Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cole World

Matt Ryan opened up on going from Sark to Koetter on 680 The Fan

51 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

In other words, he’s not popping off like some fkg dumbas* so as to not create unnecessary political horse manure for Hollywood magazine & ESPN.  While not embarrassing the organization he works for. 

Which means he’s probably purposely boring & vanilla for the clownshow media & saves his edgy side for the field & behind the scenes.

If you want drama & ignorant, foolish comments, pack up your fkg offensive remarks about my God & my flag & take a hike around the league.  It won’t take long before you’ll come across a few idiots popping off & embarrassing themselves & their teams.  Meantime, I’ll sit tight with vanilla boy.  

That’s our QB. 

4 hours ago, O sizzle said:

Aw, wittle play in the sand box flag boy is butt hurt and can't handle criticism. He could have said or indicated something that will get us pumped about next season or the new OC, but enjoy your waste of 30 minutes of reading, that interview was a waste of time. No one said he should be popping off at the mouth, at the same time it would be nice to actually have some content rather than regurgitated old robotic bs. Now get back to fluffing matt, thanks.

LOL....So in other words, you prefer controversial drama out of your QB. I suggest you go become a Steelers or panthers fan then. 

14 hours ago, Cole World said:

Under Dan Quinn, the Falcons have been insistent on maintaining their offensive scheme and asked that Sarkisian adjust to the terminology and style run in Atlanta rather than overhaul things in his own fashion. According to Ryan, that may also be the plan with Koetter.

This is a little strange. 

I was under the impression Koetter is coming in to completely run the offense, not to be under the same guidelines as Sark.  

Quinn should say to Koetter, here's the keys, and then step out of the way.

Why else do you make the change?

TheFalcoholic likes this

2 minutes ago, O sizzle said:

Your suggestion is inconsequential, you go be a stealers fan since its on your mind lol. Where did I say I prefer drama? Reading comprehension can be your friend.

Poor baby. Don’t like MRs personality like it’s his job to get you pumped by the way he handles interviews.  Smh.

2 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

If the various rageposters don't stop their squabbling, they're both going to take a time out. 

@O sizzle that means you. 

I’ll refrain.  Sorry for the side show Larry.

1 hour ago, octoslash said:

This is a little strange. 

I was under the impression Koetter is coming in to completely run the offense, not to be under the same guidelines as Sark.  

Quinn should say to Koetter, here's the keys, and then step out of the way.

Why else do you make the change?

It's pretty clear that terminology and perhaps continued focus on zone blocking are the things remaining the same.  They didn't hire Koetter to run someone else's playbook according to someone else's philosophy.  He'll take what is useful and discard the rest (most of it is useful, and the difference will be in how he uses it).  

Very Jeet Kune Do, is what I'd expect.  Sark didn't run Shanahan's offense either.  That's pretty clear just from watching the games and looking at tendencies.  When's the last time we ran 13 personnel?  I'd wager if not 2016, it was a long time ago and we didn't do it very much.  I don't remember the last time we hit a TE on that little angle route on 3rd and short.  Shanahan did that all the time.  Read option?  Nah, we quit doing a lot of that too.

Koetter will do his thing.  Don't sweat it.  They just don't want to have a huge install of terminology and new plays, so he's going to come in and use the terminology we use now.  Not a huge deal (though as I've said, I'd prefer Koetter use his own terminology).

Ergo Proxy and octoslash like this

13 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

If the various rageposters don't stop their squabbling, they're both going to take a time out. 

@O sizzle that means you. 

sorry bro, just saying the interview was boring and he got mad. Don't see how that's my fault.

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

It's pretty clear that terminology and perhaps continued focus on zone blocking are the things remaining the same.  They didn't hire Koetter to run someone else's playbook according to someone else's philosophy.  He'll take what is useful and discard the rest (most of it is useful, and the difference will be in how he uses it).  

Very Jeet Kune Do, is what I'd expect.  Sark didn't run Shanahan's offense either.  That's pretty clear just from watching the games and looking at tendencies.  When's the last time we ran 13 personnel?  I'd wager if not 2016, it was a long time ago and we didn't do it very much.  I don't remember the last time we hit a TE on that little angle route on 3rd and short.  Shanahan did that all the time.  Read option?  Nah, we quit doing a lot of that too.

Koetter will do his thing.  Don't sweat it.  They just don't want to have a huge install of terminology and new plays, so he's going to come in and use the terminology we use now.  Not a huge deal (though as I've said, I'd prefer Koetter use his own terminology).

As long as Ryan has more at-the-line say, and we run more no huddle, I'll be satisfied...it'll be all about execution then. 

Ergo Proxy, Sterling and JDaveG like this

4 minutes ago, octoslash said:

As long as Ryan has more at-the-line say, and we run more no huddle, I'll be satisfied...it'll be all about execution then. 

That's definitely going to happen.  Koetter always did both of those things when he was here.  Quinn will ensure we don't let tempo override clock control, but beyond that, I expect to see more of both.

14 hours ago, AtlantaFanatic said:

Going to have to disagree. Maybe Mularky and Koetter ran similar systems anyway. Do you really think Koetter will take this job and just run the same plays that havent worked for 2 years?

It seems that he means the actual words will stay the same just with Koetters plays. That way players don't have to adjust to both new plays AND new language calling those new plays. 

LOL. I mean the hyperbole that goes around this board is stupifying. 

