Cole World

Brandon Fusco

95 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

It’s tricky, yes? I agree with your take, yet folks are naive in thinking rookie offensive linemen are just gonna come in and things will immediately get better. 

Nobody knows for sure what happened with Schraeder, we just know he stunk. Why Has he regressed in play that much? Was he hurt? ? Did he get lazy after his big contract? Did he get ‘old’? 

Same for OG....Wes was actually our best OG last year. But he’s still learning and average at best. Do we pair him with a rookie such as Lindstrom (who I like a lot) as starters? 

It’s tricky. 

I actually do think rookies can come in and play good .. the Saints has shown that... the Colts has shown that... **** dallas did it when they draft 1st round O-lineman in 3 out of the 4 years from 2011-2014... 

**** the Patriots did it... Shaq Mason and David Andrews came in there rookie year in 2015 and started most of the year including in the playoffs...The next year tge Pats drafted Joe Thuney and he came in starting

I feel like in this league u can't be afraid to play and develop your young guys ... With this salary cap and the big name players we have.... You have too

With Ryan SCHRAEDER I'm still lost whst happen..  I don't think he had the best 2017 season but boyyyy he fell off the cliff this past year... that was weird... it seem like the team tried to give him another chance during the last game and it was baddddd man

Osiruz, g-dawg and The Don™ like this

10 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

You are missing the point.   For a decade the Falcons have been putting bandaids on the offensive line - at some point, you have to address it in a meaningful way.

In  last 10years the Falcons have invested one 1st round pick(Matthews), one 2nd round pick(Konz) and two 3rd round picks (Mike Johnson/Lamar Holmes).   A grand total of ONE pick before pick#55.

Ponder on that.

Yeah it wouldn't bother me if the Falcons went OL with their first 3 picks.  I'd love that actually.

That is, as long as they are able to lock up Grady for 2019.

g-dawg likes this

3 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I actually do think rookies can come in and play good .. the Saints has shown that... the Colts has shown that... **** dallas did it when they draft 1st round O-lineman in 3 out of the 4 years from 2011-2014... 

**** the Patriots did it... Shaq Mason and David Andrews came in there rookie year in 2015 and started most of the year includibg in the playoffs...The next year tge Pats drafted Joe Thuney and he came in starting

I feel like in this league u can't be afraid to play and develop your young guys ... With this salary cap and the big name players we have.... You have too

Of course it can be done, and I’m advocating investing 2 of our 1st 3 picks on OL....but my point is (in this immediate gratification world) it could be messy at first. 

6 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Yeah it wouldn't bother me if the Falcons went OL with their first 3 picks.  I'd love that actually.

And completley miss on ALL the elite defensive talent in this draft??? Hard pass.  Grady will get locked up, we need to get realistic about improving in the trenches.  We arent drafting 3 OL.  Value isnt there, we have other needs and the most we ever done at a position of need is double dip.

We are likely going to only draft 1 OL player early and pick up another late with a possible splash signing at OT and resigning 1 of our own at G.

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Of course it can be done, and I’m advocating investing 2 of our 1st 3 picks on OL....but my point is (in this immediate gratification world) it could be messy at first. 

oh it can be but its about tie.... Its been about time for us to start developing young lineman...

TD recently admitted that they planned on drafting a O-Lineman (most likely Wynn..my opinion) but there was a run on lineman.

but this the thing... im not even talking about Nelson play or Zach Martin play... If we can get average play from a rookie lineman.. Thats huge for our line

Vandy and Drew4719 like this

13 minutes ago, Peyton said:

locking up grady is a must

1 hour ago, Lornoth said:

I know he's the whipping boy around here, but Wes is probably the best of the 4.

It's all debatable. There's really no clear answer. I just like Fusco the best 

2 hours ago, atljbo said:

oh it can be but its about tie.... Its been about time for us to start developing young lineman...

TD recently admitted that they planned on drafting a O-Lineman (most likely Wynn..my opinion) but there was a run on lineman.

but this the thing... im not even talking about Nelson play or Zach Martin play... If we can get average play from a rookie lineman.. Thats huge for our line

TD says a lot of things, there were plenty of good OL prospects there who got taken soon after our pick.....I thought we were going DT, shows how little I know :rolleyes:

I think it was more Ridley falling into their laps, a BPA pick that was smart for team over the long run ( which as you know is really what the draft is about) . Which is part of my point, when teams/TD get so hyper-focused on drafting for need instead of letting draft come to him, more often than not it bites us in the arse.

of course, I know I’m in the minority here in believing our OL was not near as bad as TAFT claims it was. I do agree its time to invest there, but hope we’re strategic about it, rather than behaving desperate. With that said, I hope draft falls in a way where 2 of our 1st 3 picks can go OL. 

