kicker. Besides, he blew out his hamstring MAKING the 50-yarder, not missing it, lol.

socalriseup likes this

9 minutes ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

Post the roster please :munch:

Smitty's players made up about 37% of our starters. And that's only if you count Trufant (IR), Rico (Smitty cut), and Freeman (Smitty refused to use). 

2 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

No we didn't

You must have missed all the missed fgs that cost teams playoff spots, playoff games, or even a small.chance to tie the game in a sb. Meanwhile Bryant comes back with 1 leg and is just as clutch as before

Just now, Falcanuck said:

Bryant attempted 15+ less kicks last season and is a career 6% lower kicker than Tucker. Durability is also an issue and while leg strength hasn’t been an issue YET, I’d prefer a younger leg for longer kicks. 

Career numbers are a terrible comparison. Bryant was an average kicker until he came to Atlanta, and since then he has been absolutely elite. Compare Justin Tucker Stats to Matt Bryant's stats with Atlanta and there is a slight edge in overall FG% 89% to 90%) but Matt Bryant kills him in FG% for 50+ yarders (78% to 70%). There is an argument for Tucker, but to say that he is unquestionabally better than Matt Bryant has been the last 10 years is absolutely false.

Smiler11 likes this