Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jayu70

Hawks February Game Thread

215 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jayu70 said:

In 42 games this season:

8 games with 1-5 rebounds (3 of those games with minutes restrictions coming off injury and the game last night).

11 games with 6-9 rebounds

23 games with 10+ rebounds.

Seems like those 8 games have been recent and also 5 is way more than 1-2 

1 hour ago, TRUju2111 said:

Seems like those 8 games have been recent and also 5 is way more than 1-2 

He's had 2 games all season of 2 or less rebounds:

1st game of the season - 2 rebounds

Last night's game - 1 rebound.

Last 8 games: 4, 16, 11, 12, 5, 4, 8, 1

5 hours ago, jayu70 said:

He's had 2 games all season of 2 or less rebounds:

1st game of the season - 2 rebounds

Last night's game - 1 rebound.

Last 8 games: 4, 16, 11, 12, 5, 4, 8, 1

So ya he hasn't been playing big lately

1 hour ago, TRUju2111 said:

So ya he hasn't been playing big lately

He's averaging 9.5 boards a game on the season. It's down to 7.6 this month, but that's not horrible by any means. 

A 2nd year player averaging 19.1 PPG and 9.5 RPG while shooting 57.4/35.9/74.9 isn't bad at all. In a few years, he could be a threat to put up 25 and 10 a game. I don't think that's outlandish at all. 

Considering we have a PG who could be a 20 points/10 assists guy a year, I think we are honestly in pretty good shape for the future. 

2 hours ago, tl;dr said:

He's averaging 9.5 boards a game on the season. It's down to 7.6 this month, but that's not horrible by any means. 

A 2nd year player averaging 19.1 PPG and 9.5 RPG while shooting 57.4/35.9/74.9 isn't bad at all. In a few years, he could be a threat to put up 25 and 10 a game. I don't think that's outlandish at all. 

Considering we have a PG who could be a 20 points/10 assists guy a year, I think we are honestly in pretty good shape for the future. 

I know what he's capable of which is why I don't understand how he could've have a game where he only has 1 reb

15 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Agreed JC is in his second year and he’s getting better but some people expect perfection already! :shrug:

14 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

I know what he's capable of which is why I don't understand how he could've have a game where he only has 1 reb

Did you watch the game? 

He's allowed an off night....sometimes it just happens, the entire team.was i a malaise.

2 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Agreed JC is in his second year and he’s getting better but some people expect perfection already! :shrug:

Sometimes I like to scroll through some posters' posts.. Just to see if it is indeed possible for them to post something positive.. or if they choose to see the glass half empty all the time..

It's a mind frame thing..

;)

blkbigdog35 likes this

11 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Sometimes I like to scroll through some posters' posts.. Just to see if it is indeed possible for them to post something positive.. or if they choose to see the glass half empty all the time..

It's a mind frame thing..

;)

:lol: no doubt man it’s truly hilarious reading some of these!

TheTrue7 likes this

How do projection systems see the Atlanta Hawks at the All-Star break?

Let’s see what the analytics say. 

By Brad Rowland@BTRowland  Feb 15, 2019, 11:00am EST

Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2019/2/15/18213551/atlanta-hawks-projection-systems-nba-draft-all-star-break-rest-of-season-trae-young-john-collins

Nearly two months have passed since we last checked in with a few prominent projection systems and, in short, the Atlanta Hawks are now seen in a more positive light. Of course, that makes sense given the team’s clear improvement on the court but the NBA All-Star break is here and it is a good time to catch up on how these analytical projections view the Hawks for the rest of the season. 

Be gentle. 

FiveThirtyEight: 27-55

Even with the disaster on Thursday against New York, the Hawks have quite a projected cushion over the league’s bottom tier. In fact, Atlanta is basically in a tier of their own, with a six-game lead on the dregs and a seven-game deficit (in terms of projections) behind the Grizzlies. That is probably larger than it should be given the trajectory of Memphis but, at any rate, that’s where the numbers fall here. 

TeamRankings: 25.9-56.1

We’re officially in the zone where the Hawks are now projected (by most of these systems) to have a 0.0 percent chance to make the playoffs. That isn’t technically true, of course, but it does provide a dose of reality for the optimists among us. 

NumberFire: 27.6-54.4

NumberFire has been the most optimistic system all season long and that continues this time around. It isn’t crazy to think that the Hawks could get to 28 victories (that would require only a 9-15 record after the break) but only one system projects that. 

Basketball-Reference: 26.4-55.6

B-Ref is a fantastic resource and they should be lauded for their work. With that out of the way, they also project a “best” and “worst” in terms of realistic scenarios for this season. At present, the best-case projection is 35-47 and the worst-case is 19-63. Both of those seem implausible but there’s a reason they are on the edges in the first places. 

ESPN Basketball Power Index: 25-57

Remember how the FiveThirtyEight projections place the Hawks in their own tier? Well, ESPN does it even more. Atlanta is projected to finish with the fifth-worst record and that is the general consensus. Here, the Hawks are eight games behind Memphis as the closest team to “threaten” Atlanta’s placement as a top-five team when the lottery arrives in May. 

All-Star weekend doesn’t delineate the first “half” from the second “half” of the season, as the Hawks have only 24 games remaining out of an 82-game schedule. Still, it is a good time to reset expectations and things get back underway on Friday, Feb. 22 when the Hawks take on the Pistons at State Farm Arena. 

Stay tuned.

On 2/15/2019 at 9:46 PM, tl;dr said:

Me too. We just need that Devin Booker/Kahwi Leonard/Aaron Gordon type slasher and we'll be good to go.

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Me too. We just need that Devin Booker/Kahwi Leonard/Aaron Gordon type slasher and we'll be good to go.

Get Zion, then get Kawhi to come here this offseason!!