datchrisb1

Jeffrey Simmons film study

36 posts in this topic

Don't really follow Voch like that but he pointed out some things I've thought for a while now. Simmons is a powerful dude, great player, would love him here. As far as how he fits, I really think they want Grady at 3 primarily and bring in someone to play over the center primarily. Attempted that with Poe coming here. Have Grady at 1 situationally not primarily or in rotation. Gray is best playing on the edge of guys. Simmons wouldn't afford us that. I don't see the best position for him is directly over center just like Grady. Simmons is a 3 primarily, 1 situationally like Grady is. Just sharing my opinion. Simmons is a great player, and is one of the best inside guy coming out. I've always struggled with how he would fit with what we already have here and I got tired of teams playing bully downhill football controlling the LOS because Grady isn't a take 2, control the center type of guy play in play out.

Osiruz likes this

I think Grady is the perfect DT for what DQ wants to run. Equally good at either the 1 or 3 tech spots. Even with Poe here Grady still lined up at the 1 tech spot multiple times a game. If I had to guess, I think we'll be looking for more of the same. Unless they think Senat is that guy, in which case we might look for a strongside end who slide inside in nickel. 

Even the 1 tech in this defense is predominately a 1 gap guy. We're not asking him to be a 2-gap guy like a 0 tech in a 3-4.

2 hours ago, Cole World said:

Obviously you don’t know Simmons than.

Dude was Mississippi State NT.

Never said he wasn't Mississippi State's NT. Not talking about that.

20 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

I think Grady is the perfect DT for what DQ wants to run. Equally good at either the 1 or 3 tech spots. Even with Poe here Grady still lined up at the 1 tech spot multiple times a game. If I had to guess, I think we'll be looking for more of the same. Unless they think Senat is that guy, in which case we might look for a strongside end who slide inside in nickel. 

Even the 1 tech in this defense is predominately a 1 gap guy. We're not asking him to be a 2-gap guy like a 0 tech in a 3-4.

This all depends on whether you want the best Grady. He's not at his best ANYWHERE, Aaron Donald is at his best anywhere. He doesn't play 1 and 3 equally. You can line Donald up at either 1 or 3 and get the same Donald, Grady is not that player. It is a vast difference in what you have on run downs in him at 3 than you do with him at 1. Big difference.

Grady doesn't play over center just as good as when he's at under. He's not equally good at both areas. And it depends on the opponent and situation to whether he should be at 1 or 3. That's the main reason teams like Baltimore, Eagles, Steelers, Titans, Jags, etc... come in here and are able to control the line of scrimmage the way they can. 

Grady is great at 3 regardless of who we play. At 1, over the center, depends on the match up, the scheme, the OC. You can plug Grady at 3 and leave him there. Don't even have to worry about down and distance. You can't do that with him at 1. Him and Poe interchanged according to the match up and scheme of the offense. They didn't just do that out of no where. I'm sorry fellas, you can't just leave Grady at 1 all game against the Steelers and expect the best Grady. Broncos, Giants, okay but Grady best is 3 technique. 

Osiruz likes this

2 hours ago, Cole World said:

Obviously you don’t know Simmons than.

Dude was Mississippi State NT.

I put the analysis up here because this dude is saying and specifically pointing out what I've been thinking. Literally. And I don't have a YouTube channel like that or anything. Simmons played everywhere on there line. Not discrediting him, would love to have him here, I just agree with what he's saying. 

Technically the 1 wouldn't be lined up over the center, he'd be in the A gap. Grady plays that role just fine.

Here's a quote from the man himself...

"This year, I've been [playing at] nose a lot heavier kind of because of the personnel that we've got," Jarrett explained. "But I play both well. And when I'm at both, I want to be the best that I can be.

"At nose, you're going to get a lot more doubles and you might have to be a lot more stout in the run game. Three tech, you have a lot more pass-rush options and also opportunities to make plays in the backfield. But they come at nose, too. So they kind of just come how they go. I've gotten sacks from the nose. I've gotten sacks from the three-technique. I got tackles for loss from the nose. I got tackles for loss from the three-technique."

datchrisb1 likes this

24 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

Technically the 1 wouldn't be lined up over the center, he'd be in the A gap. Grady plays that role just fine.

Here's a quote from the man himself...

"This year, I've been [playing at] nose a lot heavier kind of because of the personnel that we've got," Jarrett explained. "But I play both well. And when I'm at both, I want to be the best that I can be.

"At nose, you're going to get a lot more doubles and you might have to be a lot more stout in the run game. Three tech, you have a lot more pass-rush options and also opportunities to make plays in the backfield. But they come at nose, too. So they kind of just come how they go. I've gotten sacks from the nose. I've gotten sacks from the three-technique. I got tackles for loss from the nose. I got tackles for loss from the three-technique."

