lju713

Montrez Sweat will be the pick at 14

69 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Beasley's agent would laugh at that offer. He thinks a 3-4 team will pay Beasley more. Let him walk.

Let him laugh at it. Beasley will have a harsh reality

12 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Think we give Beasley a longer deal with less money

I hope we give him a get out of town pass and use the 12m on a real player

11 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Wasn’t the rumor the Falcons turned down and offer for a third for Vic at the deadline? He actually played better after the deadline passed.

11 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I don’t believe that rumor.  Where did you hear this?

If some team offered up a 3rd for Beasley and the Falcons turned it down.... someone needs to be fired.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

Just now, egoprime II said:

If some team offered up a 3rd for Beasley and the Falcons turned it down.... someone needs to be fired.

I would tend to agree. I wonder if Quinn had it in his mind he was taking over the defense and felt he could use him better and get back to 2016 numbers...which was the last time he had his hands on the defense.

egoprime II and Geaux_Falcons like this

11 hours ago, MSalmon said:

I agree. There are a lot of good DTs. The real elite ones go top ten. It could be a great year to nab a Sweat, Polite ir the rising Jaylon Ferguson. In our system we don’t have to have a bunch of Grady Jarrets. We need a few cloggers or sign McCoy I’d cut.

grabbing a pass rusher at 14 makes a lot of sense. 

You know, the big problem with the O line is, you can have four of your five starters be Pro Bowlers.  But... if that fifth starter is below average, then your O line can stink (SEE:  Adrian Clayborn against Dallas in 2017).

On the other hand...if you have even just one dominant pass rusher, even a part time one...then you have someone who can affect a game (SEE:  John Abraham under Smitty).

If spending our 1st on an O lineman gets us that 'missing piece' after a fruitful FA haul, and that lineman is BPA and is clearly better than those thought to be available later on.... maybe, that's the way to go.  But if the goal is to get that one player who can have the biggest immediate impact in games... then a pass-rusher is most likely the best choice.

Edited by egoprime II
FalconFanSince1970 and MSalmon like this

11 hours ago, MSalmon said:

I agree. There are a lot of good DTs. The real elite ones go top ten. It could be a great year to nab a Sweat, Polite ir the rising Jaylon Ferguson. In our system we don’t have to have a bunch of Grady Jarrets. We need a few cloggers or sign McCoy I’d cut.

grabbing a pass rusher at 14 makes a lot of sense. 

Donald and Cox went in the teens. Rankins at 12, Jones was round 2, Short round 2, Grady round 5. Most of the Top DTs actually went outside the top 10. McCoy and Suh had good runs, but that’s all I can recall. Actually looking back, very few DTs are even drafted in the top 10.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2013&round=round1

egoprime II and MSalmon like this

Just now, 1989Fan said:

Donald and Cox went in the teens. Jones was round 2, Grady round 5. Most of the Top DTs actually went outside the top 10. McCoy and Suh has good runs, but that’s all I can recall. Actually looking back, very few DTs are even drafted in the top 10.

There were some that went but literally fizzled out. And many took a long time to develop or haven't really developed as of yet

12 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

You know, the big problem with the O line is, you can have four of your five starters be Pro Bowlers.  But... if that fifth starter is below average, then your O line can stink (SEE:  Adrian Clayborn against Dallas in 2017).

On the other hand...if you have even just one dominant pass rusher, even a part time one...then you have someone who can affect a game (SEE:  John Abraham under Smitty).

If spending our 1st on an O lineman gets us that 'missing piece' after a fruitful FA haul, and that lineman is BPA and is clearly better than those thought to be available later on.... maybe, that's the way to go.  But if the goal is to get that one player who can have the biggest immediate impact in games... then a pass-rusher is most likely the best choice.

I agree. It's a wicked problem. You're spot on. Pass rushing depth and quality is just a huge weapon. And when you have a Grady and Crawford who are both ascending in the Sack dept and assuming we get Irvin cheap, find a way to keep Vic at least a year and Takk it makes sense to add an explosive pass rusher that'll be cheap, under control for five years at a premium position  in a rare year that we're picking at #14. Ferrel, Sweat, Polite and Ferguson all seem like guys who can contribute immediately in a rotation and easy to groom. All fit that physical profile (even though they're different sizes) that DQ loves. One or more will be available. 

I say jump on it. I also think RT can be addressed in 2nd and 3rd rounds if not in FA. Or we can roll with Schraeder (maybe he was injured) and grab a G. Ditto with DT. We need bull strong and Mebane types more. 

I do think Devin White would be tempting. But again a playmaker at a rare draft position for us. I must admit watching the two LSU boys running wild and tearing sh I T up does make my eyes water a bit.

I whether trade down draft cody ford. Then trade back into the 1st rd and get a dt 

Edited by RazorWing

1 hour ago, egoprime II said:

But if you only have one bad OL, you can provide help from TE, RB chip etc. the Clayborn game was an example of how clueless Garrett is, as he made no adjustments and never provided help.

we have 3 crappy OLmen, so you can’t help them all. Hope we invest big on the OL!

the good thing is we should be able to hit BPA and need with where we sit and the needs we have (OT, OG, DE, DT)

egoprime II likes this

46 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

I agree. It's a wicked problem. You're spot on. Pass rushing depth and quality is just a huge weapon. And when you have a Grady and Crawford who are both ascending in the Sack dept and assuming we get Irvin cheap, find a way to keep Vic at least a year and Takk it makes sense to add an explosive pass rusher that'll be cheap, under control for five years at a premium position  in a rare year that we're picking at #14. Ferrel, Sweat, Polite and Ferguson all seem like guys who can contribute immediately in a rotation and easy to groom. All fit that physical profile (even though they're different sizes) that DQ loves. One or more will be available. 

