Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons Fan MVP

Matt Ryan is a Falcon until at least 2023. What year in the next 5 seasons do you think Matt Ryan is most likely to win a Lombardi for the Falcons?

46 posts in this topic

With Matt Ryan signing a 5 year contract he will be our quarterback for the 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023 season. It's a pretty good bet there will be a few successful seasons in there. My question is which of the upcoming 5 seasons do you think Matt Ryan is MOST LIKELY to win a championship for the Atlanta Falcons? In my opinion the most likely chance at a championship for Matt Ryan and the Falcons will be the 2020 season. What do you guys think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to have much of an opinion, who knows what moves are made thos offseason, what the draft looks like, etc. At this point we have no idea what the team will look like over the next few years.

ya_boi_j likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2020 for sure. Maybe 2022 but I'm not sure cause he'll be aging. 2020 is our best shot after we get a year in with a lot of the new coordinators and assistants coming in. I remember a writer or a former coach or manager comparing the 1991 Braves to the 2016 Falcons, if this is true, then the 1995 Braves would have to be the 2020 Falcons, and I can see that with how things will flow with the Falcons the next couple seasons.

Realistically, it's extremely hard for the majority of franchises to get back to the Super Bowl with over 50% of the same roster from the previous team. Especially after they lost the Super Bowl. I mean even with the Saints losing to the Rams in the NFC championship, Drew Brees still has only been to one and took advantage of his only opportunity. The 2004 Eagles and the 2017 Eagles. The 2003 Panthers and 2015 Panthers. The 2001 Rams and 2018 Rams, and so forth. The Cowboys of the 90's. The 49ers with Joe Montana. The Patriots with Brady & Belichick. The Steelers over the years. Those dynasties are exceptions, but most franchises aren't like that.

If the Falcons don't win a championship with Matt Ryan, then you're looking at 2028 with completely different roster, coaching staff, and manager. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kschreck said:

Hard to have much of an opinion, who knows what moves are made thos offseason, what the draft looks like, etc. At this point we have no idea what the team will look like over the next few years.

This

ChickenBiscuit likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

2020 for sure. Maybe 2022 but I'm not sure cause he'll be aging. 2020 is our best shot after we get a year in with a lot of the new coordinators and assistants coming in. I remember a writer or a former coach or manager comparing the 1991 Braves to the 2016 Falcons, if this is true, then the 1995 Braves would have to be the 2020 Falcons, and I can see that with how things will flow with the Falcons the next couple seasons.

Realistically, it's extremely hard for the majority of franchises to get back to the Super Bowl with over 50% of the same roster from the previous team. Especially after they lost the Super Bowl. I mean even with the Saints losing to the Rams in the NFC championship, Drew Brees still has only been to one and took advantage of his only opportunity. The 2004 Eagles and the 2017 Eagles. The 2003 Panthers and 2015 Panthers. The 2001 Rams and 2018 Rams, and so forth. The Cowboys of the 90's. The 49ers with Joe Montana. The Patriots with Brady & Belichick. The Steelers over the years. Those dynasties are exceptions, but most franchises aren't like that.

If the Falcons don't win a championship with Matt Ryan, then you're looking at 2028 with completely different roster, coaching staff, and manager. 

The Seahawks with Dan Quinn as a defensive coordinator made it to back to back Super Bowls so there is some hope. I think Dan Quinn is the right coach. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Borat said:

To be honest, I think we blew our three biggests shots in 1) 2017 (no explanation needed) 2) 2013 (Kap and Flacco -c'mon!) and 3) 2018 (we were better than the Eagles), in that order. 

This, this annnnnd this! 2013 NFCCG (probably had a fighting chance against the Ravens), SB LI, and last season in the divisional round (in chronological order). . . . . just as you laid out. 

With the way those 3 opportunities went, I'm no longer holding my breath. I'm just here to enjoy the ride on the rainbow of hope. 

Edited by Halcon-1
Borat likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Borat said:

To be honest, I think we blew our three biggests shots in 1) 2017 (no explanation needed) 2) 2013 (Kap and Flacco -c'mon!) and 3) 2018 (we were better than the Eagles), in that order. 

I think we would have beaten the Raiders for sure if we made it in 2002-2003 season.

Borat and BirdFan33 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Halcon-1 said:

This, this annnnnd this! 2013 NFCCG (probably had a fighting chance against the Ravens), SB LI, and last season in the divisional round (in chronological order). . . . . just as you laid out. 

With the way those 3 opportunities went, I'm no longer holding my breath. I'm just here to enjoy the ride on the rainbow of hope. 

