Cole World

Brandon Fusco

95 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Falcons have added three GMs to work under Dimitroff since Konz/Holmes were drafted - it’s not the same personnel department and some of those GMs have been much more successful than TD at picking offensive linemen.

That’s the point.  It’s time to flip the script on Falcon’s strategy to fix the OLine.

Yeah, I'll be happy if they double dip early on Oline, If one of the game changing DTs drops to 14, I'm OK, with it being picks 2 & 3, or using the second pick on OL and combining our  3rd and one of the comp picks to move back into the second to double dip.

Think this the year to do so, you can't anticipate both starting guards being injured and the steep decline from the RT, but that happened in 18, time to fix that in 19.

g-dawg, Drew4719 and Schwarzwald like this

28 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I understand the idea that this draft is supposed to be thick with defensive line talent and thin with offensive line talent, but you can't say for sure what is a good idea at any pick without knowing exactly who is there at the time of the pick.  If there is only one first round talent at OL and he falls to the Falcons, don't they have to take him?  Same goes for the 2nd and 3rd round.  Sometimes thin talent in a draft can make it that much more important to grab a decent value if it slips to you at a position of need.

Lets be clear though.  If a guy falls, then that is a guy projected to go higher so yes we would take a Cody Ford if he was projected top 10 and fell to #14.  However, we would not take Cody Ford @ #14 if he is projected to be a bottom 1st round to fringe 2nd round talent.  Thats drafting for need but reaching for it.  Its the reason why we didnt take a few DL at #26 last year and even in the 2nd round.  The talent and potential didnt justify taking a guy just because you needed him.  Value is a key term that comes up all the time during draft season.

Yes, you sometimes have to go up and get your guy.  Im fine with that.  I loved trading up for Takk Mckinley or drafting Keanu early(now it doesnt seem that way but he was projected be a late 1st early 2nd rounder at BEST.  The only time you would reach like crazy is for a QB.  QB hungry teams have to do it. imo

Schwarzwald likes this

2 hours ago, falconidae said:

They made Mack the highest paid OC in the league. They paid LeVitre 6 mil a year. Those aren't bargain basement moves.

Didn't Mack opt out of his contract

Mack was the best free agent OLineman they ever signed, however so many free agents are over the hill has been  or long time journeyman ham And Eggers 

3 minutes ago, thofin21 said:

Mack was the best free agent OLineman they ever signed, however so many free agents are over the hill has been  or long time journeyman ham And Eggers 

LeVitre was solid, as I recall, they went to the Super Bowl with Chester starting, he can't have been too bad.

They had Matthews, Mack and Schreader making big money, you can't have your entire Oline making 10 mil a year.

Schwarzwald likes this

23 minutes ago, falconidae said:

LeVitre was solid, as I recall, they went to the Super Bowl with Chester starting, he can't have been too bad.

They had Matthews, Mack and Schreader making big money, you can't have your entire Oline making 10 mil a year.

Levitre was solid when healthy, almost never healthy. Schrader was above average and then last year he fell off a cliff. Chester was mediocre. 

Back to the original topic, I'm fine hanging onto Fusco. The difference between keeping him and cutting him is $2.5 million and I just don't see another $2.5 million move that could have the upside of a healthy, productive Fusco. 

Geneaut, Stryka and Drew4719 like this

4 minutes ago, thofin21 said:

Levitre was solid when healthy, almost never healthy. Schrader was above average and then last year he fell off a cliff. Chester was mediocre. 

LeVitre played 45 straight games for the Falcons, that's not "almost never healthy"

Stryka, Drew4719, Summerhill and 1 other like this

16 hours ago, g-dawg said:

We need three new OL - at least two of them from the draft.   

To me, the perfect draft will likely mean dedicating either 1st & 4th rounders or 2nd & 3rd rounders.  I know you cannot make it that simple but we need heavy emphasis on OLine for sure.  We need to get better and younger.

I think TD looks for a trade partner, probably after the draft.  Patriots traded a 3rd for RT Trent Brown and a 5th.   I would not be enthused with using that high a pick, though.

A trade would help keep the cap cost down and give us a vet player.  Well, maybe.

