Geneaut

7 wide receiver prospects for the Falcons in the 2019 NFL draft

40 posts in this topic

Hunter Rentfow would be an awesome pick up. Looking at someone like Edelman in the super bowl we could use that underneath smaller, quicker guy with good hands who is clutch. If he drops to a round after we draft OL and DL I'd be all in. He won't wow anyone with numbers, but the kid is a better receiver in college than I ever was; prototypical slot. 

falconfansince66 likes this

I'm a huge fan of 3rd and 4th round WRs.  This year I'd wait until the 4th though unless something crazy happened.

Give Ryan time and he'll find the guys we have.

I would be interested in any sizable prospect who can catch contested passes.  Get a Sanu replacement and a guy who can help in the red zone.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Image result for madden 19

Shoulda drafted him. He was the BPA. Dimi went pure need with Beasley. Gurley and Free would have been a one two RB punch the league woulda had serious issues with. That draft class was deep in edge rushers. Could have double dipped. Hunter, Clark, P. Smith, Z. Smith, Golden, Flowers, you name it. Gregory may have even been better than Beasley. After four seasons we're comin up on 2019 and still have question marks at RB and DE. Troffed bro. You know it.

1 hour ago, Geneaut said:

Understood. If we didn't have the Comp Picks I probably wouldn't be that extremely interested in one, and even then I'd want them to be someone they are certain on instead of just taking one to take one if you know what I mean. 

If Gage continues to play fast and physical like he showed us last season I feel good about him and Hall with our main 3 as a very deep group of WRs.

The thing is, anyone you would draft would be a special teams guy first, WR second so it would have to be a physical guy that likes to block and tackle. 

So the real question is, is a 5th worth a special teams only guy?

Geneaut likes this

5 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

The thing is, anyone you would draft would be a special teams guy first, WR second so it would have to be a physical guy that likes to block and tackle. 

So the real question is, is a 5th worth a special teams only guy?

Well, I like WRs that can do those things, but you have a point.

34 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Well, I like WRs that can do those things, but you have a point.

I mean, I like receivers as well, I just see other needs(With available talented players) being on the board when we pick. 

On a side note, I would be very ok for us to possibly select a TE in the mid rounds(4th round or later) if a BPA falls like that.

Seems like there are a few talented guys out there that are projecting to still be there at the moment.

outside of that, I am stuck on Front seven/OL players.

Geneaut likes this

24 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I mean, I like receivers as well, I just see other needs(With available talented players) being on the board when we pick. 

On a side note, I would be very ok for us to possibly select a TE in the mid rounds(4th round or later) if a BPA falls like that.

Seems like there are a few talented guys out there that are projecting to still be there at the moment.

outside of that, I am stuck on Front seven/OL players.

My take on it is I'd probably be willing to spend one pick on either a TE\RB\WR\QB, and it would have to be someone with a unique skillset. Just one though. I'd like to see mostly trenches, LB, and DB be the focus.

Edited by Geneaut
Ezekiel 25:17 likes this

5 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

My take on it is I'd probably be willing to spend one pick on either a TE\RB\WR\QB, and it would have to be someone with a unique skillset. Just one though. I'd like to see mostly trenches, LB, and DB be the focus.

I am ok with a “balanced” draft but we cannot have an all skilled position draft this time! 

There are too many Big Uglies(DL/OL/LB) in this draft not get at least five of them in any combination. 

And FA shouldn’t have much bearing on it as depth is a GOOD thing! 

Geneaut likes this

6 hours ago, Geneaut said:

Round 5 is a great place to target either a RB or WR I believe in this draft. By then we should have already made 5 picks ( counting our comp 4th ) and we better have already picked up a lot of OL/DL beef by then. I might even use the comp 4th on one if the target was right. 

Got to go with trenches though early and often.

Yep...No WR before 4th round...either our 4th comp or later...

I do think we take a WR in this draft. We need to find a #4 that can become a slot in a year to replace Sanu and good return skills would be a super plus

Geneaut likes this

This is what makes Coleman an interesting FA we need another WR no doubt. Coleman if used properly really is more of a 5th wide out. I think that gives him value to stay. I don't think trans ate gonna be offering more than 4-5 mil per year for a RB of his caliber

6 hours ago, pearljamnash13 said:

Hunter Rentfow would be an awesome pick up. Looking at someone like Edelman in the super bowl we could use that underneath smaller, quicker guy with good hands who is clutch. If he drops to a round after we draft OL and DL I'd be all in. He won't wow anyone with numbers, but the kid is a better receiver in college than I ever was; prototypical slot. 

Renfrow's a baller. Would love it if we can snag him up with a 4th/5th round pick.

pearljamnash13 likes this

10 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

This is the best WR class in recent memory. Unfortunately we don’t need one

You can never have enough good receivers. Julio isn’t getting any younger, and it’s time to start grooming these young recievers to see who’s going to be the next beast like him! Not in an early round though, we need to go trenches 1-3 

Falcons In 2012 likes this

I think we need to be careful and in a sense let the draft come to us a bit. We need trenches, and it's a deep draft at least on the DL side so we should be able to mostly go BPA in that arena with a judicial 'grab' at times if a potential skill player comes available that you just can't pass up on. The thing is we probably shouldn't make many of those grabs early unless the haul is just extraordinary. 

For example, if we are sitting on the clock for our 3rd and some phenom CB/WR/RB/LB just happens to be available and we've already taken an OL and DL <perhaps> you debate taking that chance. Especially if you've targetted some potential OL/DL picks in the 4th and 5th where we have multiple selections and they still seem to be available. If you use a 3rd on those non-trench positions they can't be some guy you see just being a STs contributor though. He's going to have to be starter material.

Some of all of this it is going to depend on if the FO thinks there are picks available in later rounds that fit our positions of need. If we think there aren't in OL available that are worth taking after the 3rd then you need to go OL early. If you have multiple guys on your OL board in every round then you can be  a little more daring, and break the narrative to a certain extent. I don't know our board so it's hard to say what the plan is. All of that is also reliant on your scouting department identifying suitable talent, and that those guys are available when you pick.

In summary ... fill needs in areas of where the draft is deep by taking BPA in those areas ( OL/DL ), but be prepared to jump on the unexpected treasure that drops to you by having later round needs scouted well.

Edited by Geneaut

Greg Dortch from Wake Forest is another late-round WR prospect who could come in and compete for that #4/#5 WR spot next to Hall and Gage.  Dortch is also a better kick & punt returner than anyone on our current squad.