Jump to content

Matt Ryan on Golic & Wingo - Awesome!


Tandy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Caught this as I was giving my husband breakfast this morning  - but only the end of it - so looked it up and found this link.    It was great on TV  - the look he gave when he talked about the Saints fan turning around and looking at him - and even though you don't get the look - the Podcast is still funny.  Especially from about 5:55 through 8:22

When he talks about the Saints fan turning around and he was like - he gave the most awesome shrug - smirk - I loved it!

Here is the link - I'm not sure how to embed it.   http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=25891601

 

Further - from 9:55 through about 12:00 - THAT IS IT FOLKS!   I've been preaching that so much over and over - and so have some others on this board.   I hear other people play it off or wash it down - but it is the number one most important part of the offense.   Period.   To think that it wasn't the problem with our offense this year is just not understanding how important that piece is to the game.

Overall - this was a really great interview - at least I thought so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

Matt is anything but P.C, especially in the off-season. Dude is just a nice guy, he was still brutally honest. Even said it's hard to get the ball to the amazing skill players if we can't get the job done upfront. 

The aggravating thing is how many off-seasons we've had to talk about that exact point.  Will someone at Flowery Branch please figure out how to scout, draft and develop oline talent or get someone in here that can?  I get it is far from an exact science but to dump this much money into a franchise QB and weapons around him and by continue to be limited by protection...is frustrating at best. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kschreck said:

The aggravating thing is how many off-seasons we've had to talk about that exact point.  Will someone at Flowery Branch please figure out how to scout, draft and develop oline talent or get someone in here that can?  I get it is far from an exact science but to dump this much money into a franchise QB and weapons around him and by continue to be limited by protection...is frustrating at best. 

I think we have to focus hard in that direction by default this year. Our skill positions are pretty well manned. We just need a few strategic moves to fill in the gaps to build a contender.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kschreck said:

The aggravating thing is how many off-seasons we've had to talk about that exact point.  Will someone at Flowery Branch please figure out how to scout, draft and develop oline talent or get someone in here that can?  I get it is far from an exact science but to dump this much money into a franchise QB and weapons around him and by continue to be limited by protection...is frustrating at best. 

Yes.

The issue isn’t so much scouting it.

To me it’s the scarcity of the actual talent.The college ranks with them all operating out of spread systems for the most part struggle outside of the chosen few.

I almost feel drafting these guys it’s a right place at the right time deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Yes.

The issue isn’t so much scouting it.

To me it’s the scarcity of the actual talent.The college ranks with them all operating out of spread systems for the most part struggle outside of the chosen few.

I almost feel drafting these guys it’s a right place at the right time deal.

Even more, it's about developing, training and coaching.   If you don't have the right coaching personnel in place - you are not going to get the most out of these guys.

One thing to note about teams like the Patriots - they keep the core players - let the others come and go - but the core trainers - the key guys - they hold on to those guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tandy said:

Even more, it's about developing, training and coaching.   If you don't have the right coaching personnel in place - you are not going to get the most out of these guys.

One thing to note about teams like the Patriots - they keep the core players - let the others come and go - but the core trainers - the key guys - they hold on to those guys.

Yes agreed for the most part but I just believe because of college ball the way it is the jump is just so big and hence why these guys in that position struggle so much at the next level.

Its almost as though it’s night and day to some of these guys they aren’t strong enough everything happens to quick for them and it goes on.

Coaching yes but I think what’s even more important is simplifying there roles not giving them too much to think about and just allow them to speed the learning process up.For example Schweitzer played left side his whole career and when he came here he had to play right and took his lumps and still is.I never understood the thought process behind that.Changing a naturally left sided player into a right sided guy to play against bigger stronger faster opposition to me that’s a recipe for failure going from college to pro.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There talking about prospect Cody Ford moving inside I wouldn’t do that I’d leave him playing the spot he knows and if down the line he shows as a better prospect to play inside then move him.But for me I’d leave him to where he’s comfortable.

This is where that metrics thing comes in and clutters a guys development curve throwing something new at a guy in a position that struggles to develop.Leave them alone for a year of 2 at there given spot.Let them develop and then keep feeding them more but don’t give them information overload from the jump.

Paralysis by Analysis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Yes agreed for the most part but I just believe because of college ball the way it is the jump is just so big and hence why these guys in that position struggle so much at the next level.

Its almost as though it’s night and day to some of these guys they aren’t strong enough everything happens to quick for them and it goes on.

Coaching yes but I think what’s even more important is simplifying there roles not giving them too much to think about and just allow them to speed the learning process up.For example Schweitzer played left side his whole career and when he came here he had to play right and took his lumps and still is.I never understood the thought process behind that.Changing a naturally left sided player into a right sided guy to play against bigger stronger faster opposition to me that’s a recipe for failure going from college to pro.

 

The right trainer would have known his limitations and put him in the best position to succeed and given him the tools and training he needed to make it.  It's why you see guys leave a team they fail with and have success with another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

If anything was going to get 28-3 out of guys heads, it was this. Guys seem so much happier and light hearted after that.

One thing that encourages me is the Falcons lost the 2012 NFCCG in heartbreaking fashion but came back 4 years later and destroyed the Packers in the 2016 NFCCG. If we can just get back we at least have experience and we know we are capable of winning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Talen Kylon said:

Here's the video starts at about 42:30. 

 

The shrug is about at 49:55

I was listening to this on the way to work, in was actually late heading inside so incould listen to it all.  It really was one of his best interviews.

I was wondering what expression he gave the guy lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

There talking about prospect Cody Ford moving inside I wouldn’t do that I’d leave him playing the spot he knows and if down the line he shows as a better prospect to play inside then move him.But for me I’d leave him to where he’s comfortable.

This is where that metrics thing comes in and clutters a guys development curve throwing something new at a guy in a position that struggles to develop.Leave them alone for a year of 2 at there given spot.Let them develop and then keep feeding them more but don’t give them information overload from the jump.

Paralysis by Analysis.

 

 

played LG before moving to Right Tackle this past year... I also think he would be good at RT but i think he would be a stud at either... I wouldnt mind if we started him off at guard even tho i think he can play RT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...