Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cole World

Adam Schefter asked Thomas Dimitroff on his podcast

73 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

While OL is a priority I hope TD does not forget about the DL. OL and DL should pretty much have the same priority

its just upsetting this seems to be the priority every ******* year

RoddyWhite84 likes this

31 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Unfortunately that is something that most NFL teams have to deal with... lack of depth across the offensive line is a concern in the NFL simply because it is taking 2 and 3 years or more for guys to learn how to be a lineman at this level.

Is honestly a struggle to field 5 starting-caliber offensive linemen... much less having seven or eight on your roster.

My fear is that we will try to overcompensate for that and use too many resources at trying to fill the the line and the depth ignoring other areas of need.

Thank you. People act like there isn't a large OL talent deficit in the league. People only watch the Falcons on Sunday and know nothing else. Guys who struggled early developed and learned later on. Juwaun James is a prime example of that. Mark Glowinski is another example of that. HeIl, even Sambrailo is an example based on his game vs Vic compared to this season. And there is no guarantee the development happens. College OL aren't translating like they used to because they basically aren't getting any proper coaching after high school. 

TNFalcon1 and HouseofEuphoria like this

2 hours ago, Stryka said:

Its not new information. We have been working on protecting Ryan for a long time.  Unfortunate things keep happening. Levitre and Fusco injured, Schrader turned into a turnstile.  Mack too a step back on pass pro(probably more related to the OGs around him).  Either way we took a hit. 

I think we need to address both G spots and RT via FA and draft.  Cant fix all of em in 1 spot.

Also letting Dimacro and Toilolo walk hurt the OL even though both those people aren't officially a part of the OL. TD and the coaching staff seem to have issues evaluating OL talent and pieces that help the OL

HouseofEuphoria and Stryka like this

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

We have been picking Defense for ever in draft except for couple of WR and occasional OL.

Oh well you keep picking defense till you get it right, we were giving up over 30 points a game for most of this season. Having a stout DL would have made losing our secondary and LB players much easier.

I don't care how many D and OL picks TD has picked in the past, those picks did not work and you must keep trying until you get both the DL and OL adequate long term.

Stryka likes this

34 minutes ago, vel said:

I love how people act like TD has been ignoring the OL in recent years. The man went and got Andy and Mack when they had the capital to do so. When they didn't, he did what he could (Fusco). This isn't 2013-14. Since DQ got here, the OL was built up. It got old and injured very fast. Nobody foresaw Schraeder falling off a cliff and Fusco breaking his ankle but go ahead and act like you did...

Who cares? I don't care if TD spent every draft pick and FA move getting OL in the past, the results have sucked and it needs to be addressed again. TD has shown a real problem in evaluating OL talent in the draft and free agency. Either fire him or keep trying until we get it right long term.

Results are key and we still have a bad OL no matter how much TD has tried int he past.

37 minutes ago, vel said:

Thank you. People act like there isn't a large OL talent deficit in the league. People only watch the Falcons on Sunday and know nothing else. Guys who struggled early developed and learned later on. Juwaun James is a prime example of that. Mark Glowinski is another example of that. HeIl, even Sambrailo is an example based on his game vs Vic compared to this season. And there is no guarantee the development happens. College OL aren't translating like they used to because they basically aren't getting any proper coaching after high school. 

I don't disagree with any of that except in this particular:  the more difficult it is to find quality players at a position, the more that position should be a premium for draft/FA capital.  If it's hard to find good o-linemen, then you have to make a bigger effort to find good ones for your team.

40 minutes ago, Romfal said:

its just upsetting this seems to be the priority every ******* year

Our front office sucks at evaluating OL talent, going to be a problem every year until they make sure and make a continual priority

40 minutes ago, vel said:

Don't care, Ryan was sacked 42 times last year, when that happens you fix the **** OL, if it happens every year you keep trying to fix it. Nothing matters but results

This may not be the most popular thing to do but my strategy on the offensive side of the ball (O-line) would be to let Sambrailo test the market and see his worth. I don't think teams will be running to sign him so we can get a better deal once he realizes this (1yr deal at the most).

Then for Ryan Schraeder, yes I know his play has fallen off, but I would restructure his contract. He is due to make $7.35M this season and is still guaranteed 3.8M in bonuses spread-out over the next 3yrs. Regardless if we cut him or not we are on the hook for $3.8M. Why not frontload the $3.8M to this season (2019) and let that be his salary. We will still save $3M+ and have a body in the event Sambrailo suffers a injury. I know 3.8M is a lot for a back-up but we just paid Garland 3M last season to do the same.

Schraeder and Sambrailo can battle it out during camp.

In FA target Saffold or Spain (LG) and in the draft look at Jenkins, Risner, or Lindstrom (RG) as possible 2nd rounder's.

