Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
No.11

Could Matt Ryan thrive under Bill Belichick?

123 posts in this topic

I've heard or read these comments all too often:

"If Brady went anywhere else he wouldn't be as successful."

"If [insert QBs name] played for Bill Belichick in New England he'd have the same success as Brady, if not more."

It's no secret that Bill Belichick runs a tight ship. He's detailed, methodical, and he demands the absolute best from his staff and players. Looking at it from the outside in, it looks like a dream situation to be in. But is it true that any QB would last or be successful in an organization that operates like West Point? 

I saw this video, and I wonder if Ryan could thrive under Belichick. 

egoprime II likes this

Probably - he's had a lot of different coaches - and seems to do well with them.   Haven't heard of any he really had problems with.   There is a learning curve with any new coach and system - but he's a hard worker and willing to learn - so I think he'd thrive.

I'm not saying he'd be Brady or anything - just that I think he'd adapt and thrive as he has with his other coaches.

I suspect Ryan would have won 3 of the 5 SB’s if he were on the Patriots.  I can’t give him Rams as a 1st year starter and 28-3 belongs to one QB

54 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

"Could a perennial top 10 QB thrive under the greatest head coach of all-time?"

hint: the answer isn't no

If you watched the video, it's not about the stats and accolades. Rodgers has all the silverware--2x NFL MVP, Super Bowl MVP, etc...The author of the video frankly dismissed all of that and said nah, he couldn't handle Belichick, and I'm inclined to agree with him. Belichick couldn't careless what your stats are--if you screw up, he's gonna call and chew your *** out. Could Ryan handle that? Probably. I haven't heard or seen anything to suggest otherwise.

Just now, JerseyNo12 said:

If you watched the video, it's not about the stats and accolades. Rodgers has all the silverware--2x NFL MVP, Super Bowl MVP, etc...The author of the video frankly dismissed all of that and said nah, he couldn't handle Belichick. Belichick couldn't careless what your stats are--if you screw up, he's gonna call and chew your *** out.

Do you think Ryan couldn't handle Bill? I really don't see Ryan having a single issue with an authoritarian coach at all.

Ergo Proxy and Vandy like this

Hard to speculate.  However, we have a pretty good idea of who Belichick is, and who Ryan is.  I think that it's easy to say that Belichick/Ryan would have been very successful.  I don't know about 5 Superbowls, but Ryan seems to have exactly the kind of work ethic, competitiveness, and consistency that Belichick is looking for.

NeonDeion likes this

4 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Do you think Ryan couldn't handle Bill? I really don't see Ryan having a single issue with an authoritarian coach at all.

Edited my post.

6 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

If you watched the video, it's not about the stats and accolades. Rodgers has all the silverware--2x NFL MVP, Super Bowl MVP, etc...The author of the video frankly dismissed all of that and said nah, he couldn't handle Belichick, and I'm inclined to agree with him. Belichick couldn't careless what your stats are--if you screw up, he's gonna call and chew your *** out. Could Ryan handle that? Probably. I haven't heard or seen anything to suggest otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Yes of course. If Brady were a Brown, he wouldn't be Brady. Same goes for a lot of QBs. 

But how many QBs could mesh with Belichick like Brady has for 18 years? I'm not even sure Peyton Manning and Belichick would have gotten along well, because he had an ego about himself too.

Yes.... If Ryan was with BB and spent his entire career in the same system, like Brady has, Ryan would have a bunch of Rings too. Can't assume the same number, may have more or less, and no you can't assume less because Brady is the goat. Because if Brady is on the Falcons, he's laughed at like Ryan , and not the goat. Who knows what would've happened, but Ryan would definitely have multiple rings and would have done fine.

Jen likes this

Ryan’s losing stats were better than Brady’s winning stats this year. With the better defenses Brady always has, and the best second half adjustments in the league, Ryan would match or exceed Brady. Ryan didn’t have half of the quality of offensive line play as Brady has had all of his career, and when has Ryan had the almost yearly top ten defenses Brady has had? Ryan outclasses Brady, lately and especially in postseason play. The years Ryan struggled, he still played well, and had a terrible offensive line to help him greatly. 

