HolyMoses

MLS Champions Thread (Isn’t It about time?)

220 posts in this topic

I could’ve call this the Atlanta United thread, but that would’ve been redundant, wouldn’t it? 

Remarkable that an Arthur Blank owned team website would not have an Arthur Blank owned team thread in it.   But  I don’t see a “PGA superstore thread“ either.   

Breaking: Atlanta United, Newcastle agree to terms on Almiron

My cousin said that the united will get a $27 million transfer fee, which sounds pretty good. 

Pity Almiron is gone. 

But...

Pity Martinez is here.  

This will do wonders for the South American pipeline. Longterm depends largely on how well Miggy does in Newcastle (not an easy place to play, far from thier glory days the owner sucks, this fee is a record for them too)

8 minutes ago, AF89 said:

This will do wonders for the South American pipeline. Longterm depends largely on how well Miggy does in Newcastle (not an easy place to play, far from thier glory days the owner sucks, this fee is a record for them too)

Wasn’t Tata  instrumental in the south American connection? Was the Pity signing already in place or is this a positive sign that the pipeline will continue to Atlanta in Tata’s absence?

15 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

Wasn’t Tata  instrumental in the south American connection? Was the Pity signing already in place or is this a positive sign that the pipeline will continue to Atlanta in Tata’s absence?

That remains to be seen but Tata had no contact with Pity as far as we l know. He didn't even come into the picture till long after it was apparent Tata was leaving. Rather all sources credit LGP with recruiting Pity, telling him how great a place to live Atlanta was.

Also not for nothing but our new coach is Barcelona royalty (something that carry's weight in South America where ever kid dreams of moving on to Madrid or Barca) and is fluid in Spanish.

HolyMoses likes this

5 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Also not for nothing but our new coach is Barcelona royalty (something that carry's weight in South America where ever kid dreams of moving on to Madrid or Barca) and is fluid in Spanish.

Of course he's something also of a notorious villain too lol, he made a long ball that knocked a legendary Argentina team out of the world cup in the 90s. One of our players can't remember if it was Tito or LGP talked about how that play De Boer was involved in made his brother break down and cry. 

HolyMoses likes this

Looks like the 5 stripes are shelved for now

Edit: I'm not particularly entralled overall but that 17 logo in the Georgia patch if that's what that is nice

So how big was the sell of Almiron?

Atlanta United in only 2 years has sold the most for $$ than any other club in league history.  (And it's like 2 players)

Yes I'm talking gross total, All time. We move ahead of New York by a bout a million

On 1/29/2019 at 11:52 PM, AF89 said:

Looks like the 5 stripes are shelved for now

Edit: I'm not particularly entralled overall but that 17 logo in the Georgia patch if that's what that is nice

Looks like the red and black version of a Newcastle jersey. Coincidence?

On 1/29/2019 at 1:32 PM, HolyMoses said:

Breaking: Atlanta United, Newcastle agree to terms on Almiron

My cousin said that the united will get a $27 million transfer fee, which sounds pretty good. 

Pity Almiron is gone. 

But...

Pity Martinez is here.  

Martinez isnt going to replace that void completely.

31 minutes ago, Forever Julian said:

Martinez isnt going to replace that void completely.

I mean on paper..and I can't stress the paper part enough, we Atlantans are the all time paper champs after all but on paper.... Pity is an upgrade (we're talking the  conmebol player of the year on the libertadores champion)

That said they may try to play Barco at the 10 if he can ever settle in, stick Pity on the wing.

Forever Julian and HolyMoses like this

5 hours ago, HolyMoses said:

Massive price difference between the two.

Of course the other side of that coin, the MLS Cup Final also had actual "common" fans of the teams playing in attendance rather than corporate attendees and whales.

HolyMoses likes this

6 hours ago, Porkins said:

Massive price difference between the two.

Of course the other side of that coin, the MLS Cup Final also had actual "common" fans of the teams playing in attendance rather than corporate attendees and whales.

