vitaman

NFL Requirement

31 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, kschreck said:

Exactly.  

The head coach is responsible for the coaching staff and team as well as the product on the field. Publicly throwing people under the bus, in most cases, shows weakness in my opinion.  If someone needs to be corrected, fails, etc have a conversation with them.  Don't go to the media and tell everyone. 

That, in many cases, just breaks down trust.  

Also to add to your point...you don't publicly belittle people.  Any issues you feel went wrong in the game, you correct those behind closed doors. Addressing it to the public only makes you look like a jerk and YES people will not want to play for you.  LOL.  The ongoings of the team should and will be addressed within the team.  Media will write whatever they want anyways, so keep to yourself.  Taking blame is a strong asset to have as a leader because then you can address it during private meetings and within the organization.

5 hours ago, vitaman said:

After listening to Sean McVay take full blame for losing the game, I realized I have heard this before.

DQ says basically the same thing after every loss. It gets boring. It feels disingenuous. 

Is it just that if they tell the truth of players staying out too late or missing assignments, no free agents will want to play for them? Or is it something the NFL as a league requests of them?

The reason it's good leadership is because it takes the heat off of the players. Full ownership trickles down and if the players know that the coach is taking the heat for their lack of execution it puts the preassure on them to deliver and it takes away the opportunity for them to deflect blame onto others and create excuses. As a subjugate if you see your boss not taking the blame and putting it on someone else you will do the same and you end up with a team where no one takes responsibility for the results.

It's why what is going on in New Orleans is so amazing. The team is imploding and no one from the players, to the coach, to ownership for the dozens of opportunities they blew in the game against the Rams. That type of attitude will lead future failure, and you can bank on that. 

Of course the head Coach is ultimately responsible but it would be refreshing to hear more honesty. Plus I wouldn't tune out the coach in the future if he really spoke from his heart. Plus......What if it really was ALL on MvVay? Like the boy who cried Wolf......There is just no way to know given that speech.

35 minutes ago, vitaman said:

Of course the head Coach is ultimately responsible but it would be refreshing to hear more honesty. Plus I wouldn't tune out the coach in the future if he really spoke from his heart. Plus......What if it really was ALL on MvVay? Like the boy who cried Wolf......There is just no way to know given that speech.

That's what team and individual meetings are for - not highly public press conferences and public addresses. The former lend themselves to honesty and candor, the latter to decorum and ownership by management. 

6 hours ago, Lornoth said:

Are you saying Goff having nobody to throw to all game wasn't at all the fault of the guy calling the plays? McVay's their OC and they scored 3 points.

When you say that, "he had no one to throw to all game", do you include the wide open receiver that he missed, threw to late, and McCourty was able to break up the pass?