1 hour ago, vel said:

Not to mention all the quick throw, spread offenses. Just like QBs, less OL players are ready for the jump to NFL.

vel likes this

2 hours ago, Caddieman said:

I think you’re wrong, sort of. Our first four picks should go to both lines.......unless we get a stud FA on the line some where. Then I agree first three rounds.

Naah, even with FA stud, go first four, need a lot of young talent on both sides

1 hour ago, octoslash said:

Our O line is in much worse shape than the D line. 

Without a major upgrade, might as well just get ready for another 7-9 or 8-8.

With that upgrade, they'll back in the playoff for another deep run.

Well ,, DL is very deep in this draft.. at first look , I thought we should grab a great DE in the first rd and a DT in the second where there will still be a first rd like talent because of the strength of the DTs in this draft.. But now i think this post is correct.. I now have reallized it.. we do need to take the best OL available with our first pick... In this draft the top OL will probably still be on the board because of all the great DL in this draft... we could pick up the best OL at 14 and that may be the very first OL taken in this DL loaded draft ... And because of the depth of the DL we can still get a great one in the 2nd and 3rd rounds,, hopefully that will be a DE in the 2nd and a DT in the 3rd rounds..    

Yeap !!  The mud puddle is starting to clear...  1. Best available OL ,, 2. Best available DE,, 3. Best available DT,, 4. Best available OL ,,, 5. BA CB.... 6, BA S,  7. BA player  ,, JMO.... This could change after FA pick ups..of course ...

38 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Also letting Dimacro and Toilolo walk hurt the OL even though both those people aren't officially a part of the OL. TD and the coaching staff seem to have issues evaluating OL talent and pieces that help the OL

Yea I mean those were related to scheme change somewhat and then money as well.  I wouldnt mind having both back on cheap deals. They did wonders for the run game and Toilolo was just graded best blocking TE by PFF(if you die by stats)lol.  The OL needs to be self sufficient though.  Ryan needs to be able to drop back and have his 5 block at least 4 defenders consistently. 

6 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I don't disagree with any of that except in this particular:  the more difficult it is to find quality players at a position, the more that position should be a premium for draft/FA capital.  If it's hard to find good o-linemen, then you have to make a bigger effort to find good ones for your team.

I agree. But let's be real, when he added Andy, it was a smart move and the OL was "set" based on his trust in his OC. DQ's first year as HC. The only issue was Person, who isn't a center. The next year, what did he do? Add Alex Mack and made him the highest paid center in football. Again, at that point the OL was set and we went to the SB because of it. Neither of those years is anybody complaining about the draft classes we had because they addressed more pressing needs. Invest premium capital in Andy and Mack in back to back years, solidifying the OL. Even added stable Chester.

Look at the 2015 and 2016 draft classes:

Vic
Collins
Coleman
Hardy
Jarrett
Neal
Debo
Campbell
Hooper
Schweitzer

Who are you trading in for a depth player? All of those guys played large roles on this team those first two years. Schweitzer was a 6th rounder. 2017 they added Harlow in the 4th, which with Schweitzer should have given you depth at both OG spots. I think the part that is constantly ignored is the development part. It's not a guarantee. But saying they ignored the spot or they should have done more is pure speculation in my opinion. The opportunities they had, they did. 

29 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Don't care, Ryan was sacked 42 times last year, when that happens you fix the **** OL, if it happens every year you keep trying to fix it. Nothing matters but results

He was hit a ton in 2016 and went to the SB. Not a good stat to judge OL unless you're saying they sucked then too...

2 hours ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Seriously. The lines haven't been properly addressed in years. It's well past time to do something about it.

I know, and this is all we have been hearing for years. But Ryan is still running for his life. 

BoomGoesTheDynamite likes this

6 minutes ago, vel said:

I agree. But let's be real, when he added Andy, it was a smart move and the OL was "set" based on his trust in his OC. DQ's first year as HC. The only issue was Person, who isn't a center. The next year, what did he do? Add Alex Mack and made him the highest paid center in football. Again, at that point the OL was set and we went to the SB because of it. Neither of those years is anybody complaining about the draft classes we had because they addressed more pressing needs. Invest premium capital in Andy and Mack in back to back years, solidifying the OL. Even added stable Chester.

Look at the 2015 and 2016 draft classes:

Vic
Collins
Coleman
Hardy
Jarrett
Neal
Debo
Campbell
Hooper
Schweitzer

Who are you trading in for a depth player? All of those guys played large roles on this team those first two years. Schweitzer was a 6th rounder. 2017 they added Harlow in the 4th, which with Schweitzer should have given you depth at both OG spots. I think the part that is constantly ignored is the development part. It's not a guarantee. But saying they ignored the spot or they should have done more is pure speculation in my opinion. The opportunities they had, they did. 