Matt Ryan got banged up in SF 2012 game. I think Ravens would have beat us.

 

Godzilla1985 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The Seahawks with Dan Quinn as a defensive coordinator made it to back to back Super Bowls so there is some hope. I think Dan Quinn is the right coach. 

 

After they won tho, not after losing it. It's a lot tougher for Super Bowl losers to get back. It's already rare enough for Super Bowl winners to return to the Super Bowl. The Seahawks were one of the few NFC teams who accomplish that in the history, but after they blew it at the one yard line the following year they haven't had a season more than 10 wins or less than 5 losses. It seems like only AFC East teams can return to the Super Bowl after losing it such as the 1972 Dolphins, the Bills from 1991-1993, and the Patriots right now. 



With a franchise like ours in Atlanta, as much as I hate it, it's unlikely we return to the Super Bowl with Matt Ryan as our QB, and I hope we can overcome those odds, and I mean the ATLANTA Falcons overcoming those odds would be surreal. Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers took advantage of their only Super Bowl appearances. Cam Newton and Matt Ryan have each only been to the Super Bowl once but lost. Brett Favre and Russell Wilson went to the Super Bowl back to back years and won the first time, lost the next time. Brett Favre never returned the rest of his career. Russell Wilson still has years left ahead but for a running QB he isn't getting any younger.

 

That's the unfortunate thing about the NFL, it's not just about how hard it is to get back to that point, but all the salary cap restrictions and the contract money with your players. You have a Super Bowl roster, you're gonna have to pay those players and make a bunch of cuts (can't afford everybody), and then the team is never the same, players get old, and so forth. NFL teams that were bad the year you went to the Super Bowl, end up becoming really good the following years while your team regresses, combined with the flow of your schedule. You have a very manageable schedule when you were contenders and your most key players stayed healthy the whole year. The NFL gives you a tougher schedule as you drop to pretenders and then injuries pile up to your most key players. You honestly don't know how things will play out.

 

If the Falcons don't get it done in 2020, IMO it's a completely different group when we get back in that position in 2028, and assuming it's 2028, we'll probably be coming off a horrific 2027 and then nobody thought coming into the season 2028 would be a Super Bowl contending team. That's how it works with a lot of franchises who win their first championship. They had an 8-8 record or worse the previous year not expecting anything coming into the following "come out of no where" season. It happened to the 2017 Eagles after going 7-9 in 2016, or the 2009 Saints after going 8-8 in 2008. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think we would have beaten the Raiders for sure if we made it in 2002-2003 season.

That 2002 Falcons team at 9-6-1 was not really a championship contender. They were a playoff contender simply put. We upset the Packers in Green Bay, but got stomped in Philly in the divisional round (as usual) and then the 12-4 Bucs who swept us badly in the regular season dominated that Eagles team in Philly and they cruised to a Super Bowl win against a really good Raiders team, and remember Jon Gruden coached that Raiders team the year before, so he knew them very well.

The 2004 Falcons on the other hand I would say were definitely championship contenders, 11-5 with the #2 seed, and our schedule had the AFC West + NFC West (just like 2016) and had more impressive wins. They dominated the Rams in the divisional round, but nobody was gonna beat that 13-3 Eagles team in Philly with Donovan McNabb. It took a neutral site, a banged up Eagles team, and spygate for the Patriots to barely squeak out that Super Bowl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, octoslash said:

My guess is they'll win it in the year 2387, about 350 years after I'm dead. 

I know how you feel!

octoslash likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mqg96 said:

After they won tho, not after losing it. It's a lot tougher for Super Bowl losers to get back. It's already rare enough for Super Bowl winners to return to the Super Bowl. The Seahawks were one of the few NFC teams who accomplish that in the history, but after they blew it at the one yard line the following year they haven't had a season more than 10 wins or less than 5 losses. It seems like only AFC East teams can return to the Super Bowl after losing it such as the 1972 Dolphins, the Bills from 1991-1993, and the Patriots right now. 



With a franchise like ours in Atlanta, as much as I hate it, it's unlikely we return to the Super Bowl with Matt Ryan as our QB, and I hope we can overcome those odds, and I mean the ATLANTA Falcons overcoming those odds would be surreal. Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers took advantage of their only Super Bowl appearances. Cam Newton and Matt Ryan have each only been to the Super Bowl once but lost. Brett Favre and Russell Wilson went to the Super Bowl back to back years and won the first time, lost the next time. Brett Favre never returned the rest of his career. Russell Wilson still has years left ahead but for a running QB he isn't getting any younger.