Schwarzwald and Drew4719 like this

13 hours ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Here's the thing. We're not replacing 3 spots with quality OL in one offseason. That's not to say it hasn't happened before but that it's rare and lucky.

So I'm personally preparing myself for 2 spots to be resolved with quality OL (1 free agent and 1 draftee)

Next, I understand that one of these 3 will be starting on the OL next year --- Sambrailo, Schraeder, or Fusco

Finally, I am hoping that with the above understood we still draft a future years replacement to one of those 3 for the 2020 season.

If we do the above, then to me that does 3 things:

1. Opens up an opportunity to get one of these top DTs in the draft

2. Allows us to be financially responsible and still resolve 2 major holes

3. Sets us up for future success depending on the talent and development of the backup draftee

I agree i think we draft a LG that can play beside Mack and Matthews. Then sign a RT in FA and we are going to keep Wes or Fusco at RG.

ATLFalcons11 likes this

17 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Yeah and TATF collectively keeps wanting top UFAs because they always want the “quick fix”.  The quick fix is almost always fool’s gold to me - do what helps you for next 3-5 years.  Reggie White & Alex Mack are exceptions, not the rule.

Also agree that rookies can play well on offensive line in NFL and often do.   Falcons window is not “next year” - it’s wide open if we keep adding young talent on both lines of scrimmage.  Matt Ryan has at least 4 more really good years and Julio should have 2-3 more elite years.

atljbo likes this

I think it's funny how majority of the people here down a guy like Fusco. 

The Colts signed Mark Glowinski from the vaunted Seahawks OL after he was waived. Go check out his PFF and blocking stats. 

Drew4719 and Vandy like this

17 minutes ago, Jesus said:

This team is going to surprise and disappoint with the signings they do and don't make.

The answers to most NFL teams improving is continued emphasis on the draft/college free agency and maximizing those opportunities - average NFL team generates probably two significant contributors thru draft and college free agency each year.  Doubling that rate of return can really fix a team quickly while also improving depth.

The primary focus of free agency should be retaining core players and supplementing at a low level.

Cole World likes this

I just hope folks don't get too optimistic about high drafted offensive lineman coming in here and making a big difference in our line against the caliber of NFL defensive lineman we will have to play with this upcoming schedule. Most rookie OL have a learning curve. The players are bigger, faster and experienced. We want to make a run for the SB next year but I don't think drafting 2-3 OL in the first 3 rounds is the true answer. We should draft OL but we need to address other areas too. If anyone we should weight what happens with injuries in the NFL, we have to have a strong 53 man roster. I'm more

for signing Tollilo and a FA coupled with 2  OL Draft picks to fix our OL problems.

47 minutes ago, TrueFalcon316 said:

I agree i think we draft a LG that can play beside Mack and Matthews. Then sign a RT in FA and we are going to keep Wes or Fusco at RG.

What FA tackle? They are all at best average, nothing I would throw $10M+ a season at for sure. Once Massie got locked in my interest in any FA tackles went to zero. Draft a tackle in top 2-3 rounds, bring back Ty. Let them and RS compete in camp, and keep the best vet and the rookie.

I don't know what we are going to do but we need some athletic maulers that can move people when we need it. Our offense doesn't have a problem moving the ball from the 20 to the 20, but soon as the field shrink we start having problems (more so against good defenses).

Why? It's because of our personnel.

Schraeder, Sambrailo, Fusco, and Levitre all are better run blockers than they are pass blockers, but that's not to say they are dominate run blockers because they're not.  Traditional pass blocking to where Ryan drops back and pass is not the players listed above strong suit. If it wasn't for the play action being so effective Ryan would be killed back there (we ranked 2nd in the league in play action efficiency even though we had a bottom of the league rushing game) .

I have to go back and check but I'm willing to bet most of Schraeder sacks and pressures came in games where we couldn't establish the run, and the opposing team didn't respect the play action which forced us to drop back and pass.

I'm all for drafting a OL or two in the first 3 rounds but as far as the first I'm stuck on Simmons/Oliver or another dominate D-lineman. Yes the quantity is there with the D-lineman this draft but the ones who are instant game changer will be long gone by our 2nd round pick. Right now I don't see any Nelson's or generational talent on the offensive line this draft. There are some players who will turn out to be good though that could possibly be had in the 2nd and maybe even the 3rd.  

Drew4719 and g-dawg like this

12 hours ago, thofin21 said:

Oh hum typical Falcons free agent bargain basement move

They made Mack the highest paid OC in the league. They paid LeVitre 6 mil a year. Those aren't bargain basement moves.

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Agreed

Spending big money on offensive linemen that other NFL teams let go to free agency is a terrible use of cap dollars and will almost always not payoff.   

