Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

February 2019 Recruiting Thread

299 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Are you EVER happy with anything? 

other than disagreeing w/ people ripping on YKW (he who shall not be named),  what exactly do you think I am unhappy about?  Love the class.   Loved the Pickens/Seither signings.   Don't mind Wolf but just not crazy about it taking away a spot from 2020 when we could have a smaller class - that's all.

Basically Wolf will have one year of eligibility - 2019 - but he will take a spot in 2020 class towards counting scholarship.   Not a huge deal I suppose.  If Wolf makes the handful of plays needed to be the difference in some close games and contributes towards CFP and Natty- then well worth it.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-uga-eli-wolf-tennessee-transfer-kirby

Eli Wolf to UGA.  His scholarship will count towards 2020 class - uggh

what is wrong?  we need another TE and I wouldn't be surprised if we take cager as well as a grad transfer.  We are trying to win a title in 2019 and we can't go into the season where we play up to 5 TEs and have 2 true freshman who have never played a down in college.. Eli wolf is a great pickup for us. 

50 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

other than disagreeing w/ people ripping on YKW (he who shall not be named),  what exactly do you think I am unhappy about?  Love the class.   Loved the Pickens/Seither signings.   Don't mind Wolf but just not crazy about it taking away a spot from 2020 when we could have a smaller class - that's all.

Basically Wolf will have one year of eligibility - 2019 - but he will take a spot in 2020 class towards counting scholarship.   Not a huge deal I suppose.  If Wolf makes the handful of plays needed to be the difference in some close games and contributes towards CFP and Natty- then well worth it.

You need to get used to the grad transfer thing because t's going to happen just about every year to fill out depth. Someone will need to correct me if I'm wrong here but he'll only count against the 25 man for next class and the 85 for only one semester. With only 14 seniors we weren't going to have a 25 man class to begin with. Yes we'll lose a few guys early again but 25 was never happening for 2020. 

g-dawg likes this

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

2020 will not be a full class anyways just from a staying under 85 standpoint (barring a lot of unexpected attrition). That's actually the upside to the Wolf pickup. I am more questionable on Seither signing than Wolf... At least Wolf is gone after this year. Seither is unlikely to contribute significantly as a freshman TE, so we're waiting until 2020 to see if he can even be a player for us barring injuries.

I'm not sold on Wolf by any means, particularly given his lack of production at UT (a place which clearly is hurting for talent), but if he can come in and be an effective blocker and occasionally catch a pass, he fills a need until someone else is ready.

Just now, fibonaccisquared said:

2020 will not be a full class anyways just from a staying under 85 standpoint (barring a lot of unexpected attrition). That's actually the upside to the Wolf pickup. I am more questionable on Seither signing than Wolf... At least Wolf is gone after this year. Seither is unlikely to contribute significantly as a freshman TE, so we're waiting until 2020 to see if he can even be a player for us barring injuries.

I'm not sold on Wolf by any means, particularly given his lack of production at UT (a place which clearly is hurting for talent), but if he can come in and be an effective blocker and occasionally catch a pass, he fills a need until someone else is ready.

have you even watched Seither's highlights yet?  He is quick as a cat.

As to Wolf, we are borrowing a spot in a future small class for now - thus making next year's class even smaller.   Feels like an "all in for 2019" strategy to me.    I realize w/ Woerner, Fitzpatrick, Goede and Seither that puts us w/ only one TE with experience - so maybe this was necessary.   I bet if Kirby was candid, he probably would say the loss of Nauta to NFL (coupled w/ Ford leaving) was the most devastating of all the NFL defections.

Wolf just looks like one of those players that could not get on the field much like the DT transfer from Notre Dame last year.   If we are robbing a spot from next year - I hope he has a big role in the offense. 

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

have you even watched Seither's highlights yet?  He is quick as a cat.

As to Wolf, we are borrowing a spot in a future small class for now - thus making next year's class even smaller.   Feels like an "all in for 2019" strategy to me.    I realize w/ Woerner, Fitzpatrick, Goede and Seither that puts us w/ only one TE with experience - so maybe this was necessary.   I bet if Kirby was candid, he probably would say the loss of Nauta to NFL (coupled w/ Ford leaving) was the most devastating of all the NFL defections.