 

That's the unfortunate thing about the NFL, it's not just about how hard it is to get back to that point, but all the salary cap restrictions and the contract money with your players. You have a Super Bowl roster, you're gonna have to pay those players and make a bunch of cuts (can't afford everybody), and then the team is never the same, players get old, and so forth. NFL teams that were bad the year you went to the Super Bowl, end up becoming really good the following years while your team regresses, combined with the flow of your schedule. You have a very manageable schedule when you were contenders and your most key players stayed healthy the whole year. The NFL gives you a tougher schedule as you drop to pretenders and then injuries pile up to your most key players. You honestly don't know how things will play out.

 

If the Falcons don't get it done in 2020, IMO it's a completely different group when we get back in that position in 2028, and assuming it's 2028, we'll probably be coming off a horrific 2027 and then nobody thought coming into the season 2028 would be a Super Bowl contending team. That's how it works with a lot of franchises who win their first championship. They had an 8-8 record or worse the previous year not expecting anything coming into the following "come out of no where" season. It happened to the 2017 Eagles after going 7-9 in 2016, or the 2009 Saints after going 8-8 in 2008. 

One thing that gives me hope about the Falcons would be losing the 2012 NFCCG and coming back 4 years later and crushing the opponent.

JDaveG likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Borat said:

To be honest, I think we blew our three biggests shots in 1) 2017 (no explanation needed) 2) 2013 (Kap and Flacco -c'mon!) and 3) 2018 (we were better than the Eagles), in that order. 

Those of you who don’t remember that 1980 team just don’t know. That was head and shoulders the best team in the NFL. 

Leeman had to take his foot off the gas. Before there was 28-13, there was 24-10. 

FalconinPA, octoslash and Borat like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Those of you who don’t remember that 1980 team just don’t know. That was head and shoulders the best team in the NFL. 

Leeman had to take his foot off the gas. Before there was 28-13, there was 24-10. 

24-10 my ***.  27-17 in the 4th.   And then along came Jones - across the line - and Van Note doesn't snap the ball!  

I remember singing the "Leeman Bennett Super Bowl Team" to 12 days of Christmas all that day before the game.    Crushing.

JDaveG, octoslash and Kaptain Krazy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

With Matt Ryan signing a 5 year contract he will be our quarterback for the 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023 season. It's a pretty good bet there will be a few successful seasons in there. My question is which of the upcoming 5 seasons do you think Matt Ryan is MOST LIKELY to win a championship for the Atlanta Falcons? In my opinion the most likely chance at a championship for Matt Ryan and the Falcons will be the 2020 season. What do you guys think?

 

The thing is - winning a Super Bowl is a team effort - and it requires not only the team - but luck.   The scheduling, injuries, the bounce of the ball in games, the calls and no calls (jab NO) - everything has to go right just to get there.    There are great teams in the NFL - and those great teams play other great teams and any given Sunday a game can go either way.   Some years you win those games by less than a score more than you lose them and other years you lose them more than you win them.

But, if you get there - if you make it - then you have to hope that every player on your team is ready.   That they can handle the pressure of the Super Bowl hoopla and be ready to get out there and do their job - not just 3 quarters - not just 3 3/4 quarters - but all 4 quarters - and into overtime if it takes it.   The near misses, drops, missed assignments, missed blocks. underthrows, overthrows, miscommunications - any one of them - any one of them - could be the one that ends your dream.

That's what the Patriots are good at.   Sound football - doing their job - each man.   Continuity of scheme.   You say - they change their schemes - and it's true - but it's the same coaches - the same communications - guys they know and trust - and understand and it all goes smoothly when that happens.   

We keep changing coordinators - that's killing us.    We don't build the lines - the trenches - the strength of any team - the first battle of every play - the leverage making part of the game.   Disadvantage Falcons every single time we do that.

So - it's possible that we get there - and it's possible that we win - but the team has to be playing in sync - and everyone has to be doing their job.   The coordinators, coaches, assistant coaches, position coaches and players all have to be on the same page - and the luck has to be with you too.   So, nobody here can really call it.   

We can hope - we can guess, but truth is - all we can really do - is wait and see.

mqg96 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the stage is set for the Falcons to win it all in 2019. I think it's all coming full circle, with Ryan's past and present coming together. Matt Ryan, the model of consistency, is at the peak of his powers, having mastered multiple offensive systems. I originally didn't like the Koetter hire, but I do remember Koetter could draw up some creative plays from time to time. I think DQ will allow him to be aggressive and push the boundaries of what can be done on offense. With him, Mularkey, Chris Morgan, Matt Shaub, Gregg Knapp, and Ryan in the meeting rooms, we'll have guys with a wealth of knowledge and experience from different offensive systems collaborating and designing an offense possibly unlike anything we've ever seen. I'm kind of excited to see what comes of that.

