Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
since68andcounting

If I could ask Belichek one question

48 posts in this topic

There's a lot of things you could ask. How do you game plan? What do you do at halftime? But by far I think the most important question to ask is "How do you determine which players to trade or release, and which to keep?"

i hate those mofos. But you can't deny they are the best. If there's one thing Quinn and Dimi could learn it would be how to maintain a roster of players capable of being repeated champions.

Just now, marvinthemartian said:

If I could ask Belichik one question it would be: “When you sold your soul to Beelzebub, how many titles did he promise you?”

Lmfao

1 hour ago, since68andcounting said:

There's a lot of things you could ask. How do you game plan? What do you do at halftime? But by far I think the most important question to ask is "How do you determine which players to trade or release, and which to keep?"

i hate those mofos. But you can't deny they are the best. If there's one thing Quinn and Dimi could learn it would be how to maintain a roster of players capable of being repeated champions.

Did you not see the piece on Belichick before the game today.. He makes all his players remember every players name on the opposing team all the way down to 3rd string replacements.. You may say it's a waste of time or energy, but like Bill said.. You can't beat a opponent you don't know.. Bill is an intelligent man.. 

Xero, Osiruz, Flying Falcon and 5 others like this

6 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Did you not see the piece on Belichick before the game today.. He makes all his players remember every players name on the opposing team all the way down to 3rd string replacements.. You may say it's a waste of time or energy, but like Bill said.. You can't beat a opponent you don't know.. Bill is an intelligent man.. 

Wow never heard that. I'd wager our own players can't name our OWN 3rd string replacements.

2 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

It’s right here in this CNN interview:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/bill-belichick-new-england-patriots-secret-to-success-interview-cnbc-video/amp

“Bill Belichick is the undisputed master. The best coach in the history of the NFL. The evil genius of the league. No where else in sports is there a man so meticulously well-prepared, so flawless in his execution, and so adept in his innovation.

There are so many interesting things to come out of CNBC’s latest interview, but the most fascinating was his repeated prioritization of “dependability” over “talent”.

A selection from the interview:

“There have been times when I’ve put too much responsibility on people. … They might have been the most talented, or the people you hoped would do the right or best thing, and they didn’t come through,” Belichick says.

Big mistake.

When it comes to getting things done, especially critical things, forget the high flyers: “You have to go with the person who you have the most confidence in, the most consistent,” Belichick says. “And if it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work, but I’m going down with that person.”

It’s interesting, because it marks such a departure than the norm in professional sports nowadays, which places such a premium on talent. Indeed, it seems to defy some of Belichik’s own past actions. This is the coach, after all, who signed Randy Moss, and who gave temperamental talents like Chad Johnson and Albert Haynesworth tryouts.

But again, Belichick isn’t saying that talent is bad, or that he doesn’t want ultra-talented players — only a fool would say that. Of course you want to stack your team with as much talent as possible. What he’s saying is that when push comes to shove, if had to choose which quality is more important, he’d choose elite dependability over elite skill.

Suddenly, his gravitation towards unspectacular talents throughout his career makes sense. Guys like LeGarrette Blount, Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman — good-but-not-great talents that are extremely consistent — appeal because they can offer Belichick that baseline level of output he can take to the bank every week.

It’s the same reason why he can squeeze out 10 wins out of a guy like Matt Cassel: He’s looking for cogs in the machine that won’t fail, the same way you would a car, because if he keeps the system running, that’s infinitely harder to beat than any one talent.

2 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

If I could ask Belichik one question it would be: “When you sold your soul to Beelzebub, how many titles did he promise you?”

Exactly.

I would word ot differently "which deity was the sacrafice made to? and to follow up how many first born children were included in the deal"

First, the Pats always have a great offensive line. Always. Second, the great Pats teams are solid in their secondary. Third, they value skill guys that are tough and smart. An overlooked 7th round draft pick like Julian Edelman can become a postseason legend. Only the Pats.

5 minutes ago, tactician said:

First, the Pats always have a great offensive line. Always. Second, the great Pats teams are solid in their secondary. Third, they value skill guys that are tough and smart. An overlooked 7th round draft pick like Julian Edelman can become a postseason legend. Only the Pats.

If Belichick had his pick of Julio at $15,000,000 or Sanu at $7,000,000, he takes Sanu.  

3 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Could you be the Atlanta Falcons head coach? And prove you can win titles without Tom Brady.

That will forever be the unanswered question: Did Brady make Belichick or did Belichick make Brady?

Personally, I think it's Belichick making Brady. Belichick's greatest talent was consistently providing the "supporting cast" that allowed Brady to thrive. The real question is, would any competent quarterback have become a "Tom Brady" under Belichick? I think so. 

5 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

Dimi called Billy Check in April of 2011 and asked just one question. Would you trade two firsts, a second and two fourths to move up and draft a shiny hood ornament? Billy said hail no are you kidding me? Dimi hung up the phone and traded up. Since then?

• Billy - 99-29, 8 division championships, 5 conference championships and 3 Lombardies
  • Dimi - 69-59, 2 division championships, 1 conference championship and 0 Lombardies

Troffed.

WornOutFalconFan and BLM like this

3 hours ago, Falcon Freddie said:

That will forever be the unanswered question: Did Brady make Belichick or did Belichick make Brady?

Personally, I think it's Belichick making Brady. Belichick's greatest talent was consistently providing the "supporting cast" that allowed Brady to thrive. The real question is, would any competent quarterback have become a "Tom Brady" under Belichick? I think so. 

Agreed

8 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

I don't hate them. I used to, but not anymore. What they've accomplished, in a NFL built for parity, should be respected. 

While we blaming injuries, or whatever else, they readjust and keep winning. 

When we blame a Superbowl hangover, they go back the next year... And win. 

I'm not gonna hate them for being everything were not, and would love to be.

FalconinPA and Max like this