Then do what you are saying g-dawg.   Because I looked at our cap, and potential cuts, and man... I don't see how TD will do everything we want in one off season without making tons of holes, and still allow us to sign Deion Jones and Hooper next season.

The key is....just how desperate are TD and DQ to build a winner next year?  Desperate enough to possibly trade future picks, like we did for Julio?

DISCLAIMER:  Trust me folks....I  am -not- an advocate of doing any of the above.  

Edited by egoprime II

10 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

I think TD looks for a trade partner, probably after the draft.  Patriots traded a 3rd for RT Trent Brown and a 5th.   I would not be enthused with using that high a pick, though.

A trade would help keep the cap cost down and give us a vet player.  Well, maybe.

Then do what you are saying g-dawg.   Because I looked at our cap, and potential cuts, and man... I don't see how TD will do everything we want in one off season without making tons of holes, and still allow us to sign Deion Jones and Hooper next season.

The key is....just how desperate are TD and DQ to build a winner next year?  Desperate enough to possibly trade future picks, like we did for Julio?

Trading picks to move up is just a bad idea.   Falcons aren’t, and were never “one player away.”

To trade up to get an “Aaron Donald-type” player - first - there’s probably not a player like that and - second - the more picks you give up, the more perfect you have to be with every single FA move and draft pick.

Making “all in” moves with so many teams more setup for SB success next year than us - it’s just bad business.

25 minutes ago, falconidae said:

LeVitre played 45 straight games for the Falcons, that's not "almost never healthy"

You sure about that ? His first 2 years were solid and he was healthy, the last 2 he was sub par or unable to play 

Edited by thofin21

14 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Trading picks to move up is just a bad idea.   Falcons aren’t, and were never “one player away.”

To trade up to get an “Aaron Donald-type” player - first - there’s probably not a player like that and - second - the more picks you give up, the more perfect you have to be with every single FA move and draft pick.

Making “all in” moves with so many teams more setup for SB success next year than us - it’s just bad business.

Apologies for not being more clear.   I was thinking more along the lines of the Levitre or Sambraillo trades.

Or trading future picks, maybe high picks, for a player, similar to what we did with Julio, but get a player instead of a draft pick.

Or trading, say, a future 1st for a current 2nd, something like Reeves did once.

Edited by egoprime II

6 minutes ago, thofin21 said:

You sure about that ? His first 2 years were solid and he was healthy, the last 2 he was sub par or unable to play 

Yeah, I'm sure:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LeviAn20.htm

He played 42 straight games from 2015 to 2017. Hasn't been the same since then, but that was almost 3 straight years of solid play.

1 minute ago, egoprime II said:

Apologies foe not being more clear.   I was thinking more along the lines of the Levitre or Sambraillo trades.

Or trading future picks, maybe high picks, for a player, similar to what we did with Julio, but get a player instead of a draft pick.

Or trading, say, a future 1st for a current 2nd, something like Reeves did once.

Yeah, I don’t see it - trying to just be too cute for the sake of it.   Of course a GM/HC always have to be on guard for any way to improve the team and I never like GMs that won’t work up and down the draft board - but I am burnt out on these half moves like trading 5th round pick for journeymen players like Sambrailo.

egoprime II likes this

4 hours ago, Vandy said:

TD says a lot of things, there were plenty of good OL prospects there who got taken soon after our pick.....I thought we were going DT, shows how little I know :rolleyes:

I think it was more Ridley falling into their laps, a BPA pick that was smart for team over the long run ( which as you know is really what the draft is about) . Which is part of my point, when teams/TD get so hyper-focused on drafting for need instead of letting draft come to him, more often than not it bites us in the arse.

of course, I know I’m in the minority here in believing our OL was not near as bad as TAFT claims it was. I do agree its time to invest there, but hope we’re strategic about it, rather than behaving desperate. With that said, I hope draft falls in a way where 2 of our 1st 3 picks can go OL. 

Oh, the OL was bad. We tried to make do but the team results don’t lie. We couldn’t move the ball vs the Ravens hardly at all. This is where Sark and leaving in Garland/Schraeder on the right side did him in. He wasn’t a guy to hold them accountable and bench them until the 5 game skid left it as too little too late.

I agree on your other points.

It’s just that losing both starting OGs, Schraeder 100% falling off (dude was benched), and having Freeman get a season ending injury/barely playing were not part of the plan or easy to determine back on draft day 2018.

