MSalmon

Mock Draft 1.5 or Alternate draft thinking process

115 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

That's fine until you meet a team like NE and only score 21 points. They ran on us. They ran over the Rams last night.

Exactly. I don’t buy this all high octane and no run stopping defense. Teams like NE exploit this in playoffs and SB. I’d like to see a more rugged rb added to so we can start running over them as well 

FalconFanSince1970 and Vandy like this

5 hours ago, Summerhill said:

Thoughts: 

1. I don't think the Falcons sign two premium or near-premium level free agents, ie no McCoy to go along with an OL. 
  2. I don't love the idea of a LB in the 1st round but sometimes that's the way the draft breaks for you. If Devin White is a 7-time Pro Bowler, you pick him. 
  3. I have not specifically scouted Pierschbacher, but I'm not ruling out he's just a product of the system. I'd rather take a chance on a lineman with more upside. 

Logical thoughts. I like Ross. 

White to me is a BPA at a position you can upgrade and make an impact. 

FA will be interesting 

Vandy likes this

22 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

I wouldn’t mind trading down this year. It’s not a great draft but it’s a good draft to add a few pieces. A guy like Jacobs provides explosion to an already high octane offense and dropping down let’s you get a guy like that and still go needs based. I keep seeing the success the pats had with Sony and just wonder how we’d be with a healthy Free, Ito (James white role) and Jacobs.

we could still get a nice edge, DT and 2 OL

I think what we have to realize is that this draft is missing a lot of elite or even good day 2 or 3 picks from certain positions.  This is going to force some of the guys who in another draft may be a 3rd or 4th round talent into 2nd and 3rd round guys.  I think we could still come out ok but the popular guys like Jacobs, C. Lindstrom, J. Taylor, J. Ferguson are likely gone in between picks.

I dont know if you invest that high in a RB if you a healthy Freeman, Ito and a servicable B. Hill.  I would love to have the type of back Jacobs is.  **** I still believe we could use a downhill bruiser to spell Freeman as opposed to a guy in Ito who does what he does except being a lil smaller and slower.

Good logic though as thats a lot of strikes you can take with 10-11 picks.

On 2/3/2019 at 9:51 AM, jfalconsp said:

My current favorite alternate route so far in all the draft scenarios I play out goes:

1 - EDGE

2 - OG/OT

3 - OG

4 - DT

4 - LB/CB/RB

5 - LB/CB/RB

5 - LB/CB/RB

6 - BPA

7 - BPA

I can't imagine is waiting until the 4th to take a CB, especially with this staff/FO.

12 minutes ago, Stryka said:

I think what we have to realize is that this draft is missing a lot of elite or even good day 2 or 3 picks from certain positions.  This is going to force some of the guys who in another draft may be a 3rd or 4th round talent into 2nd and 3rd round guys.  I think we could still come out ok but the popular guys like Jacobs, C. Lindstrom, J. Taylor, J. Ferguson are likely gone in between picks.

I dont know if you invest that high in a RB if you a healthy Freeman, Ito and a servicable B. Hill.  I would love to have the type of back Jacobs is.  **** I still believe we could use a downhill bruiser to spell Freeman as opposed to a guy in Ito who does what he does except being a lil smaller and slower.

Good logic though as thats a lot of strikes you can take with 10-11 picks.

I think that you're spot on. I think investing in a rb isn't a bad thing, but he could also be over-valued in this particular draft, so you better like him if you draft him.

I'm almost either you trade down or you trade up. Both strategies have merit. Trade up, you go for an Allen, Bosa or Williams--a bonafide stud. Trade down and you may get lesser players, but they could have value.

On 2/3/2019 at 10:17 AM, MSalmon said:

Ok. Thanks for stopping by

Do you think Campbell will benefit by transitioning to defensive end mi personally think he is a solid linebacker but is sometimes always a tad bit slow to diagnose plays and instincts in coverage isn't as improved as i thought it would be by now. But then again, this is coming from an arm chair analyst. I like his rush ability and seems to have the disposition to set the edge better than Beasley. 

What do you think? 

8 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

That's fine until you meet a team like NE and only score 21 points. They ran on us. They ran over the Rams last night.

Sometime the other team is better than you...but to think Lawrence solves what happened to the Rams last night, well...Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh would like a word.

Nice job. . I think we would do pretty well if we had a similiar offseason.

I think will make a splash or 2 in FA....i think we sign a tackle or guard to a deal that will be bigger than some people think that we can afford

MSalmon and Vandy like this

Leta be real.  The only reason that the rams got ran on was the fact they were on the field all game....the pats got nothing on the ground until the 4th quarter when the rams defense was spent

Bigbenright likes this

1 hour ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Sometime the other team is better than you...but to think Lawrence solves what happened to the Rams last night, well...Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh would like a word.

3 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Leta be real.  The only reason that the rams got ran on was the fact they were on the field all game....the pats got nothing on the ground until the 4th quarter when the rams defense was spent

Lawrence would probably do better than Suh and Donald. They got run over last night and throughout the regular season (23rd in rush yards allowed and 32nd in rush yards per carry allowed).

10 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Lawrence would probably do better than Suh and Donald. They got run over last night and throughout the regular season (23rd in rush yards allowed and 32nd in rush yards per carry allowed).

And yet they were in the Super Bowl and if they scored 2 TD’s...

4 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

And yet they were in the Super Bowl and if they scored 2 TD’s...

Their high power offense got shut down by a good defense. And they got run over. Just like we did.

20 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Their high power offense got shut down by a good defense. And they got run over. Just like we did.

And yet they held Kamara, Ingram, Zeke to 98 yards on 43 carries.  Wasn’t like they hadn’t been doing it.  They lost SB cause Goff/McVay didn’t get it done.  Previous two games, they did.

On 2/3/2019 at 1:02 PM, g-dawg said:

Marpet will get big money.  McCoy will get pretty good money.  There are so many NFL teams with bookoo’s if cap space.  We probably can get no name guys like Fusco and overpay like we did last year.   We are going to re-sign Beasley by reports? Grady Jarrett is gonna break the bank.  We are gonna pay Julio more.  Deion Jones gets paid in 2020.  We may pay Campbell.

PThis is not the Falcons of 2008-2015 when we can take top market guys in free agency.

Winner Winner!!! 

No way should we draft a linebacker in the 1st round.  As our team stands now, we should go oline or dline heavy with possibly a corner mixed in.  However I think the emergence of Kazee will help out a lot.  I think you got to have him on the field too.