Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jayu70

Hawks February Game Thread

284 posts in this topic

Huerter and Spellman stepped up. Huerter is going to be something nice when he gets his man body. Collins too. Trae too. Dam...nice young core. 

i'll also give a collective shoutout to the bench tonight. Most of the times they give us little, but Vince Carter turned back the clock a decade or two (lol), Spellman was mostly sublime,  and Lin and Bazemore contributed. We needed it tonight with Trae being off and Collins going down so soon.

jayu70 and Drew4719 like this

Prince was cold blooded tonight. He’s getting that veteran feel at 24 lol. He’s smart. This is a young, intelligent team. Love smart b-ball players. 

3 minutes ago, thofin21 said:

They could have folded when Collins went out .

No fold in this team. They’re learning how to win. It’s fun to watch and they’re playing the game the right way. Very unselfish team. 

thofin21 and Drew4719 like this

13 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Lol.. always gotta be that one person to find something to complain about.. after a win.. :rolleyes:

Some just think its all about tanking.  I’m happy to see these boys starting to put it together.

21 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Lol.. always gotta be that one person to find something to complain about.. after a win.. :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Some just think its all about tanking.  I’m happy to see these boys starting to put it together.

As long as it's our YOUNG guys leading the charge fir wins, I have no complaints.  Trae, Kevin, Taurean and Omari.

blkbigdog35 and Drew4719 like this

38 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Don't think they realize that our odds of having the number 1 pick improve very little from spots 1-5. Cleveland has a 14% chance to win right now and we have a 10.5% chance to win. Difference between 1st and 5th worst record. We could have the worst record, and still have a 47.9% chance of picking 5th. 

blkbigdog35 and Drew4719 like this

9 hours ago, jayu70 said:

As long as it's our YOUNG guys leading the charge fir wins, I have no complaints.  Trae, Kevin, Taurean and Omari.

Exactly!

11 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Don't think they realize that our odds of having the number 1 pick improve very little from spots 1-5. Cleveland has a 14% chance to win right now and we have a 10.5% chance to win. Difference between 1st and 5th worst record. We could have the worst record, and still have a 47.9% chance of picking 5th. 

If we play ~.500 ball the last 29 games and go 15-14, we end up 33-49 and somewhere between the 8th-10th worst team.

Memphis, Orlando, New Orleans, Dallas, and Miami are all below .500 in their last 10 games and playing poorly, and all easily within range to slide past us.

Just sayin.

Great game.  Omari showing off his full complement of talents, Huerter doing his thing, and even in an off-night shooting, Trae had 10 assists to only 1 turnover.  

The Hawks could play Collins, Young, and Huerter, then bad players from UGA's roster and they wouldn't budge from where they're at.as the bottom 4 teams are all very bad. 

For those that actually like the idea of tanking hard, the Hawks chose to rebuild at a bad time, because Silver said I'm cracking down on teams that are tanking on purpose after last year and giving them penalties. They have no choice but to continue playing as things are. A trade/buyout or two will happen, but the three players I mentioned are too good to lead to a major slide.

It's funny everyone is worried about trying to have the worst record possible for that #1 pick.

I think Schlenk has proven he can draft no matter where we pick in the first round.

Look back at the 2017 draft is there anyone that was selected before John Collins that you would be willing to trade him for straight up ?

Looking at last years draft other than the Doncic / Young trade that people will debate forever. Was there anyone available at 19 or 30 that you would look back and say I wish we had drafted them over Huerter or Spellman ?

I still hope for a top 5 pick, but I can't lie - I'm LOVING this newfangled thing called winning!

Loving the growth from our young Hawks!

2 hours ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

It's funny everyone is worried about trying to have the worst record possible for that #1 pick.

I think Schlenk has proven he can draft no matter where we pick in the first round.

Look back at the 2017 draft is there anyone that was selected before John Collins that you would be willing to trade him for straight up ?

Looking at last years draft other than the Doncic / Young trade that people will debate forever. Was there anyone available at 19 or 30 that you would look back and say I wish we had drafted them over Huerter or Spellman ?

I don't want us to tank, but I'm ok when we lose.

Draft position matters when you are rebuilding. I'd rather have the high pick and select who we want or trade down and get more assets. There's nothing worse than just missing out on the guy by a couple of spots (see Devin Booker and Giannis Ante.)

Think of this:

If we had pick 5 last year instead of 3, we may have still picked Trae but we wouldn't be looking forward to the Mavs pick this year.

Or, maybe Orlando would have tried to work a trade with Memphis to jump to pick 4 and take Trae ahead of us at 5.

Or imagine, we ended with pick 6, who would be running the PnR with Collins. So much can get screwy when options are taken away and your choice is limited.

Edited by jayu70
Jerry Lundegaard likes this

Not many young players have this kind of foresight. That ankle injury was a blessing in disguise. Props to TP for recognizing, since he's been back, his defense has been so much better, deflections, steals, fighting over screens, etc. Also his TOs are waaaay down, no more than 2 in any game since his return. 10 TOs in 11 games. Nice.

Props to Coach P for getting through to Prince.

Edited by jayu70
Drew4719 and Jerry Lundegaard like this