Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalconsIn2012

Ford vs Jonah

40 posts in this topic

An anonymous scout told Bob McGinn of Bob McGinn Football that Alabama T Jonah Williams is "soft."
The full quote: "He’s soft," he said. "He has good feet but he gets pushed. He has no strength or power." Williams is considered by many to be the best offensive lineman in this class, but it's not unanimous. This scout doesn't consider him a first-round pick (obviously), and others like Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline have raise their reservations as well. Another scout tells McGinn that Williams is "Technically sound. Good hand placement. Very consistent." It's going to be very interesting to see where Williams ranks after the combine. Jan 30 - 4:47 PM

Edited by Cole World
Osiruz likes this

3 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

So if we avoid DT in round 1 and opt for a RT, who you got?  Jonah or Ford?

My uneducated 2 cents:

Jonah is athletic, a good fit for ZBS and could transition Day 1.  Short arms and core strength vs the likes of Cam Jordan are a concern.  His ceiling: Pro Bowl

My preference is Ford.  His transition may not be seamless.  His 1/4 crouch has to go in the NFL.  Not great on the edge vs speed...ZBS isn’t proper fit.  But his athleticism at 340 is uncommon.  And while his ceiling at RT is perennial Pro Bowl, at RG his comp is Quinton Nelson. All Pro and possible HOF.  Mauler.  He can play every position on the line but OC which is so valuable in today’s NFL.

So who is your take?

I think this comparison for Cody Ford is very generous. He isn’t the same player as Quentin. This is a guard who was All Pro as a rookie. 

We are gonna draft to the scheme, so the big thing is do the tapes and measurable say he can fit our scheme? And is he is G or T? Is he just athletic or does the tape show he can pull and block at the 2nd level as well?

Jonah is a plug and play RT who can slide over to LT if Jake gets hurt. He is a technician like Jake as well, technique does a lot to cover up strength, on the converse, bad technique can make all of that strength useless (see Jake Matthews vs Greg Robinson)

i would take Jonah of the two personally....but just hope the staff finds who is the best OLman and gets them!

Osiruz and FalconsIn2012 like this

2 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

I think this comparison for Cody Ford is very generous. He isn’t in the same zip code as Quentin. This is a guard who was All Pro as a rookie. 

We are gonna draft to the scheme, so the big thing is do the tapes and measurable say he can fit our scheme? And is he is G or T? 

Jonah is a plug and play RT who can slide over to LT if Jake gets hurt. He is a technician like Jake as well, technique does a lot to cover up strength, on the converse, bad technique can make all of that strength useless (see Jake Matthews vs Greg Robinson)

i would take Jonah of the two personally.

Nelson is the ceiling for Ford at OG..not really the direct comp

1989Fan likes this

2 hours ago, atljbo said:

To the topic..  I feel like either one will be a great fit for us... Both can play Guard or Tackle ... 

If I had to pick between the 2 to me it's like the Lewan or Matthews debate coming out of college... To me Jonah is Matthews .. Technical sound aND athletic... Ford I'd more like Lewan. He is big ,athletic and he is going to rough a muutherfuka up ... 

Well if that is the case this time I'd take ford..we need more nastiness on the line.big reason I missed Harvey daul dude was nasty af and didn't care.

atljbo likes this

Cody Ford could be our pro bowl RG for the next decade. It’s not an sexy top 15 pick but much needed in today’s NFL. Look how Quentin Nelson turned the Colts pass/run blocking around this year. Pair Ford with Matthews & Mack, we have 3 solid offensive linemen inside and out. 

Edited by shock

When looking for OL, my philosophy is try to find the sure thing. It's the reason I preferred Matthews over Lewan back in the day and why I would prefer Jonah over Ford today. Ford may have a higher ceiling but  that doesn't mean that Jonah's ceiling isn't perennial pro-bowler and Jonah comes with a ridiculously high floor.    

Osiruz and g-dawg like this

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

We had more "Matthews vs. Lewan" discussions as everyone thought correctly that Robinson would be gone.

There were plenty of both. Also quite a far share of we'll be sorry threads.  Both turned about to be pretty good. Robinson on the other hand ...well the Rams made it to the super bowl.

1 hour ago, Summerhill said:

Eh Robinson had a lot of playbook issues coming from a simplified read-option offense. Ford is coming from a sophisticated passing offense. 

Ford doesn't have proper bend and is still a little raw, Robinson was raw coming out but looked like a tank. Tbh I rather play it safe and settle for a Matthews over a Taylor Lewan or Peters. 

1 minute ago, Jesus said:

There were plenty of both. Also quite a far share of we'll be sorry threads.  Both turned about to be pretty good. Robinson on the other hand ...well the Rams made it to the super bowl.

Personally, I was a Lewan fan at the time.   It's early still but he has been a little better than Jake - although Jake is good.

26 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

When looking for OL, my philosophy is try to find the sure thing. It's the reason I preferred Matthews over Lewan back in the day and why I would prefer Jonah over Ford today. Ford may have a higher ceiling but  that doesn't mean that Jonah's ceiling isn't perennial pro-bowler and Jonah comes with a ridiculously high floor.    

agree with everything you said here other than "perennial pro-bowler"  :D

2 hours ago, Summerhill said:

Eh Robinson had a lot of playbook issues coming from a simplified read-option offense. Ford is coming from a sophisticated passing offense. 

People keep saying Robinson because Ford is big and athletic. That's it. His technique and footwork are still great considering he's played at RT for just a year.