I say jump on it. I also think RT can be addressed in 2nd and 3rd rounds if not in FA. Or we can roll with Schraeder (maybe he was injured) and grab a G. Ditto with DT. We need bull strong and Mebane types more. 

I do think Devin White would be tempting. But again a playmaker at a rare draft position for us. I must admit watching the two LSU boys running wild and tearing sh I T up does make my eyes water a bit.

TD's motto is, "you can never have enough CB's."   He needs to change it to, "you can never have enough pass rushers".  Case in point: the NY Giants.  They destroyed the Falcons in 2011 playoffs because they put their four DE's on the LOS and simply overmatched our O line with their combination of speed agility and power.  Turner found his run lanes clogged up, and Ryan could not allow his passing routes to develop... which shortened the field to 12-15 yards, nullifying Julio.   The Giants' pass rush was so good, they managed to beat NE twice in the Super Bowl. 

When we drafted Takk, TD felt he needed to trade our 1st and 3rd to move up and get him.  Now our Falcons are in a prime spot to get an elite level pass rusher AND keep all our picks.  So, yeah, I think you are right....unless the BPA at another position is Just That Good...right now I don't see one...., we need to draft someone that can "affect the QB" (DQ's words).

Also:  drafting another DE type -might- just get Beasley's attention... to the point where Vic's game improves several notches. 

MSalmon likes this

38 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

But if you only have one bad OL, you can provide help from TE, RB chip etc. the Clayborn game was an example of how clueless Garrett is, as he made no adjustments and never provided help.

we have 3 crappy OLmen, so you can’t help them all. Hope we invest big on the OL!

the good thing is we should be able to hit BPA and need with where we sit and the needs we have (OT, OG, DE, DT)

I agree our O line needs a lot of help?  As a position group, In order of importance O line is 1A (D line is 1B).

What I am saying, is one very good pass rusher can make more of a difference than one very good O lineman.  Because the O line operates as a unit moreso than any other position group.

There are exceptions.  Show me an OG like Quentin Nelson in this draft, and well....that would be hard to pass on.  Then again he wouldn't slide to us....

As far as keeping TE's and RB's to block..... that's ok, but then you reduce the number of weapons available to make plays with.  Might as well have six O linemen out there.

1989Fan and MSalmon like this

I would let Vic walk and use his 12 million toward either a FA DE (like Flowers) or DT (like McCoy or Suh). Then you can draft the other BPA at DL/DE in the first. It will be interesting to see who falls as edge players are usually drafted before DL. Then take best OL available in second.

Edited by Bigbenright
error

3 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

I would tend to agree. I wonder if Quinn had it in his mind he was taking over the defense and felt he could use him better and get back to 2016 numbers...which was the last time he had his hands on the defense.

I'm of this belief. At the very least he likes him enough to make him a situational pass rusher and will try to extend him as one and not an elite DE.

15 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

I'm of this belief. At the very least he likes him enough to make him a situational pass rusher and will try to extend him as one and not an elite DE.

He sure looked much better after the trade deadline, towards the end of the season when they lowered his snap count. If we can get a Brian Robison-esque performance out of him as a situational player I would be very pleased.

1 hour ago, egoprime II said:

TD's motto is, "you can never have enough CB's."   He needs to change it to, "you can never have enough pass rushers".  Case in point: the NY Giants.  They destroyed the Falcons in 2011 playoffs because they put their four DE's on the LOS and simply overmatched our O line with their combination of speed agility and power.  Turner found his run lanes clogged up, and Ryan could not allow his passing routes to develop... which shortened the field to 12-15 yards, nullifying Julio.   The Giants' pass rush was so good, they managed to beat NE twice in the Super Bowl. 

When we drafted Takk, TD felt he needed to trade our 1st and 3rd to move up and get him.  Now our Falcons are in a prime spot to get an elite level pass rusher AND keep all our picks.  So, yeah, I think you are right....unless the BPA at another position is Just That Good...right now I don't see one...., we need to draft someone that can "affect the QB" (DQ's words).

Also:  drafting another DE type -might- just get Beasley's attention... to the point where Vic's game improves several notches. 

Good post

egoprime II likes this

On 1/25/2019 at 7:42 PM, lju713 said:

6'5 250lb and has quick hands,counter moves,and that bend all good pass rushers have. Miss State has been pumping out good defenders in the front 7, so I know he coached up. We need DT, but we can find a run stuffer in the 3rd or 4th.

Drafting Sweat gives us the option to trade Vic Beasley and get a pick. 12M is alot to pay him, we need to sign Grady Jarrett, and Sweat has that alpha dog mentality this D needs.

I would love that pick,, and if he's not there,, I'm hoping for DE Jazz Fergason 6'4, 260 lbs,  Ran a 4.32 and a 4.50 in the 2nd round...

1 hour ago, Draftnut57 said:

I would love that pick,, and if he's not there,, I'm hoping for DE Jazz Fergason 6'4, 260 lbs,  Ran a 4.32 and a 4.50 in the 2nd round...

this is a typo, but what was his first 40 time? cause i know it wasnt 4.32. but 4.50 is fast! im gonna compare footage between sweat and fergason because it is comparable.

Draftnut57 likes this

im not that high on de this year either. dt, wr, some lbs and then safeties late. thats what i see.