Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jayu70

Hawks February Game Thread

284 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Bembry does have a better defensive rating in every month this season than the  man replacing him (Prince), but:

1) It isn't by much at all.

2) Bembry's "defense" is overrated by many fans and hasn't been that good this year.

100 is average (and the baseline...lower is better):

Bembry      Prince

OCT      106 .           108

NOV      110             116

DEC      112             124  (1 GAME)

JAN       114             119

FEB      119             130  (1 GAME FOR EACH)

And we won't talk about offensive rating (higher is better)...spoiler alert: Bembry hasn't cracked 100 for ANY month this year.

I'm gonna believe what my lying eyes tell me when it comes to defense. His anticipation and IQ you can't teach, not perfect, but more often than not is in the right spot. 

Except Prince's first year, he's been really disappointing on defense, especially considering his size.

Just now, jayu70 said:

I'm gonna believe what my lying eyes tell me when it comes to defense. His anticipation and IQ you can't teach, not perfect, but more often than not is in the right spot. 

Except Prince's first year, he's been really disappointing on defense, especially considering his size.

I can mostly get behind this. To me, Bembry just looks like a man who plays solid defense most of the time.He flies around with reckless abandon and doesn't really know the meaning of the words "slow down" or "under control."

Prince appears much more fluid, but seems like he wastes a lot of potential defensively. 

The stats do bear out that Prince's rookie season was his best defensively. He's gotten worse each year. And the eye test appears to agree.

21 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

I can mostly get behind this. To me, Bembry just looks like a man who plays solid defense most of the time.He flies around with reckless abandon and doesn't really know the meaning of the words "slow down" or "under control."

Prince appears much more fluid, but seems like he wastes a lot of potential defensively. 

The stats do bear out that Prince's rookie season was his best defensively. He's gotten worse each year. And the eye test appears to agree.

I do agree on offense he needs to slow down and Prince is more fluid.

On defense though, Bembry makes the right read more often than not. He's also very vocal on defense especially because the Hawks switch a lot. He has great body position in fighting over a screen.

Difference in ballgame, with a minute left in the 3rd Q:

Hawks - 19 Turnovers (8 points off Suns TOs)

Suns - 7 Turnovers (25 points off Hawks TOs)

Edited by ATL Fan in the DMV
jayu70 likes this

Down 2 entering the 4th Q. If we stop turning the ball over, and our stars shine (Collins/Young/Heurter), and we play some dang defense, we can win this thing!

The Hawks have never met a turnover they didn't like...

Still in it, but missing some free throws. Can't miss freebies in a tight game.

And great work, Heurter!

Just now, tl;dr said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't mind keeping Dedmon around for another year. 

I like Dedmon. If it wasn't for us rebuilding, I'd like to keep him with a reasonable contract. But he could fetch us a decent asset or two, so the benefits will likely outweigh us keeping him and losing him at the end of the year.

tl;dr likes this

Proud of these guys in the 4th quarter. They still turn the ball over at an alarming rate (not just the rookies, either), which is making games that should be blowouts really tight (like tonight). We have to stop leading the league in turnovers.

Trae was masterful in the 4th...just freaking masterful. His vision is just on another level. He's gonna be averaging 10+ assists per game as early as next year.

And Collins? Kinda running out of superlatives and accolades to heap on the 'Superstar The NBA Doesn't Know Yet." Dude is amazing in a bonkers kind of way. Good Lord.

Drew4719 and jayu70 like this

Just now, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Proud of these guys in the 4th quarter. They still turn the ball over at an alarming rate (not just the rookies, either), which is making games that should be blowouts really tight (like tonight). We have to stop leading the league in turnovers.

Trae was masterful in the 4th...just freaking masterful. His vision is just on another level. He's gonna be averaging 10+ assists per game as early as next year.

And Collins? Kinda running out of superlatives and accolades to heap on the 'Superstar The NBA Doesn't Know Yet." Dude is amazing in a bonkers kind of way. Good Lord.

This sums it up very well. Maybe people will finally start to put some respect on our name in a few years 

40 minutes ago, therawest said:

Uh. Bembry’s defense is great. Not all the results show up in the stat sheet. 

I wouldn't say "great," but you are definitely entitled to the opinion. It's more like "good" but not quite to the level many fans paint it out to be.

8 hours ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Leading the league in turnovers is the product of youth, a new team building chemistry, and playing at breakneck speed. The Hawks lead the league in pace. It's very D'Antoni like in philosophy (also shooting a lot of 3s) with concepts from Popovich/Budenholzer as far as ball movement and off the ball player movement. It's also why the defense suffers at times because when you're losing possessions like that and you have to quickly transition to a fast break defense, that's tiring.

It'll get better with more experience, which is scary for the rest of the NBA because they've beaten good teams despite a lot of turnovers and have been competitive. 

jayu70, blkbigdog35 and Drew4719 like this

6 hours ago, JerseyNo11 said:

Leading the league in turnovers is the product of youth, a new team building chemistry, and playing at breakneck speed. The Hawks lead the league in pace. It's very D'Antoni like in philosophy (also shooting a lot of 3s) with concepts from Popovich/Budenholzer as far as ball movement and off the ball player movement. It's also why the defense suffers at times because when you're losing possessions like that and you have to quickly transition to a fast break defense, that's tiring.

It'll get better with more experience, which is scary for the rest of the NBA because they've beaten good teams despite a lot of turnovers and have been competitive. 

Eh, let's look at a stat that ignores pace and normalizes it per 100 plays. The Hawks STILL lead the league, and it's not even close. So yeah, they lead the league in pace, but they would still lead the league in turnovers regardless of it.

And it's not just the rookies, either.

But yes, once Pierce stops 'living with the turnovers due to the assists" (a direct paraphrase of what he has said of Trae earlier in the season), and everyone starts taking care of the ball better, then we will look even better on both ends. It is indeed good that we have been playing better despite the league-leading turnover rate. Will be scary indeed once it vastly improves.

22 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Eh, let's look at a stat that ignores pace and normalizes it per 100 plays. The Hawks STILL lead the league, and it's not even close. So yeah, they lead the league in pace, but they would still lead the league in turnovers regardless of it.

And it's not just the rookies, either.

But yes, once Pierce stops 'living with the turnovers due to the assists" (a direct paraphrase of what he has said of Trae earlier in the season), and everyone starts taking care of the ball better, then we will look even better on both ends. It is indeed good that we have been playing better despite the league-leading turnover rate. Will be scary indeed once it vastly improves.

And what's Pierce supposed to do about it now? You can't rush or force chemistry. You play through it. 

jayu70 likes this

15 minutes ago, JerseyNo11 said:

And what's Pierce supposed to do about it now? You can't rush or force chemistry. You play through it. 

Adopting a different mindset for one. It isn't difficult or rocket science. Just because they are playing well, putting up assists, or are young doesn't excuse the mindset he had. It's time for him to evolve his mindset and get them to tamp down on those TOs. 

I like how they are playing, but we can't continue to excuse the turnovers.