MSalmon

Mock Draft 1.5 or Alternate draft thinking process

115 posts in this topic

Im not sure how realistic this draft I, but I figure it’d be an interesting way to look at different mock scenarios.

I’m all over Devin White. I know we use the Seahawks a bunch as a comparison, but I could see Debo and Devin being that Wagner and Wright type of backers. In this case White could easily be BPA and of course I’m re-signing Vic and Irvin at Edge 

Simple Free Agency

So what if in FA we signed Marpet for G, or Got a Trent Bown or Donavan Smith as RT and used draft for G. 

And our big FA signing is Gerald McCoy. I keep coming to him as he’s such a great scheme fit.

at #14 we draft Devin White 6’1” 240, 4.5 forty projected

-he’s like Debo, he can play will or inside. Also if Debo gets hurt easy to slide Devin inside. Campbell is either gone next year or re-signed cheap. Not to mention you need 4 or 5 solid LBs to rotate. He’s stout and fast. I don’t see the Duke Riley red flags. Some may question his coverage, but I don’t see that as being bad. Has blitz abilities. Campbell, in my opinion, is a rotation and STs guy. Foye has been a surprise and can work in reps. But Debo and Devin makes my heart skip a bit. That’s power and speed in the middle. This covers up for that sorry excuse of rico Allen that we seem cursed with until Kazee finally takes his crown. 

I keep thinking of the idea of two LBs that can laterally cover the field as being a dominant corps. Throw in the athletic but not superstar talents of Foye and Campbell and that’s a pretty dam good LB corps. Possibly elite

rd 2 Dexter Lawrence, DT. Or we trade back into the first round to grab him

6’4” 340.. This is a mountain of a man

-Big old dude. Is he Poe like? Not sure, but he’s a Sam Adams type from the old ravens. **** require double teams. And we know that when hage had his s hi t together he was effective. I’m still not positive we go this high on DT, but this kid is kinda Poe like. I bet he plays around 330 which will improve his already formidable athleticism 

Rd 3 Benny Snell, rb Kentucky. 5’10” 225 

-big, powerful stud rb. Nasty and will force defenses to respect the run, and he is violent. He’ll get knocked because of lack of elite top speed. But he’s a north south one cut runner with nice burst, vision, balance and is just nasty. He’s a battering ram that will fit nicely with Ito and Free. Sorry, draftnut, but Hill isn’t that good

Rd 4  Ross Pierschbacher, G/C Alabama  6’4” 310

- the reasoning for this pick is two-fold. He can be inserted into Guard mix off the bat. But he could also be the center of the future. He’s a plus run blocker,. Nice squatty guy until he springs up and used that 6’4” frame and sneaky athleticism. If we go Marpet or Saffold in FA both Gs shored up. If we go RT, because Schraeder is done, we still did a good job. Long term I see him as an all pro type center

Rd 5 Porter Gustin Edge/OLB USC 

-6’5” 265 and a body of a Greek god. This is a bit of a risk as he’s had durability issues, but when healthy he’s a catalyst. Physical against TEs and holds the edge well. Takes to coaching and is a high effort player. We’ve gambled and won on many 5th round picks. He has Leighton Vanderbilt Esch type qualities, but he is an injury risk

Rd 5 Joejuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt

-6’3” 207 pound cb. If you’re trying to find Richard Sherman in the draft, this kid might be closest to him. He’s physical, good on press coverage and best fit is in a zone defense. He has tons of smarts, great length, but not a burner, but the. Again Sherman wasn’t and isn’t a burner either. He locked down the WR AJ brown, so interesting kid that won’t fit all schemes could be had in this fifth round area

Rd 6 Emanuel Hall WR Mizzou, 6’1” 196

-blazing fast deep threat, averaged over 25 ypr. Has concentration lapses and rumors of motivation issues. That said we have a deep and vet WR corps. Putting him in practice and locker room with JJ, Sanu and Ridley night set him right. His ability to stretch fields is worth the gamble. Could kick return as well

Rd 7 Trevon Wesco, West Virginia 6’3”270

-I like college TEs willing to play at FB. This is big, rugged kid who can catch but I think he’s a FB. Gives you H-Back capability. With Snell he’s a powerful blocker who can inflict punishment and be an outlet for Matt. He’s a nasty rascal. 

I believe you can find better value at linebacker in other rounds like Germaine Pratt, Terrill Hanks, and Vosean Joseph.

Not saying White can’t cover but LSU did not utilize him that way. He was more of a blitzer.

vel, Smiler11, g-dawg and 1 other like this

4 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

This .. 

13 minutes ago, tywreezy33 said:

Stopped reading after you said Campbell is a rotational and STs guy.

It will never cease to amaze me how you all fall in love with an average player

3 minutes ago, Cole World said:

I believe you can find better value at linebacker in other rounds like Germaine Pratt, Terrill Hanks, and Vosean Joseph.

Not saying White can’t cover but LSU did not utilize him that way. He was more of a blitzer.

Agree. The combine and workouts will be key for White. He oooked pretty good when I’ve seen him cover but he did blitz a lot. He’s stout and fast though. I’m not sure what LSU feeds their LBs but good god!

Cole World likes this

Devin White beside Jones would be a nasty LB duo. And I know we need to build the trenches but if we could somehow fill the holes on Oline in FA, I'd be all for White in the first and a DT in the 2nd (or like you said, trade back up into the first).

