Dutty Ole Bird

Blank: Falcons gearing up for championship run

46 posts in this topic

Arthur Blank: Falcons in 'good, competitive shape' for Super Bowl run

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2019%2F0128%2Fr494648_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=920&h=518&scale=crop&cquality=80&location=origin

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank, who presented during the Atlanta Super Bowl Host Committee news conference on Monday, said he believes his team will be competitive during the 2019 season. Jason Getz/USA TODAY Sports

Jan 28, 2019
  • mcclure_vaughn.png&w=160&h=160&scale=cro
    Vaughn McClureESPN Staff Writer
    Close
    • Covered Bears for seven seasons at Chicago Tribune
    • Also worked at Chicago Sun-Times, Fresno Bee
    • Honorable mention, Football Writers Association of America for enterprise writing, 2002

ATLANTA -- Falcons owner Arthur Blank would have preferred to see his own team competing inside Atlanta's Mercedes-Benz Stadium this Sunday, but Blank firmly believes a return trip to the Super Bowl could happen sooner than later for the team.

Perhaps even next season.

Asked Monday what it would take for the Falcons to hoist the Lombardi Trophy for the first time, Blank told ESPN, "You don't worry about winning. You worry about getting back, and then you worry about winning.

Best of NFL Nation

r485918_608x342_16-9.jpg

Players who leveled up for all 32 teams
SB journey brings Michel's mom to tears
What to expect from Gurley in Super Bowl
Don't tell Conner he's Steelers' RB of future
Inside Christian McCaffrey's busy offseason
Super Bowl LIII coverage

"We obviously can recover from all these injuries we had this [past] year, which was definitely a factor. And I think the changes with the staff will make a difference. Our activity in free agency and the draft will make a difference. With the quarterback that we have, and the young defensive stars that we have, and some of the talent that we have on offense with Julio [Jones] and [Devonta] Freeman returning, I think we'll be in very good, competitive shape next year. It's a long season, but I like where we are."

The Falcons finished a disappointing 2018 campaign with a 7-9 record, sparking significant changes. Coach Dan Quinn fired offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian, defensive coordinator Marquand Manuel, and special-teams coordinator Keith Armstrong at the end of the season. Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Dirk Koetter returned to the Falcons as offensive coordinator, Quinn appointed himself as the defensive coordinator, and former Washington Redskins special-teams coach Ben Kotwica was hired for the same position in Atlanta. Quinn also hired one-time Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey as the tight-ends coach.

The Falcons' most significant pending free agents are defensive tackle Grady Jarrett and running back Tevin Coleman, although general manager Thomas Dimitroff said re-signing Jarrett is a top priority right now. Keeping Coleman seems unlikely after the Falcons already signed Freeman to a five-year, $41.25 million extension ($22 million guaranteed) through 2022.

Blank emphasized how important it is to have a franchise quarterback in 2016 MVP Matt Ryan, a player he believes is more than capable of leading the Falcons to a title.

"It's hard to win in this league without a franchise quarterback," Blank said. "We think we have one of the best. We couldn't be more excited about that. I love that for 11 years, he's been incredibly consistent. He's a great leader on the field, off the field. He works hard, harder than anybody else. He understands his responsibilities and has developed wonderful leadership skills. And he has all the talent to take us where we need to be."

Blank also expressed firm confidence in Quinn as the 48-year-old heads into his fifth season with a 36-28 overall record and 3-2 playoff mark.

"He's a great leader of men," Blank said of Quinn. "He has a great vision. He's brutally honest with himself and with the staff and the players. He's not going to compromise his values, and he supports the values of the organization. I couldn't be happier having him as our coach."

During a group interview session, the first question asked to Blank was if he was over the Falcons blowing a 28-3 lead in a 34-28 overtime loss to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LI.

"Yes. I've fully recovered from that," Blank told the group. "That's history. So, we've learned from history, we live in the present and we plan for the future."

We'll see if that future includes a Super Bowl title.