We are in the playoffs with just those 3 guys on the offense. (EDIT: meaning the injured ones, still couldve started Ty sooner) 

Now imagine the D with Quinn stepping in early instead of believing too much in MM. the adversity revealed enough for MM and Sark to be gone. As in they may improve, but if adversity strikes again we needed proven coordinators.

Yeah still would’ve been a worse version of 2016 team; without better defensive results, but at least we would’ve been in the dance and imagine our offense last year with a run game!

Hence MM and Sark gone. DQ let the leash of trust out too long in his guys at coordinator after that SB meltdown. Time to make strategically sound moves; not just overly motivated decisions of the heart.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
Drew4719 and Vandy like this

5 hours ago, g-dawg said:

You are missing the point.   For a decade the Falcons have been putting bandaids on the offensive line - at some point, you have to address it in a meaningful way.

In  last 10years the Falcons have invested one 1st round pick(Matthews), one 2nd round pick(Konz) and two 3rd round picks (Mike Johnson/Lamar Holmes).   A grand total of ONE pick before pick#55.

Ponder on that.

All I have ever wanted TD to do, is do things the Patriot way.  Belichik would never let his O line get to be so sorry that it could not protect Brady...or run the ball between the tackles.

Dang I seem to be quoting you a lot today, g-dawg...  :P

g-dawg likes this

12 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah, I don’t see it - trying to just be too cute for the sake of it.   Of course a GM/HC always have to be on guard for any way to improve the team and I never like GMs that won’t work up and down the draft board - but I am burnt out on these half moves like trading 5th round pick for journeymen players like Sambrailo.

Concerning half moves, so am I.

I'm am concerned TD and/or Quinn might do something with our future pick is all.   In order to preserve their jobs.

5 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Concerning half moves, so am I.

I'm am concerned TD and/or Quinn might do something with our future pick is all.   In order to preserve their jobs.

We really do need to start taking a Patriots Strategy to draft and FA.  Also, we need a top OL coach as well  -  BB has a great knack for picking OL but his OL Coach Scarnecchia has a great ability to develop these guys as well.

I couldn’t even tell you who the OL coach is for Falcons but I can tell you he isn’t very good.

egoprime II likes this

10 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

We really do need to start taking a Patriots Strategy to draft and FA.  Also, we need a top OL coach as well  -  BB has a great knack for picking OL but his OL Coach Scarnecchia has a great ability to develop these guys as well.

I couldn’t even tell you who the OL coach is for Falcons but I can tell you he isn’t very good.

Nate Solder, Logan Mankins and Isiah Wynn.  Three 1st round picks for the O line, by the Patriots over the years.  Just off the top of my head.   We -did- have Mike Tice coaching our line, we need to get him back here.

And, really....what good does it do to hire a GM from a winning organization, if that GM doesn't bring that winning organization's ways and philosophies with him?   Essentially TD is saying he knows how to build a team -better- than NE does!

And we thought Kyle Shanahan was arrogant...

1 hour ago, egoprime II said:

Nate Solder, Logan Mankins and Isiah Wynn.  Three 1st round picks for the O line, by the Patriots over the years.  Just off the top of my head.   We -did- have Mike Tice coaching our line, we need to get him back here.

And, really....what good does it do to hire a GM from a winning organization, if that GM doesn't bring that winning organization's ways and philosophies with him?   Essentially TD is saying he knows how to build a team -better- than NE does!

And we thought Kyle Shanahan was arrogant...

I have given TD credit recently for being flexible by making changes when Quinn came in - he basically takes orders from him on types of players and traits needed - especially on defense - also gave credit to Dimitroff for further submitting his ego and bringing in the 3-4 past GMs in Pioli, Emery and Ruston - did have another one who left.

Now, where TD needs to humble himself is his philosophy on acquiring offensive line talent - if he will do that, I will be behind him wholeheartedly.

egoprime II likes this

17 hours ago, Cole World said:

I’m sorry but I don’t see the Falcons paying any offensive lineman outside of the organization 10M+ plus, especially for someone who has been hurt back to back seasons (Daryl Williams). 

I think he may take a 1 yr deal bc injuries will make teams shy.