Alex Mack was the exception - not the rule.

Didn't Mack opt out of his contract

7 minutes ago, falconidae said:

They made Mack the highest paid OC in the league. They paid LeVitre 6 mil a year. Those aren't bargain basement moves.

Didn't Mack opt out of his contract

With Cleveland?  What’s your point?

Stryka likes this

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

With Cleveland?  What’s your point?

That it wasn't Cleveland's choice to let him go. I was agreeing with you that teams don't let good Oline leave.

g-dawg likes this

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

You are missing the point.   For a decade the Falcons have been putting bandaids on the offensive line - at some point, you have to address it in a meaningful way.

In  last 10years the Falcons have invested one 1st round pick(Matthews), one 2nd round pick(Konz) and two 3rd round picks (Mike Johnson/Lamar Holmes).   A grand total of ONE pick before pick#55.

Ponder on that.

I have missed no point. We have been terrible at fixing the OLine and honestly even when we address it, we have missed. Mathews and Mack are it and everyone else either had a good year and then fell off a cliff or stunk from the get go. There are others on the list like Garret Reynolds, Mike Person, James Stone , Jake Rodgers all failures.

The point you missed was, the thread is called "brandon Fusco" and you posted "sign ANOTHER..." Another being the keyword here, so much so it's in caps. Another means you are referring to a previous object, IE Brandon Fusco. I clearly pointed out he is not overpaid, he is below starting guard average.

THAT my friend is the point.

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Ponder on that.

Didn't know spending $45MM on an All Pro center was a band aid. Didn't know trading for Andy was a band aid, considering how good he was in Buffalo before being a scheme mismatch in Tennessee. Didn't know developing Schraeder into a top tier RT was a band-aid. 

The last ten years the Falcons have invested a ton into the DL and busted a ton too. Doesn't mean it was for naught. You can only judge the current situation based on what's happened since DQ got here. From 2015-2018. 

Stryka, Vandy and Drew4719 like this

52 minutes ago, runshoot said:

I have missed no point. We have been terrible at fixing the OLine and honestly even when we address it, we have missed. Mathews and Mack are it and everyone else either had a good year and then fell off a cliff or stunk from the get go. There are others on the list like Garret Reynolds, Mike Person, James Stone , Jake Rodgers all failures.

The point you missed was, the thread is called "brandon Fusco" and you posted "sign ANOTHER..." Another being the keyword here, so much so it's in caps. Another means you are referring to a previous object, IE Brandon Fusco. I clearly pointed out he is not overpaid, he is below starting guard average.

Falcons have added three GMs to work under Dimitroff since Konz/Holmes were drafted - it’s not the same personnel department and some of those GMs have been much more successful than TD at picking offensive linemen.

That’s the point.  It’s time to flip the script on Falcon’s strategy to fix the OLine.

15 hours ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Here's the thing. We're not replacing 3 spots with quality OL in one offseason. That's not to say it hasn't happened before but that it's rare and lucky.

So I'm personally preparing myself for 2 spots to be resolved with quality OL (1 free agent and 1 draftee)

Next, I understand that one of these 3 will be starting on the OL next year --- Sambrailo, Schraeder, or Fusco

Finally, I am hoping that with the above understood we still draft a future years replacement to one of those 3 for the 2020 season.

If we do the above, then to me that does 3 things:

1. Opens up an opportunity to get one of these top DTs in the draft

2. Allows us to be financially responsible and still resolve 2 major holes

3. Sets us up for future success depending on the talent and development of the backup draftee

Nope. Wayyyy too much common sense for TATFers! Can it! Let's just do something weird like draft another pass-rusher or a wideout or something! Then we can overpay a couple of free-agents and viola' CHAMPIONSHIIIIIP! :slick:

ATLFalcons11 likes this

2 hours ago, Stryka said:

And completley miss on ALL the elite defensive talent in this draft??? Hard pass.  Grady will get locked up, we need to get realistic about improving in the trenches.  We arent drafting 3 OL.  Value isnt there, we have other needs and the most we ever done at a position of need is double dip.

We are likely going to only draft 1 OL player early and pick up another late with a possible splash signing at OT and resigning 1 of our own at G.

I understand the idea that this draft is supposed to be thick with defensive line talent and thin with offensive line talent, but you can't say for sure what is a good idea at any pick without knowing exactly who is there at the time of the pick.  If there is only one first round talent at OL and he falls to the Falcons, don't they have to take him?  Same goes for the 2nd and 3rd round.  Sometimes thin talent in a draft can make it that much more important to grab a decent value if it slips to you at a position of need.

Drew4719 and Vandy like this

1 hour ago, runshoot said:

<sigh>

So much wrong in here....