3 minutes ago, Tandy said:

I think we might be competitive but I doubt we will be ready for a run.   Changing coaches every couple of years isn't the way to run for the Lombardi.    Hope I'm wrong.

The good news is Our team is used to the more simple O# system that  Dirk  brings to the team,,, That was our downfall this season,, So glad that Blank and TD saw it clearly,, it's not hard to see what our fault was.. in the past before Blank bought the team.. the owners did everything as cheap as they could and also didn't really care enough to do anything about it.

Last thought,, Dan Reeves took the cheapest team in the NFL to the SB,, Why? Because he had a great mind of what it takes to get that far.. And it was this,,, Great OL,, Great RB, Great QB and a great D#  What get me is how he built that team with so little money to work with... If we had Dan running this team of amazing talent... with his simple philosophy,,, we would blow the league away...

12 minutes ago, Tandy said:

I think we might be competitive but I doubt we will be ready for a run.   Changing coaches every couple of years isn't the way to run for the Lombardi.    Hope I'm wrong.

Well, write this down,, we would never make another SB with Sark as OC,, that I can promise you,, I'm just glad TD and Blank knows that.. and they did something about it.. :slick:

james b, citsalp, NeonDeion and 3 others like this

39 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Arthur Blank: Falcons in 'good, competitive shape' for Super Bowl run

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2019%2F0128%2Fr494648_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=920&h=518&scale=crop&cquality=80&location=origin

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank, who presented during the Atlanta Super Bowl Host Committee news conference on Monday, said he believes his team will be competitive during the 2019 season. Jason Getz/USA TODAY Sports

Jan 28, 2019
  • mcclure_vaughn.png&w=160&h=160&scale=cro
    Vaughn McClureESPN Staff Writer
    Close
    • Covered Bears for seven seasons at Chicago Tribune
    • Also worked at Chicago Sun-Times, Fresno Bee
    • Honorable mention, Football Writers Association of America for enterprise writing, 2002

ATLANTA -- Falcons owner Arthur Blank would have preferred to see his own team competing inside Atlanta's Mercedes-Benz Stadium this Sunday, but Blank firmly believes a return trip to the Super Bowl could happen sooner than later for the team.

Perhaps even next season.

Asked Monday what it would take for the Falcons to hoist the Lombardi Trophy for the first time, Blank told ESPN, "You don't worry about winning. You worry about getting back, and then you worry about winning.

Best of NFL Nation

r485918_608x342_16-9.jpg

Players who leveled up for all 32 teams
SB journey brings Michel's mom to tears
What to expect from Gurley in Super Bowl
Don't tell Conner he's Steelers' RB of future
Inside Christian McCaffrey's busy offseason
Super Bowl LIII coverage

"We obviously can recover from all these injuries we had this [past] year, which was definitely a factor. And I think the changes with the staff will make a difference. Our activity in free agency and the draft will make a difference. With the quarterback that we have, and the young defensive stars that we have, and some of the talent that we have on offense with Julio [Jones] and [Devonta] Freeman returning, I think we'll be in very good, competitive shape next year. It's a long season, but I like where we are."

The Falcons finished a disappointing 2018 campaign with a 7-9 record, sparking significant changes. Coach Dan Quinn fired offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian, defensive coordinator Marquand Manuel, and special-teams coordinator Keith Armstrong at the end of the season. Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Dirk Koetter returned to the Falcons as offensive coordinator, Quinn appointed himself as the defensive coordinator, and former Washington Redskins special-teams coach Ben Kotwica was hired for the same position in Atlanta. Quinn also hired one-time Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey as the tight-ends coach.

The Falcons' most significant pending free agents are defensive tackle Grady Jarrett and running back Tevin Coleman, although general manager Thomas Dimitroff said re-signing Jarrett is a top priority right now. Keeping Coleman seems unlikely after the Falcons already signed Freeman to a five-year, $41.25 million extension ($22 million guaranteed) through 2022.

Blank emphasized how important it is to have a franchise quarterback in 2016 MVP Matt Ryan, a player he believes is more than capable of leading the Falcons to a title.

