Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mqg96

MQG96's biggest takeaway from the Patriots Super Bowl victory.

43 posts in this topic

DEFENSE STILL WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS AT THE END OF THE DAY!!!!!!

This Super Bowl was NOT about Tom Brady or even Julian Edelman (even tho he deserved MVP), this Super Bowl was about the Patriots top 10 scoring defense (ranked #7 all year). They overpowered that high powered Rams offense. All year long people thought this would finally be the year a high powered offense wins it all and the talk was this is becoming an offensively friendly league and defenses are going down the drain. Not so fast my friend. If you're a real fan of the sport, as much as you hate the Patriots, you gotten love the defensive scheme and the packages they brought in to take away what the Rams did best. This reminded me of what the #1 defense of Broncos did to Cam Newton and the Panther's high powered offense a few years back. 

The Falcons have only had 1 top 10 scoring defense after our first Super Bowl appearance, which was in a year that wasn't Matt Ryan's best season and that defense still didn't get enough turnovers. That's unacceptable. Despite how good the 2017 Falcons defense was, I still believe the 1998 Falcons was the last team that gave this city a defense worth getting really excited for. We've had talent like John Abraham, Brent Grimes, Willy Moore, Dwight Freeney, Grady Jarrett, Corey Peters, and so forth, but with the scheme we've had and most of our personnel, we have been a mediocre or average at best defense.

As long as Matt Ryan is our quarterback, until our front office can finally put together a great defense, a defense with great leaders that have that dawg and fire in them, we aren't going back to the Super Bowl anytime soon. I don't believe it. High scoring offenses will set all these records in the regular season, but once they get in the playoffs or get deep in the playoffs, a top 10 scoring defense always beats them somehow someway. You don't have a historical offense every year, but you can have no worse than a top 10 scoring defense every year if you have the right scheme, personnel, and coaching staff, and with the amount of numbers Matt Ryan has put up in his 11 seasons in Atlanta, it's a shame that we can't ever give him a defense and it angers me TBH. I don't care how it happens. Dan Quinn should be taking notes here. 

@JD dirtybird21 You are right. Tom Brady is a great player, but he doesn't deserve all the credit for the Patriots success over the years when you have those top 10 scoring defenses combined with the success of Bill Belichick (the Saban of the NFL) taking away what an opposing opponent does best. 

Billy B is just a defensive genius and McDaniel's is like a wizard with his formations. Their offense has multi purpose players at every position in Michel, Edelman, Gronk, Burkhead, and White.

ya_boi_j likes this

24 minutes ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

Billy B is just a defensive genius and McDaniel's is like a wizard with his formations. Their offense has multi purpose players at every position in Michel, Edelman, Gronk, Burkhead, and White.

LOL check down, check down, check down.

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

They could sit all day and get pummeled like the Rams. Not sure what is wrong with checkdowns.

The Rams D played pretty well too, just lost.

JDaveG and Osiruz like this

27 minutes ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

It's literally just Edelman over the middle. WE should know all about it.

5 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Yes but the beauty of it is how they get teams to buy check downs. Teams sit on and annihilate our check downs because we telegraph them. They load 2 great wrs to one side and have one run a drag and the other run a slant and boom, you've got edleman from the rb position wide open for a chain moving check down. Its like football pr0n.

23 minutes ago, Jesus said:

They could sit all day and get pummeled like the Rams. Not sure what is wrong with checkdowns.

The Rams D played pretty well too, just lost.

That it doesn't take a genius to design them is my point.

25 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

It's literally just Edelman over the middle. WE should know all about it.

He plays rb as well. They move their players around very well.

1 hour ago, Geneaut said:

About 60% of SB champs have both top 10 Defenses and Top 10 Offenses.

True, but whenever it's the top remaining defense in the league vs the top remaining offense in the league, the top remaining defense has usually been on the winning side and a lot of times the top remaining offense gets crushed by the top remaining defense. The 1989 49ers was a rare exception, and maybe the 1999 Rams too I'm not sure. 

Geneaut and Flying Falcon like this

The stats are nearly the same for number of Super Bowl winners that had a top 10 offense.

Super Bowl winners tend to be good on both sides of the ball.

This game was a defensive struggle, but the Pats in just the former game were in a 30 point affair.  You need both.

Geneaut likes this

28 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

True, but whenever it's the top remaining defense in the league vs the top remaining offense in the league, the top remaining defense has usually been on the winning side and a lot of times the top remaining offense gets crushed by the top remaining defense. The 1989 49ers was a rare exception, and maybe the 1999 Rams too I'm not sure. 

You can't discount NE having the #4 scoring Offense in the NFL in 2018. They paired it with the #7 defense in points allowed.

Balance. The Rams weren't.

1 minute ago, Geneaut said:

You can't discount NE having the #4 scoring Offense in the NFL in 2018. They paired it with the #7 defense in points allowed.

Balance. The Rams weren't.