Your right! Grady does play that role just fine. And 1 isn't directly over the center. Not talking about him playing just fine, not talking about terminology. Certain situations 1 is not his best, regardless of the situation 3 is. At his best he's up the field being disruptive, not playing 1, focused on control first and taking on MORE double teams. Talking about at his best.

Edited by datchrisb1

Fellas Grady is the best player we have up front! Not knocking him, everybody has limitations, everyone has advantages. Just focused on that fellas. I want him at his best. Can he play 1 and 3? Yes he can! Can he play 1 technique every single down, regardless of down and distance, regardless of offensive scheme and personnel AND THAT BE HIS BEST POSITION? NO!!!!!!! His best position is 3 technique regardless of down and distance, or offensive scheme. Can he play 1 technique? Yes, is it the best position for him? No.

Edited by datchrisb1

This is why I'd trade back and draft Dexter Lawrence instead. We need the ability to stop the run. Having Poe afforded us a big body who could line up at the 1 or 0, and stand up to double teams easily. That was missed last year. Lawrence is the guy.

2 hours ago, djbrough said:

This is why I'd trade back and draft Dexter Lawrence instead. We need the ability to stop the run. Having Poe afforded us a big body who could line up at the 1 or 0, and stand up to double teams easily. That was missed last year. Lawrence is the guy.

I'm not sure what the infatuation is with Lawrence but Lawrence gets stood up against 1on1's himself.

Lawrence to me is 2nd round material.

ike barn87987 and Smiler11 like this

1 hour ago, Cole World said:

I'm not sure what the infatuation is with Lawrence but Lawrence gets stood up against 1on1's himself.

Lawrence to me is 2nd round material.

As high as that?

ike barn87987 and Cole World like this

I don’t understand the size bit.

Because a guys big he’s automatically attracting double teams or is stout against the run

If the guy can’t disrupt why would an opposition bother to double him.It makes zero sense.

You double the guy that’s the most dangerous and here in lies why we want another terror like Jarrett inside who can do both size be ****ed.

3 hours ago, Cole World said:

He could go late 1st but I have a 2nd round grade on him.

I was kind of joking, but I agree I see nothing special. I wouldn't be surprised if he fell further.

Cole World likes this

On 2/8/2019 at 9:51 AM, djbrough said:

Uggh,  NTs that don’t have NFL level passrush abilities just aren’t that valuable.   There are plenty of DTs that are adept at both.  Jeffrey Simmons is one of those guys.  If Simmons passes the background check and Jonah Williams doesn’t make it to #14, I would be thrilled with Simmons.

Watching the tape and listening to Voch he says Simmons is a “3-Tech but can hold his ground vs double team” - man, that’s all you can ask for.   I would rather have that than a 1-Tech or 0-Tech that specializes in run and is liability in passrush or chase plays.

Also like where Voch showed Simmons almost always keeps his eyes on the ball and is situationally aware.

Simmons also tall and good at knocking balls down at LOS.

If Simmons passes the background check and Jonah Williams doesn’t make it to #14, I would be thrilled with Simmons.

I agree with you, g-dawg.  

I am focussed on the OL.  We consistently have lost games due to our OL.......for years.  It is time to invest.

But, if our top OL prospects are off the board by the #14, I would not hesitate to draft Simmons.  Having Simmons and Jarrett next to each other could radically improve our defense.  

You know, there is a reasonable chance that our top OL prospects could get drafted ahead of #14.  There is no better reason to secure the OL with at least one FA signing.   

On 2/9/2019 at 10:07 AM, Dutty Ole Bird said:

I prefer oliver. GJ can bulk up and play the one and have Oliver at 3 tech.

No you don’t because he may not be the same player at 315 than he is at 300-305.Last thing you want to do is effect Jarretts explosiveness.Leave Jarrett alone he’s fine playing at the weight he’s playing.

Knight of God likes this

6 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

No you don’t because he may not be the same player at 315 than he is at 300-305.Last thing you want to do is effect Jarretts explosiveness.Leave Jarrett alone he’s fine playing at the weight he’s playing.

Common sense 

kiwifalcon likes this

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Simmons hurt right now? I haven’t seen or heard any updates.

7 hours ago, Abeasley27 said:

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Simmons hurt right now? I haven’t seen or heard any updates.

Yep injured ACL I think he’ll be picked and stashed on someone roster.

PUP much like the LBer Jaylon ? Who went to the Cowboys.

8 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Yep injured ACL I think he’ll be picked and stashed on someone roster.

PUP much like the LBer Jaylon ? Who went to the Cowboys.

I don’t see DQ really wanting a guy he can stash, even though he’s a great player, the birds are in win now mode and need impact day 1 starters at a couple positions

7 minutes ago, Abeasley27 said:

I don’t see DQ really wanting a guy he can stash, even though he’s a great player, the birds are in win now mode and need impact day 1 starters at a couple positions

The only caveat to his is what if he’s a day 2 or 3 pick would he be worth a roll of the dice to stash him and see if he can still make an impact next year.