You can have the same terminology and run different systems.  They are not interdependent.  Koetter runs a 4 vert system and inside (and some outside) zone running with a lot of elements of power runs too.  Shanny ran a semi-west coast style which is predicated by using the short pass to set-up the run and deep passing game.  Koetter's 4 vert relies on running receivers deep to set-up underneath passing and the use of a run game (albeit from power, inside or outside zone) to set up deep and intermediate passing.  Fundimentally, Shannahan and Koetter run somewhat opposite systems if you think about it, but it's about what you call and when.  They could theoretically run the same exact plays in different order and meet their philosophical needs for the offense.

Sark on the other hand.  I don't think he had a philosophy.  More like eenie meenie miney moe, run this play.

Dirtybird56 likes this

5 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

You can have the same terminology and run different systems.  They are not interdependent.  Koetter runs a 4 vert system and inside (and some outside) zone running with a lot of elements of power runs too.  Shanny ran a semi-west coast style which is predicated by using the short pass to set-up the run and deep passing game.  Koetter's 4 vert relies on running receivers deep to set-up underneath passing and the use of a run game (albeit from power, inside or outside zone) to set up deep and intermediate passing.  Fundimentally, Shannahan and Koetter run somewhat opposite systems if you think about it, but it's about what you call and when.  They could theoretically run the same exact plays in different order and meet their philosophical needs for the offense.

Sark on the other hand.  I don't think he had a philosophy.  More like eenie meenie miney moe, run this play.

FWIW, Koetter runs a Coryell system.  He uses the 4 verticals passing concept a lot, but Shanahan does too, as does Payton (another WCO guy).

But the Coryell system does, as you say, stretch the field vertically to open up the underneath game.

I don't know wtf Sark was running. Whatever it was was boring but Matt's kinda boring too so maybe that's why they got along idk. But once the screen game left, the hot routes became predictable, the rpo disappeared and the hb tosses start being called in abundance I was completely done. Wait, let me rephrase that: I was completely floored. Night and day from what we'd seen in 2016. I only saw Sark run Shanny's actual style of playcalling in a handful of games other than that he was pedestrian at best. DK should easily outproduce Sark regardless of terminology. He's familiar with both inside and outside zone as well as rolling out of two TE big sets. 2016 set a precedence. Add your own flavor DK but stick to the script man it works.

Edited by Hurry_Up_And_Buy

16 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

Ryan like everyone haha. Man is Mr. PC. So excited to have DK back. We don’t need a Shanny offense. We just need a solid offense for when DQ finally brings us that top D. 

Now to get a line that can block for throws down the field....

NeonDeion likes this

17 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

Ryan like everyone haha. Man is Mr. PC. 

15 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Matt is most PC player on this team. Not saying he didn’t like Sark but even if he didn’t, he would say good things.

Yep. The most boring interview in the NFL. 

NeonDeion likes this

21 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

If you asked Matt if he preferred apples or oranges he'd probably give an overview of the benefits of both to avoid hurting their feelings

"Vitamin C is great, everyone knows that. But who doesn't love Vitamin A? At the end of the day, it's all about nutrients, and if we go out there and eat the way I know we're capable of, then nothing can stop us"

4 hours ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

I don't know wtf Sark was running. Whatever it was was boring but Matt's kinda boring too so maybe that's why they got along idk. But once the screen game left, the hot routes became predictable, the rpo disappeared and the hb tosses start being called in abundance I was completely done. Wait, let me rephrase that: I was completely floored. Night and day from what we'd seen in 2016. I only saw Sark run Shanny's actual style of playcalling in a handful of games other than that he was pedestrian at best. DK should easily outproduce Sark regardless of terminology. He's familiar with both inside and outside zone as well as rolling out of two TE big sets. 2016 set a precedence. Add your own flavor DK but stick to the script man it works.

DK isn't going to run anybody else's offense. The guy has been running offenses since before Shanny got out of diapers. He knows what he's doing, and he doesn't need to follow someone else's script.  SMH

4 hours ago, runshoot said:

LOL. I mean the hyperbole that goes around this board is stupifying. 

Not sure why your laughing so hard. Hyperbole is a great tool to get your point across. I was being told something rediculous (that "terminology" meant that he was just going to try and run Shanahans system) so I used hyperbole to equal the rediculousness. Language is fun!

8 hours ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

He had some nice designs on some of the stuff he ran and he had stretches where he called very nice sequences... overall though, he was outmatched in the strategy department for sure. 

8 hours ago, kschreck said:

Now to get a line that can block for throws down the field....

Yeah if we spend our entire draft on OL to see what sticks you won’t hear me complain. 

When I was growing up I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.  Matt Ryan must have been taught the same thing when he was growing up.  I always thought that was a good advice.  Too bad I don't hear that being reference much anymore though.  

I find it funny that Matt is considered boring and that's a bad thing for some, but what about guys like Brees and Luck?

I mean what do QBs like them do off the field that's so much more exciting than what Matt does? You want him to be like Jay Cutler or Winston? No thanks...

11 hours ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

7 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

If you asked Matt if he preferred apples or oranges he'd probably give an overview of the benefits of both to avoid hurting their feelings

12 hours ago, Dutty Ole Bird said:

sorry bro, just saying the interview was boring and he got mad. Don't see how that's my fault.

I suspect Matt Ryan speaks his mind on the field and in team meetings. Dan Quinn once referred to Matt as a wolf when asked about Matt Ryan behind the scenes.