Was watching Fox5 after the game and they did a live look at the GCC Marta station (and I'll grant you the Lombardi trophy had only just been handed out so I'm sure it increased ) but it was pretty sparse. It felt like a good representation of who actually attends the superbowl,.  By contrast I used that same station after the MLS final and I could barely move for room.

It's such an globally elite crowd. As I was having this convo thru text with my mom last night she was quick to point out that she and my dad attended the 98 superbowl.  I responded yeah because they won a ticket contest, they were mearly peasants allowed into castle or a short time. My father always pointed out how many of the folks they sat with and talked too barely even knew the rules of the game. We're talking German business men, Saudi oil VIPs etc etc. As i pointed out to Gritzblitz last night they are the powdered wig people from hunger games.

And this superbowl was probably particularly well to do. I can't imagine thier were alot of lifelong ram fans willing to take out a second mortgage for this and Jimmy O'Halloran of South Boston who makes 50k a year,  blew his load 3 superbowls ago.

Porkins and HolyMoses like this

So . . . The off season is already over.  The United play tomorrow night at 10:00. in the prestigious(?)  COVFEFE tournament.  

The stadium in Costa Rica seats around 8,700. Very few will be wearing Atlanta United’s red and black.

The venue opened in 1951, making it 66 years older than Atlanta United’s home of Mercedes-Benz Stadium. 

The turf will be very hard, which can cause the ball to take odd bounces.

The lighting is equivalent to that of a local recreation center.

De Boer, who has never played or coached in Central America, and his staff spoke to the players on Tuesday about what to expect.

“It’s a new experience,” he said. “I said to the players, the circumstances at Herediano are different, unlike in our stadium. They are more used to it than us. We have to adapt to those circumstances. I think they are ready.”

And Herediano will likely come out with intensity similar to Houston in last year’s disastrous opener, or Red Bulls’ in last year’s dispiriting loss in New Jersey.

If Atlanta United comes out as flat as it did in those games, or as flat as spiraling Toronto did on Tuesday, the Five Stripes could be out of the tournament before they have a chance to host the return leg next week at Kennesaw State.

Parkhurst has experience playing in Central America as a member of the U.S. national team.

He described the region as a “beast.”

Once the games start, salaries don’t matter. Being MLS Cup champs won’t matter. Being the darlings of the league won’t matter.

“People who aren’t used to it think it should easy for the U.S. to qualify, it should be easy for U.S. teams to go to Panama, Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala and beat teams easily,” he said. “It’s just not the case.

“These guys, when the play against U.S. teams, when the play against MLS teams, they play the best games of their lives, they play the best games of their year. They play with passion and pride. If you don’t adapt and you aren’t mentally into it and focused, you can get beaten. It can happen to us. We can go down there and lose.”

Because of the gamesmanship and environment, Larentowicz, who has played friendlies and Champions League games in Central America, said that while you are playing soccer, the factors can make it feel like you are playing a different game. For example, he was once hit by a corn cob thrown by an angry supporter in Honduras.

But, Parkhurst said that’s where the preparation and mentality of Atlanta United’s players should come through.

The team bounced back from that 4-0 loss at Houston in last year’s opener to go unbeaten in its next eight. It bounced back from that loss to Red Bulls to knock them out of the playoffs. It shut out Portland to win the MLS Cup in just its second season.

“Teams are looking to beat you, looking to prove themselves,” Larentowicz said. “That’s the mentality you have to be prepared for.”

Well that was certainly....er Soccer

But pretty part for the course of CONCACAF, bad pitch, weird reffing where they let decapitate your guy one minute can't even step on his shadow a minute later, Herediano fans right on top of the pitch,  the other team a month and a half into thier season clearly in much better form...

This is far from over tho. Could easily win 2-0 in Kennesaw (and for the record I think we do)

HolyMoses likes this

Rocky got better calls in the Soviet Union than Atlanta United is getting from CONCACAF right now.

Otherwise we are rolling them so far

HolyMoses likes this