Wolf just looks like one of those players that could not get on the field much like the DT transfer from Notre Dame last year.   If we are robbing a spot from next year - I hope he has a big role in the offense. 

Yes, I've seen them. Yes his Sr film looks better than his Jr film. He also is not playing TE in 90% of them. He's playing outside receiver against smaller dudes. I think he has value, don't get me wrong... Just don't think he's going to be impactful early... hopefully as I've said elsewhere I'm wrong.

The borrowing thing doesn't work like that. If 2020 was only going to be 22 guys let's say. Borrowing from that class isn't reducing the 22... it's reducing the 25 guys that we could "theoretically" take. At worst, it prevents us from back-counting an EE in the 2021 class back into that class... but so long as we don't have big attrition problems, having space for 1-2 of these grad transfers each year is not only hugely valuable, but likely to become the norm for most better programs. Fill immediate needs with transfers who are unhappy with their current role/team (and/or are chasing a shot at a conference championship or a spot in the playoffs.

Wolf very much looks like a guy who was on the field a lot but they didn't get him the ball. Frankly, we don't need him to catch much. We need him to be a receiving threat and a good blocker. If Kirby thinks he can be that, he's easily worth it and he's not a long term liability. In an absolutely ideal world, Seither comes in, lights up the world, and keeps Wolf off of the field... but examining likelihoods and probabilities, Wolf gives you a mature, capable blocker with one year to prove something...

g-dawg likes this

Posted this in the basketball thread but noteworthy enough to share here.

Anthony Edwards - #1 overall basketball recruit (by 247 - #2 composite) who reclassified for the current class has now canceled his OV to FSU this weekend and is expected to be making his commitment on Monday. All signs currently would point to the Dawgs as the leading candidate for his commitment. I wasn't going to hold my breath, but I'm now considering it.

Carry on.

Edited by fibonaccisquared

We should sign probably 22-23 in 2020. With the grad transfers (Wolf and likely Cager) added, we will lose I think 16 seniors. Beyond seniors, we haven’t had attrition of less than 8 players a single year this century. We will sign as many as we possibly can, which I believe will be 22-23 with Wolf and Cager counted against our 2020 numbers.

2 hours ago, Wardog357 said:

So was dad upset he didn't pick UGA?

no one knows.  could just be happy for his son and overcome w/ emotion - that was these guys interpretation of the crying.

Now this team is done and ready to go kick some butt.  We going to do it in 2019.. Heck yeah!!!  

Between Cager and Pickens Fromm can just throw it up at the goalpost and these guys will catch it - good Lord these 6’5” bookends have amazing catch radius!

I am soo happy we added Gager.  We lost 5 wrs and have simmons and holloman returning who have done anything.  We need some more experience and Gager will give us that and I really think Hankton can coach him up.  

1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

I am soo happy we added Gager.  We lost 5 wrs and have simmons and holloman returning who have done anything.  We need some more experience and Gager will give us that and I really think Hankton can coach him up.  

Really think Holloman is going to have a breakout season if we toss the rock a little more. Guy has worked hard to get better and has flashed some real potential at times. Probably will be our #1 WR in 2019 unless DRob shows up. Holloman plays very very hard though and he’s very physical against DBs. Simmons is a heck of an athlete but I’m not sure he has really separated himself at all.

Cager has a reputation for dropping the ball but he is a very big target with potential so hopefully Hankton can get him right. He could fill in that role Wims provided for Fromm as a big WR who will go up and get the ball. Dude has a huge catch radius, just needs to be more consistent with hauling them in.

Still, it’s hard to envision Cager coming in and having a better season than Holloman in particular imo. He could become a very solid 3rd down weapon and red zone target though. Miami fans didn’t hate to see him leave so I’m really tempering my expectations. We needed the experience and depth of course - and his size is definitely a great thing. If he can convert some 3rd downs and snag a handful of touchdowns at least then I think he would be a tremendous addition. If DRob can establish himself as a deep threat our offense will be crazy good.

I think Holloman is going to have a great year as well. And hoping DRob can step up. If we can get big production from those two and Blalock I think we’ll have something special. Whoever steps up to compliment Swift will be huge as well.

Carter likes this

The best thing about these new additions is that competition just went from fierce to WHITE HOT.

The cream will rise, baby!

Carter likes this