"It's hard to win in this league without a franchise quarterback," Blank said. "We think we have one of the best. We couldn't be more excited about that. I love that for 11 years, he's been incredibly consistent. He's a great leader on the field, off the field. He works hard, harder than anybody else. He understands his responsibilities and has developed wonderful leadership skills. And he has all the talent to take us where we need to be."

Blank also expressed firm confidence in Quinn as the 48-year-old heads into his fifth season with a 36-28 overall record and 3-2 playoff mark.

"He's a great leader of men," Blank said of Quinn. "He has a great vision. He's brutally honest with himself and with the staff and the players. He's not going to compromise his values, and he supports the values of the organization. I couldn't be happier having him as our coach."

During a group interview session, the first question asked to Blank was if he was over the Falcons blowing a 28-3 lead in a 34-28 overtime loss to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LI.

"Yes. I've fully recovered from that," Blank told the group. "That's history. So, we've learned from history, we live in the present and we plan for the future."

We'll see if that future includes a Super Bowl title.

1t40wh.jpg

Dutty Ole Bird likes this

23 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Similar roster as 2018 which was a SB favorite.  Only difference is significant upgrades at DC, OC & ST ‘s

We are + 3,000 to win it.  Take the odds if you can afford to spend $1,000

Also +2000 to be NFC Champs, a much more likely win. 

This is what I like to hear Blank, now go do it. I think we will have a deep deep push in the playoffs next year.I think we will address some of the missing pieces via the draft and free agency. Blank has tasted success with the United, so now he is expecting it for the Falcons. 

octoslash and Atl Falcon like this

1 hour ago, Tandy said:

I don't think this is a normal change, though.  Whether Koetter is running his own system or working in a lot of our present concepts, he is a known quantity and Ryan works well with him.  Quinn is taking over the defense, which can only improve it IMHO.  And it's long past time for Armstrong to be gone.

I'm not saying 2019 is our year.  But it certainly could be.  In a sense you have to get lucky with injuries and catch lightning in a bottle by getting hot at the right time.  But that can happen any year, and so why not this one?

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

I don't think this is a normal change, though.  Whether Koetter is running his own system or working in a lot of our present concepts, he is a known quantity and Ryan works well with him.  Quinn is taking over the defense, which can only improve it IMHO.  And it's long past time for Armstrong to be gone.

I'm not saying 2019 is our year.  But it certainly could be.  In a sense you have to get lucky with injuries and catch lightning in a bottle by getting hot at the right time.  But that can happen any year, and so why not this one?

Good post, and I agree.

JDaveG likes this

Competitive? Kinda like how Taco Bell says they offer “competitive wages”? I’m at the point where I have no optimism with this team, whatsoever. I’ll believe it when I see it. Guess I’m getting old.

**** a cheesy gordita crunch sounds good

3 hours ago, osiruz said:

TBH we are all still grieving from that loss, that was supposed to be our win and Shanny mucked it up.

Yep, it's crazy how amazingly dominant through the entire playoffs we were. We dismantled Seattle, then completely destroyed GB in a way I've never seen the Falcons destroy anyone. Then we destroyed New England for 40 minutes or w/e. If Shanny does the right thing, Matty goes down as having the most epic playoff run for a QB ever, his numbers are still historical for the entire run.

2 minutes ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

Yep, it's crazy how amazingly dominant through the entire playoffs we were. We dismantled Seattle, then completely destroyed GB in a way I've never seen the Falcons destroy anyone. Then we destroyed New England for 40 minutes or w/e. If Shanny does the right thing, Matty goes down as having the most epic playoff run for a QB ever, his numbers are still historical for the entire run.

Yep, **** Shanny. He does the right thing the Falcons fans could have been celebrating that first Lombardi. 

Just now, osiruz said:

Should've ran the fkin ball and got an FG. Embrace the suck :argh:!

I know, every fan in the world knew that, but our staff didn't. I have a strong feeling we will get there again in the next couple of seasons, and trust me I am never optimistic with this team.