I'm not discounting that, all I'm saying is that the team in the Super Bowl who does NOT have the best defense or a top 10 scoring defense usually loses against a team that DOES have the top 10 scoring defense or the best defense. The Rams still had the better scoring offense than the Patriots too. A lot of times in Super Bowls the top scoring offense is secondary. It's always the top scoring defense that matters first and foremost. That's my point. I'm not saying you ignore the offense altogether, you must have balance, but what has history has proven is in the world championships and even college football as well, top scoring defense wins first. If Team A had the #1 defense and the #8 offense against Team #B who had the #1 offense and the #8 defense. Team A is more than likely going to win against Team B in the biggest moment. Now in the regular season Team B might beat Team A several times. 

Flying Falcon likes this

41-33, 34-28, 28-24, 34-31, 31-25. That's 5 of the last 9 super bowls where the loser scored at least 24 points. Those are not defensive struggles.

Edited the typo.

Vandy likes this

The super bowl's popularity isn't really about NFL fans. More non-fans are watching and no matter how good or bad the game, they are gonna dislike it just because it isn't their thing. 

5 hours ago, mqg96 said:

I'm not discounting that, all I'm saying is that the team in the Super Bowl who does NOT have the best defense or a top 10 scoring defense usually loses against a team that DOES have the top 10 scoring defense or the best defense. The Rams still had the better scoring offense than the Patriots too. A lot of times in Super Bowls the top scoring offense is secondary. It's always the top scoring defense that matters first and foremost. That's my point. I'm not saying you ignore the offense altogether, you must have balance, but what has history has proven is in the world championships and even college football as well, top scoring defense wins first. If Team A had the #1 defense and the #8 offense against Team #B who had the #1 offense and the #8 defense. Team A is more than likely going to win against Team B in the biggest moment. Now in the regular season Team B might beat Team A several times. 

Neither pats nor rams had a Top 10 defense this season. 

31 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Neither pats nor rams had a Top 10 defense this season. 

The Patriots had the #7 SCORING defense, I'm not talking about total yards. Go look at the tweet I shared. Top 10 scoring defenses still prevail most of the time, and the scoreboards don't matter. 46th out of the last 53 seasons that a team with the top 10 scoring defense (or the better scoring defense of the opponents in the Super Bowl) won the Super Bowl. 

3 hours ago, falconidae said:

44-33, 34-28, 28-24, 34-31, 31-25. That's 5 of the last 9 super bowls where the loser scored at least 24 points. Those are not defensive struggles.

Has nothing to do with my point, irrelevant. Even if the best top 10 scoring offense ends up having a good game against the best top 10 scoring defense, the best top 10 scoring defense still ends up being clutch when it matters most. For example, last year, the Eagles had the better defense (I believe they were ranked 3 or 4 in scoring D) and they stripped sacked Tom Brady towards the end. That's what the best defenses in the Super Bowl end up doing. Eagles still won. Patriots (top 10 scoring D in 2016) still held our offense throughout the 4th quarter when they came back by 25 against us, and so forth. It could be 47-39, 9-3, or 55-10, the best defense on the field is still on the winning side against the best offense on the field no matter how it goes. 

51 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Has nothing to do with my point, irrelevant. Even if the best top 10 scoring offense ends up having a good game against the best top 10 scoring defense, the best top 10 scoring defense still ends up being clutch when it matters most. For example, last year, the Eagles had the better defense (I believe they were ranked 3 or 4 in scoring D) and they stripped sacked Tom Brady towards the end. That's what the best defenses in the Super Bowl end up doing. Eagles still won. Patriots (top 10 scoring D in 2016) still held our offense throughout the 4th quarter when they came back by 25 against us, and so forth. It could be 47-39, 9-3, or 55-10, the best defense on the field is still on the winning side against the best offense on the field no matter how it goes. 

oh, I see, you get to have it both ways, when the score is 13-3, it proves that defense wins championships, when it's 41-33, the winning team allows 33 points but,  the defense  made clutch plays and it's still defense that wins games.

You're trying to claim that a game that had 74 points scored in it somehow proves defense is important.

vitaman likes this

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

oh, I see, you get to have it both ways, when the score is 13-3, it proves that defense wins championships, when it's 41-33, the winning team allows 33 points but,  the defense  made clutch plays and it's still defense that wins games.

You're trying to claim that a game that had 74 points scored in it somehow proves defense is important.

but the Eagles having the #4 scoring defense in 2017 still made them a 13-3 team with the #1 seed in the NFC. Sometimes games are going to go like that, even the biggest ones. There are outliers. The stats say it in the NFL or even college football. The better defense is more important than the better offense in the biggest games. Which is why defense wins championships. This is no coincidence at all. I'm not having it both ways at all. If you had a top 10 scoring defense, you likely had a good defensive coordinator who schemes very well combined with a lot of good play makers who make clutch plays on a consistent basis. Unlike the Falcons mediocre defenses outside of the top 10. All you people are trying to make it seem like historical offenses have beaten historical defenses in championship games very often, sorry, but it's the other way around.

Balance is important, you MUST have balance, and the most balanced teams who executed the best with their given talent end up being in the dance each year, but when the TOP 2 teams from each conference get in that big dance. The team with the top 10 scoring defense, or the BEST scoring defense of the remaining 2, 90% of the time they are Super Bowl champions. The team with the top 10 scoring offense or the BEST scoring offense may win some years but it usually doesn't happen, and when it does, then that team with the better scoring offense probably had the best scoring defense at the same time!