Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalconsIn2012

Ford vs Jonah

40 posts in this topic

So if we avoid DT in round 1 and opt for a RT, who you got?  Jonah or Ford?

My uneducated 2 cents:

Jonah is athletic, a good fit for ZBS and could transition Day 1.  Short arms and core strength vs the likes of Cam Jordan are a concern.  His ceiling: Pro Bowl

My preference is Ford.  His transition may not be seamless.  His 1/4 crouch has to go in the NFL.  Not great on the edge vs speed...ZBS isn’t proper fit.  But his athleticism at 340 is uncommon.  And while his ceiling at RT is perennial Pro Bowl, at RG his comp is Quinton Nelson. All Pro and possible HOF.  Mauler.  He can play every position on the line but OC which is so valuable in today’s NFL.

So who is your take?

Like everything you said. I know some will question the thought of taking him at 14 but I think he adds a nasty we don't have and coupled with a good FA O-Lineman or additional draft prospect will give us the stability on the O-Live we're desperately in the need of. 

Edited by MD-FalconFan13
Osiruz, FalconsIn2012 and atlbaby like this

Easily Jonah. He is the best fit and while his ceiling may not be super high, its that of a perennial probowler at RT.  I dont think he is on J. Matthews level so I would be hestitant to take him that high but he is a decent athlete and his skills translate better to our team. 

I cant see us investing in a 335 lbs mauler when the rest of the OL we have drafted and or signed has been 300 lbs give or take 5 to 10.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 minute ago, Stryka said:

Easily Jonah. He is the best fit and while his ceiling may not be super high, its that of a perennial probowler at RT.  I dont think he is on J. Matthews level so I would be hestitant to take him that high but he is a decent athlete and his skills translate better to our team. 

I cant see us investing in a 335 lbs mauler when the rest of the OL we have drafted and or signed has been 300 lbs give or take 5 to 10.

Your logic is sound.  I love that we can slide Ford inside if need be. Far less bust potential

4 minutes ago, atlbaby said:

Ford, Ford, Ford

The Viking fans seem to like him as well.

I was about to say this... Oklahoma ran some zone and did alot of pulling so I don't get why ppl are saying it's not a fit... That's what he did..  Movement is not a issue

vitaman, Osiruz and atlbaby like this

To the topic..  I feel like either one will be a great fit for us... Both can play Guard or Tackle ... 

If I had to pick between the 2 to me it's like the Lewan or Matthews debate coming out of college... To me Jonah is Matthews .. Technical sound aND athletic... Ford I'd more like Lewan. He is big ,athletic and he is going to rough a muutherfuka up ... 

1 minute ago, atljbo said:

To the topic..  I feel like either one will be a great fit for us... Both can play Guard or Tackle ... 

If I had to pick between the 2 to me it's like the Lewan or Matthews debate coming out of college... To me Jonah is Matthews .. Technical sound aND athletic... Ford I'd more like Lewan. He is big ,athletic and he is going to rough a muutherfuka up ... 

And if we are on the clock and you’re calling in the pick?

2 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Ford or Jonah?  YES please

I would take either.  Also believe both could play RT or OG.   Like your comparisons above and Falcons would do well to get either and both would be good value at #14.

atljbo, FalconsIn2012 and atlbaby like this

11 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Ford or Jonah?  YES please

I would take either.  Also believe both could play RT or OG.   Like your comparisons above and Falcons would do well to get either and both would be good value at #14.

Jonah is a technique guy.  Not sure he has the core strength to slide inside.  But WTF do I know

g-dawg likes this

22 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

And if we are on the clock and you’re calling in the pick?

Mannnnn ...  Both ... But naw if I had to pick... with the 14th pick.. The Atlanta Falcons select.... 6'4 320lbs Cody Ford

FalconsIn2012 and atlbaby like this

I think Jonah can play Guard in our zone blocking scheme.... 

I  don't get why ppl acting like Fod can't play  RT...  

I think both can play either... I feel like it all depends on our need .

1.Do we think Schraeder had 1 bad year and bring him back ?

2.Do we think Ty showed enough to be the guy at RT.

3. Do we sign a RT or Guard in FA.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

2 minutes ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

Jonah is the sure thing, while Ford is a mystery box. I compare them to Matthews and Greg Robinson coming out.

I will agree that Jonah is the safer pick of the two - that is why he will go higher.

Osiruz likes this

43 minutes ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

Jonah is the sure thing, while Ford is a mystery box. I compare them to Matthews and Greg Robinson coming out.

Eh Robinson had a lot of playbook issues coming from a simplified read-option offense. Ford is coming from a sophisticated passing offense. 

Francis York Morgan likes this

He will probably go before our pick, but I believe more people will gravitate towards Tackle Jawaan Taylor after the combine.

That's my guy if we go tackle.