JJC28, KCFalcon22 and tonatl07 like this

Just now, MSalmon said:

It will never cease to amaze me how you all fall in love with an average player

You come to this conclusion on Campbell but don’t see the red flags with Duke . That my friends is amazing . 

3 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

You come to this conclusion on Campbell but don’t see the red flags with Duke . That my friends is amazing . 

Not true. In no way have I stated that a Duke is anything beyond a backup or STs. In fact, his lack of progression and Campbell coming up for contract and his ceiling reached is kne reason White as a pick could be justified.

if you’d read it, you’d saw that lol

tonatl07 and Embrace the suck like this

5 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

Devin White beside Jones would be a nasty LB duo. And I know we need to build the trenches but if we could somehow fill the holes on Oline in FA, I'd be all for White in the first and a DT in the 2nd (or like you said, trade back up into the first).

Yeah, that’s why I had to plug him in. Put those two behind Lawrence ? Forget about it! 

SpongeDad and Jerz #Quinning like this

I think one major misconception of what the Falcons need to be successful is an ability to stop the run.

Even during our incredible second half run in 2016, we were giving up 4.7-4.8 YPC.  But what we were doing thru our offense was eliminating the opposing run game as an option.  So we stopped the run, differently.

Geneaut and Smiler11 like this

Just now, TheDirtyWordII said:

I think one major misconception of what the Falcons need to be successful is an ability to stop the run.

Even during our incredible second half run in 2016, we were giving up 4.7-4.8 YPC.  But what we were doing thru our offense was eliminating the opposing run game as an option.  So we stopped the run, differently.

I’m a bit lost?

2 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

I’m a bit lost?

You have Lawrence as a target.  His value prop is run stopper.  If the Falcons ‘click’ on offense...they can score 30/game.  That reduces the ability of our opponent to use the run game as a way to control game pace & tempo.  Which means Lawrence, who most are profiling as a two-down run stopper would really add that much value.

I like this draft and FA...I’ve been saying for awhile I’d love to take Jachai Polite and move back into the first for someone like Lawrence if they slip to say mid 20’s.

MSalmon likes this

I’d feel more comfortable if we went offensive line in round 3 in this scenario and also more than once in the draft. The thought of Jones and White together is a fun one, I just think we have too many needs in other positions to have the luxury of going LB in the first round. We are good with Jones, Campbell and Foye and really only need a mid-round guy or depth in FA.

3 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

You have Lawrence as a target.  His value prop is run stopper.  If the Falcons ‘click’ on offense...they can score 30/game.  That reduces the ability of our opponent to use the run game as a way to control game pace & tempo.  Which means Lawrence, who most are profiling as a two-down run stopper would really add that much value.

Oh, I get it. Duh! I agree. I don’t get the Oliver love. Jarrett and Crawford both provide nice interior rush. Get a big boy and let’s say we did add the formidable run stopper in White, that takes a lot of pressure off secondary 

Embrace the suck likes this

4 minutes ago, jfalconsp said:

I’d feel more comfortable if we went offensive line in round 3 in this scenario and also more than once in the draft. The thought of Jones and White together is a fun one, I just think we have too many needs in other positions to have the luxury of going LB in the first round. We are good with Jones, Campbell and Foye and really only need a mid-round guy or depth in FA.

That could’ve true. Like I said I’m playing with this mock. #14 us a good but open spot for adding talent. I’m just not as sold on this OL in first round tbh

id Love Ferguson as well as the pick.

but us Whute a luxury or an added capability? We rotate LBs a lot. Riley is STs, Foye is ok, but he’s nit a thumper nor a coverage ace. He’s a good rotation piece. Campbell? Decent but mire rotatoon piece as well 

My current favorite alternate route so far in all the draft scenarios I play out goes:

1 - EDGE

2 - OG/OT

3 - OG

4 - DT

4 - LB/CB/RB

5 - LB/CB/RB

5 - LB/CB/RB

6 - BPA

7 - BPA

Williams is a highly touted CB, he could very well be taken in the 2nd round. I like White, would push Campbell to play SLB and could have Vic rotate with Takk more at LEO. But Campbell is not a STs player bro. He’s a stud that struggled this year because he had ZERO help. And Duke Riley is absolute trash, not sure what you’ve been looking at, at all. Head scratcher there. 

7 minutes ago, KCFalcon22 said:

I like this draft and FA...I’ve been saying for awhile I’d love to take Jachai Polite and move back into the first for someone like Lawrence if they slip to say mid 20’s.

Thanks, man! I like Polite as well if we went edgeEdge

KCFalcon22 likes this

Just now, Falcanuck said:

Williams is a highly touted CB, he could very well be taken in the 2nd round. I like White, would push Campbell to play SLB and could have Vic rotate with Takk more at LEO. But Campbell is not a STs player bro. He’s a stud that struggled this year because he had ZERO help. 

I hope that you’re right. I’m not anti-Campbell and all our backers get snaps

williams is interesting. That forty yddash might push him into later rounds ala Desmond king. He’s a great fit for us though 

Just now, g-dawg said:

Where is the money coming from to sign all those free agents?

uggh

Only two. Not one OL and McCoy. Not all the guys listed lol