Also, with Koetter and Mularkey in house, we have guys who know how to close games afrom the Smitty days. I said before that if you mixed together DQ and Smitty, you would get a coach in the mold of Bill Belichick. With two of Smitty's former understudies back, that may not be so far from being a reality. We get DQ's aggressive nature with the conservative know how and discipline from DK and MM. That may be the most important detail.

Finally, the man who coached the league's #1 defense in consecutive seasons from 2013-2014 is reassuming defensive playcalling duties. This unit is already top 10 at full strength. I think they kick it up a notch or two with DQ calling the shots.

So my way-too-early-ridiculously-bold-prediction is that the Falcons are primed for a dynastic surge starting in2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Borat said:

To be honest, I think we blew our three biggests shots in 1) 2017 (no explanation needed) 2) 2013 (Kap and Flacco -c'mon!) and 3) 2018 (we were better than the Eagles), in that order. 

Could be, as I’ll go to my grave believing we should already have 2 rings...but falcons still have one of NFL more talented teams (on paper)....

A lot depends on freeman returning to health for the offense....and Quinn running the defense..

Borat likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Could be, but falcons still have one of NFL more talented teams (on paper)....

A lot depends on freeman returning to health for the offense....and Quinn running the defense..

We have the talent, but based on the past 2 seasons we haven't maximized our talent well. There's teams with just as much talent as us or less out of the NFC who have had better seasons than us 2 years in a row or just this past season. 

 

46 minutes ago, Tandy said:

The thing is - winning a Super Bowl is a team effort - and it requires not only the team - but luck.   The scheduling, injuries, the bounce of the ball in games, the calls and no calls (jab NO) - everything has to go right just to get there.    There are great teams in the NFL - and those great teams play other great teams and any given Sunday a game can go either way.   Some years you win those games by less than a score more than you lose them and other years you lose them more than you win them.

That's what the Patriots are good at.   Sound football - doing their job - each man.   Continuity of scheme.   You say - they change their schemes - and it's true - but it's the same coaches - the same communications - guys they know and trust - and understand and it all goes smoothly when that happens.   

We keep changing coordinators - that's killing us.    We don't build the lines - the trenches - the strength of any team - the first battle of every play - the leverage making part of the game.   Disadvantage Falcons every single time we do that.

So - it's possible that we get there - and it's possible that we win - but the team has to be playing in sync - and everyone has to be doing their job.   The coordinators, coaches, assistant coaches, position coaches and players all have to be on the same page - and the luck has to be with you too.   So, nobody here can really call it.   

Couldn't have said it better than myself. You nailed it. This is pretty much what I was trying to explain. As a die hard fan you really want your team to get back to the Super Bowl so badly especially if you know the talent and the continuity you've had, but in reality getting back to the Super Bowl and the scenarios that have to bounce your way in order to get to that point are so difficult in this league. Belichick and the Patriots are the greatest in the past decade and a half at adjustments.

 

Dan Quinn has proven to me in his 4 seasons here that he's very poor with adjustments, not just the blown leads in the 2nd half, but adjusting to the new league and the new upcoming teams in general. Once teams figure your old strategies out, then you must outsmart them back. This is also combined with the fact that the front office has failed to address the trenches like you mentioned. High powered offenses are great in the regular season and the postseason, but history says that the majority of record setting offenses don't win it all. The Chiefs suffered that this year, as well as the 2016 Falcons, 2013 Broncos, 2012 Patriots, 2011 Packers, 2007 Patriots, 1998 Vikings, and so forth. It always starts with the trenches and defense wins championships. 2018 is a rare exception and I believe the stats are skewed because of defenses getting adjusted to the new helmet rule the first half of the year, but Belichick always gets his defenses playing like a top 10 unit late in the year, and the Rams have play makers at the D-line who get it done when it matters most, despite a suspect secondary.

 

The Falcons have talent, but they don't have play makers or big dawgs up front who get it done in clutch time when it matters most on a consistent basis. Grady Jarrett is great but he's not Aaron Donald or Justin Houston type money IMO. The Falcons O-line outside of Alex Mack who's getting old and Jake Matthews....... (**censored**). People can say we have talent all they want, but it means nothing without the right coaching staff, and what if some of our personnel aren't as good as we really thought it was? Such as our corner position or SOME of our linebacker corps? I can name some teams from the NFC who were better than the Falcons in 2017, 2018, or both. The Saints 2 years in a row. Despite our dominance over the Panthers, they've done better against common opponents than us 2 years in a row. The Rams this year. The Vikings 2 years in a row. The Seahawks this year. The Cowboys this year. The Eagles 2 years in a row.

Tandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

We have the talent, but based on the past 2 seasons we haven't maximized our talent well. There's teams with just as much talent as us or less out of the NFC who have had better seasons than us 2 years in a row or just this past season. 

 

Couldn't have said it better than myself. You nailed it. This is pretty much what I was trying to explain. As a die hard fan you really want your team to get back to the Super Bowl so badly especially if you know the talent and the continuity you've had, but in reality getting back to the Super Bowl and the scenarios that have to bounce your way in order to get to that point are so difficult in this league. Belichick and the Patriots are the greatest in the past decade and a half at adjustments.

 

Dan Quinn has proven to me in his 4 seasons here that he's very poor with adjustments, not just the blown leads in the 2nd half, but adjusting to the new league and the new upcoming teams in general. Once teams figure your old strategies out, then you must outsmart them back. This is also combined with the fact that the front office has failed to address the trenches like you mentioned. High powered offenses are great in the regular season and the postseason, but history says that the majority of record setting offenses don't win it all. The Chiefs suffered that this year, as well as the 2016 Falcons, 2013 Broncos, 2012 Patriots, 2011 Packers, 2007 Patriots, 1998 Vikings, and so forth. It always starts with the trenches and defense wins championships. 2018 is a rare exception and I believe the stats are skewed because of defenses getting adjusted to the new helmet rule the first half of the year, but Belichick always gets his defenses playing like a top 10 unit late in the year, and the Rams have play makers at the D-line who get it done when it matters most, despite a suspect secondary.

Only a couple teams have maximized their talent better than Atlanta has over last 3 seasons. So I strongly disagree with you there.

I do agree with you on Quinn’s inability to make adjustments. That inability to adjust is the primary reason we didn’t make playoffs this past season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

We have the talent, but based on the past 2 seasons we haven't maximized our talent well. There's teams with just as much talent as us or less out of the NFC who have had better seasons than us 2 years in a row or just this past season. 

 

Couldn't have said it better than myself. You nailed it. This is pretty much what I was trying to explain. As a die hard fan you really want your team to get back to the Super Bowl so badly especially if you know the talent and the continuity you've had, but in reality getting back to the Super Bowl and the scenarios that have to bounce your way in order to get to that point are so difficult in this league. Belichick and the Patriots are the greatest in the past decade and a half at adjustments.

 

Dan Quinn has proven to me in his 4 seasons here that he's very poor with adjustments, not just the blown leads in the 2nd half, but adjusting to the new league and the new upcoming teams in general. Once teams figure your old strategies out, then you must outsmart them back. This is also combined with the fact that the front office has failed to address the trenches like you mentioned. High powered offenses are great in the regular season and the postseason, but history says that the majority of record setting offenses don't win it all. The Chiefs suffered that this year, as well as the 2016 Falcons, 2013 Broncos, 2012 Patriots, 2011 Packers, 2007 Patriots, 1998 Vikings, and so forth. It always starts with the trenches and defense wins championships. 2018 is a rare exception and I believe the stats are skewed because of defenses getting adjusted to the new helmet rule the first half of the year, but Belichick always gets his defenses playing like a top 10 unit late in the year, and the Rams have play makers at the D-line who get it done when it matters most, despite a suspect secondary.

 

The Falcons have talent, but they don't have play makers or big dawgs up front who get it done in clutch time when it matters most on a consistent basis. Grady Jarrett is great but he's not Aaron Donald or Justin Houston type money IMO. The Falcons O-line outside of Alex Mack who's getting old and Jake Matthews....... (**censored**). People can say we have talent all they want, but it means nothing without the right coaching staff, and what if some of our personnel aren't as good as we really thought it was? Such as our corner position or SOME of our linebacker corps? I can name some teams from the NFC who were better than the Falcons in 2017, 2018, or both. The Saints 2 years in a row. Despite our dominance over the Panthers, they've done better against common opponents than us 2 years in a row. The Rams this year. The Vikings 2 years in a row. The Seahawks this year. The Cowboys this year. The Eagles 2 years in a row.

The Falcons have talent, but they dont have great lines.   They have a couple of good to great pieces, but it is by far the weak link on our team. 

I really hope they finally see the light and address that this year.    Even if they do, it is rare for those lines to play as an elite unit the first year together

mqg96 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget though, the Patriots are almost guaranteed 5-6 wins  every single season just for being in a crap division.  

If the Falcons were spotted 5 wins before every season, I'd expect them to make the playoffs every year too.

mqg96, Tandy and Falcons Fan MVP like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0