Cole World

Brandon Fusco

95 posts in this topic

Fusco was not terrible like Schraeder but he was not great either.  We knew what we were getting and he was the best of what we could afford who knew the scheme.  I don't care if he sticks around or not but I want as many upgrades on OL as we can get.  I probably favor keeping Wes over any of the guys in question and even he isn't good but I see growth potential in him that I do not see in the others.

raysnill1, Osiruz, Drew4719 and 3 others like this

While we need another interior defender, possibly an edge guy to replace Beasley and another corner - I wouldn't mind biting the bullet and maneuvering to get three top offensive linemen in the draft.

Jonah Williams - RT

Dalton Risner - C/OG

Chris Lindstrom - OG

TATF would probably have a collective friggin' heart attack if we did it - probably not possible to get all three anyway but Gawd almighty that would fix our O-Line for a decade.   We probably have to rotate those guys in and out the first year but all three of those guys are probably 5-10 year starters.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

While we need another interior defender, possibly an edge guy to replace Beasley and another corner - I wouldn't mind biting the bullet and maneuvering to get three top offensive linemen in the draft.

Jonah Williams - RT

Dalton Risner - C/OG

Chris Lindstrom - OG

TATF would probably have a collective friggin' heart attack if we did it - probably not possible to get all three anyway but Gawd almighty that would fix our O-Line for a decade.   We probably have to rotate those guys in and out the first year but all three of those guys are probably 5-10 year starters.

Part of me would love to grab one of the top DTs in the 1st but I don’t see how anyone could hate if we went this route and they were all as advertised. If we addressed the defensive line in FA I’d be very happy with that haul.

Here's the thing. We're not replacing 3 spots with quality OL in one offseason. That's not to say it hasn't happened before but that it's rare and lucky.

So I'm personally preparing myself for 2 spots to be resolved with quality OL (1 free agent and 1 draftee)

Next, I understand that one of these 3 will be starting on the OL next year --- Sambrailo, Schraeder, or Fusco

Finally, I am hoping that with the above understood we still draft a future years replacement to one of those 3 for the 2020 season.

If we do the above, then to me that does 3 things:

1. Opens up an opportunity to get one of these top DTs in the draft

2. Allows us to be financially responsible and still resolve 2 major holes

3. Sets us up for future success depending on the talent and development of the backup draftee

38 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

Fusco was not terrible like Schraeder but he was not great either.  We knew what we were getting and he was the best of what we could afford who knew the scheme.  I don't care if he sticks around or not but I want as many upgrades on OL as we can get.  I probably favor keeping Wes over any of the guys in question and even he isn't good but I see growth potential in him that I do not see in the others.

Does Fusco lining up right next to Schraeder feed in to his bad numbers? Does having a really good RT next to him make him any better? 

4 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Here's the thing. We're not replacing 3 spots with quality OL in one offseason. That's not to say it hasn't happened before but that it's rare and lucky.

So I'm personally preparing myself for 2 spots to be resolved with quality OL (1 free agent and 1 draftee)

Next, I understand that one of these 3 will be starting on the OL next year --- Sambrailo, Schraeder, or Fusco

Finally, I am hoping that with the above understood we still draft a future years replacement to one of those 3 for the 2020 season.

If we do the above, then to me that does 3 things:

1. Opens up an opportunity to get one of these top DTs in the draft

2. Allows us to be financially responsible and still resolve 2 major holes

3. Sets us up for future success depending on the talent and development of the backup draftee

Fusco is the better of those 3. If your LT, LG, C, and RT are good, your RG can be below average and you'll still have a really good OLine

Schwarzwald and Summerhill like this

I’m predicting that we sign a RT in FAcy whether it be Trent Brown, Juwan James, Donovan Smith, Daryl Williams, or other. Draft a guard in the 2nd or 3rd round whether it be Dru Samia, Lindstrom, Jenkins, Risner, the guy from NC State, or one of the Wisconsin guys.

2019 OL:

Matthews-Rookie-Mack-Fusco-Vet FA

Not saying this is what I want or don’t want. Just saying I think the team addresses RT with a veteran, works one rookie guard into the starting lineup, and keep Fusco because they don’t want to have a 2nd rookie starting or spend big on a FA guard. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

6 minutes ago, AtlantaFanatic said:

Fusco is the better of those 3. If your LT, LG, C, and RT are good, your RG can be below average and you'll still have a really good OLine

So the numbers showed his pass blocking but not his run blocking and although I saw the TD quote from the Adam schefter podcast, I think you could still protect your QB with a solid run game.

That's not to say you're wrong because we showed that in 2016 with Chris Chester.

Schwarzwald and AtlantaFanatic like this

10 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

Does Fusco lining up right next to Schraeder feed in to his bad numbers? Does having a really good RT next to him make him any better? 

Probably...but Schraeder wasn't bad all the time and Fusco was still meh.

Flyin' In DC likes this

We need three new OL - at least two of them from the draft.   

To me, the perfect draft will likely mean dedicating either 1st & 4th rounders or 2nd & 3rd rounders.  I know you cannot make it that simple but we need heavy emphasis on OLine for sure.  We need to get better and younger.

Vandy, egoprime II, Drew4719 and 1 other like this

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Jonah Williams - RT

Dalton Risner - C/OG

Chris Lindstrom - OG

I mean, that may pay off in 3 years.  But it would only hurt us in 2019 unless all other holes can be filled via FA. Even then, 2 rookies on the OL is a nightmare

And don’t say the Colts thrived with 2 rookies on the OL.  Their line coach was fired because they had to use 6 OL on 30% of the snaps.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

To me, the perfect draft will likely mean dedicating either 1st & 4th rounders or 2nd & 3rd rounders.  I know you cannot make it that simple but we need heavy emphasis on OLine for sure.  We need to get better and younger.

2 of our first 3 picks should be OL. 

g-dawg, atlbaby and falconidae like this

17 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

We will invest in 3 OL in the offseason but don’t get your hopes depending on that 3rd one to contribute next year. 

That’s very rare and extremely lucky 

2 hours ago, red falcon said:

He sure got a lot of hate on here thats for sure

It’s because alot had Norwood booked in as there off season FA and we ended up with mid tier Fusco.

Alot think it’s an all star game and we have to be all pro in every position.

3 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

We will invest in 3 OL in the offseason but don’t get your hopes depending on that 3rd one to contribute next year. 

That’s very rare and extremely lucky 

Yeah when I said draft two and sign one, my thought would be the free agent would start and the higher of the two drafted would start while the second drafted would more likely take a year.   I don’t want a second one drafted late though.  Take before 5th round or not at all.

ATLFalcons11 and FalconsIn2012 like this

1 hour ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

So the numbers showed his pass blocking but not his run blocking and although I saw the TD quote from the Adam schefter podcast, I think you could still protect your QB with a solid run game.

That's not to say you're wrong because we showed that in 2016 with Chris Chester

Chester was much better than he gets credit for on here