I think when you look at the fact that under Quinn, we've drafted as many running backs (4 at most on the roster at a time including the FB, 1 starter or 2 platoons) as o-linemen (7 on the roster last season, 5 starters), it's fair to say we've underinvested in o-line in the draft.  Granted, we've spent more FA capital on that position, but I would suggest not nearly as much as we should.

Finding a RB steal in the 4th is way easier than finding a good o-linemen there.  And the 4th is the highest we've drafted any o-lineman since 2014.

10 minutes ago, vel said:

He was hit a ton in 2016 and went to the SB. Not a good stat to judge OL unless you're saying they sucked then too...

You're being stupid, OL is Top priority along with DL, you'd have to be ignorant not to see that

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Don't forget about the trade route. It is absolutely legal to trade picks for established vets that can hit the ground running. See Abe, TonyG, Rison, Asante, Hinton, Levitre, Foxy, etc.

Patriots win SB’s by trading picks for RFA’s.  They also are clever in trades.  Beauty of trades is you only have to pay the base salary.  The other team is stuck with the signing bonus

10 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I think when you look at the fact that under Quinn, we've drafted as many running backs (4 at most on the roster at a time including the FB, 1 starter or 2 platoons) as o-linemen (7 on the roster last season, 5 starters), it's fair to say we've underinvested in o-line in the draft.  Granted, we've spent more FA capital on that position, but I would suggest not nearly as much as we should.

Finding a RB steal in the 4th is way easier than finding a good o-linemen there.  And the 4th is the highest we've drafted any o-lineman since 2014.

Agreed. But are you spending a top 100 pick on an OL that's going to sit on the bench for years? That's the other part of the equation that is being ignored. After 2016, you had bookend OTs in Jake and Schraeder and a stud center in Mack with a steady LG in Andy. You had one hole, which you expected Wes to step in after developing as depth or Garland at worst. OL don't rotate, so spending a top 100 pick on a player that nobody expected to see snaps would have been a poor use of capital. 

I disagree that they under invested. At least intentionally like some act like they have. Nobody knew Andy was going to tear his triceps twice. Nobody knew Schraeder peaked in 2016. Nobody knew Fusco was going to break his ankle. At least they had a guy like Sambrailo who could step in. I think a lot of it is revisionist and not truly looking at the situation at the time decisions were made. 

4 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

You're being stupid, OL is Top priority along with DL, you'd have to be ignorant not to see that

Tell me where I said it wasn't.... Go ahead and find that post. 

jfalconsp, kiwifalcon, Vandy and 1 other like this

9 minutes ago, vel said:

Agreed. But are you spending a top 100 pick on an OL that's going to sit on the bench for years? That's the other part of the equation that is being ignored. After 2016, you had bookend OTs in Jake and Schraeder and a stud center in Mack with a steady LG in Andy. You had one hole, which you expected Wes to step in after developing as depth or Garland at worst. OL don't rotate, so spending a top 100 pick on a player that nobody expected to see snaps would have been a poor use of capital. 

I disagree that they under invested. At least intentionally like some act like they have. Nobody knew Andy was going to tear his triceps twice. Nobody knew Schraeder peaked in 2016. Nobody knew Fusco was going to break his ankle. At least they had a guy like Sambrailo who could step in. I think a lot of it is revisionist and not truly looking at the situation at the time decisions were made. 

I think that's fair, and a good distinction, because your 3rd RB will see relatively significant snaps, whereas your 7th OL you hope never sees the field.

I guess the concern I have is simply this -- recent past being indicative or not, the Falcons have historically under-drafted OL, and sought to fill those holes in FA.  I think it's clear by now that this works for a couple of years and then you begin to have issues.  I'd much rather be one of those teams that invests more capital in the position and moves on from players than what we are, which is a team that invests less draft capital and is constantly paying older FAs on the backside of their careers.

1 hour ago, vel said:

The problem is that the public think that football is just plug and play like madden as far as personnel is concerned. OL couldn't be further from that. It seems that skill positions are an easier evaluation and translate better from college to pro. (Outside of maybe QB) Seems counterintuitive but it is what it is.

vel likes this

2 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Honestly it doesn't even need to be a major upgrade.... if the right side of the offensive line was even average we would have won another two or three games.

True and I honest think if we address this issue, we can make a deep push in the playoffs. 

falconsd56 likes this

1 hour ago, MAD597 said:

Who cares? I don't care if TD spent every draft pick and FA move getting OL in the past, the results have sucked and it needs to be addressed again. TD has shown a real problem in evaluating OL talent in the draft and free agency. Either fire him or keep trying until we get it right long term.

Results are key and we still have a bad OL no matter how much TD has tried int he past.

Missed the point as usual it’s a league wide problem.

Did you even read Falconaide or Vels posts at all.