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I suspect Ryan would have won 3 of the 5 SB’s if he were on the Patriots.  I can’t give him Rams as a 1st year starter and 28-3 belongs to one QB

Ryan has better playoff stats than Brady but his team is not as successful as Brady.  Ryan had a 144 QB Rating and 0 TO in the SB which is almost perfect and still loss to Brady who had a 95 QB Rating and 1 Int.  I think it's pretty clear which QB is winning more because on the team that he is on.

NeonDeion and Deadmeat like this

30 minutes ago, robertap said:

Hard to speculate.  However, we have a pretty good idea of who Belichick is, and who Ryan is.  I think that it's easy to say that Belichick/Ryan would have been very successful.  I don't know about 5 Superbowls, but Ryan seems to have exactly the kind of work ethic, competitiveness, and consistency that Belichick is looking for.

I'd venture to say Ryan would have 5 or more Super Bowls with Belichick. 

Ryan has been remarkably consistent and has continued to elevate his game throughout his career despite roster turnover and having played on some really bad teams. 

Ryan's competitiveness, work ethic, and willingness to be coached hard and improve (which has been evident throughout his career) with BB's acumen and coaching ability I think would have yielded just about the same results. Ryan and Brady are cut from the same mold, except Ryan is slightly more athletic.

NeonDeion likes this

Better question is..,could the Falcons win with BB? I don’t know if Arthur would separate himself from the team and let BB and his mentions cheat their way to the trophy.  

2 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Yes of course. If Brady were a Brown, he wouldn't be Brady. Same goes for a lot of QBs. 

Baker Mayfield is pulling the Browns out of the darkness.  You telling me Brady couldn’t?

1 hour ago, JerseyNo12 said:

I'd venture to say Ryan would have 5 or more Super Bowls with Belichick. 

Ryan has been remarkably consistent and has continued to elevate his game throughout his career despite roster turnover and having played on some really bad teams. 

Ryan's competitiveness, work ethic, and willingness to be coached hard and improve (which has been evident throughout his career) with BB's acumen and coaching ability I think would have yielded just about the same results. Ryan and Brady are cut from the same mold, except Ryan is slightly more athletic.

Ryan would have more than Brady?  Come on now...lol.  No chance.  

People always sell Brady short.  Belichick has won squat without him.  I think people minimize Tom Brady greatness because he is not a great athlete...but at the same time he is the 2nd best athlete of this century, behind LeBron.  And even that’s debatable

Vandy likes this

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Baker Mayfield is pulling the Browns out of the darkness.  You telling me Brady couldn’t?

I wouldn’t jump the gun on that one yet. And don’t forget Bill was the HC of the Browns and was shown the door himself. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

3 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

"Could a perennial top 10 QB thrive under the greatest head coach of all-time?"

hint: the answer isn't no

Ryan would have to learn to play in the grass, in the cold.  

4 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

I wouldn’t jump the gun on that one yet. And don’t forget Bill was the HC of the Browns and was shown the door himself. 

He also won their last playoff game and was responsible for the Ravens getting Ray Lewis...he essentially started building the foundation of a 2-Time SB winning franchise

UK13 likes this

8 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Ryan would have more than Brady?  Come on now...lol.  No chance.  

People always sell Brady short. Belichick has won squat without him.  I think people resent TB because he is not a great athlete...but at the same time he is the 2nd best athlete of this century, behind LeBron.  And even that’s debatable

This is true.

The best thing to ever happen to Brady was Belichick.....and best thing to ever happen to Belichick was Brady. It was their destiny. 

FalconsIn2012 and No.11 like this

Just now, Vandy said:

The best thing to ever happen to Brady was Belichick.....and best thing to ever happen to Belichick was Brady. It was their destiny. 

You can’t parse the two apart.  It’s just a uniquely effective partnership.  

Vandy likes this